Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Global Warming .... I've had enough (merged)

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Global Warming .... I've had enough (merged)

Old 25th Jan 2007, 10:01
  #661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: He's on the limb to nowhere
Posts: 1,981
Jeez smithy, if I was to spend all day reading that instead of working down the task list the mrs gave me this morning I would get a beating of epic proportions when she gets back tonight.

Besides, it's an economic report, and I don't have the expertise to critique it. All I can do is read reviews from trusted sources. Now it may totally destroy the little credibility I have on here, but I rate the BBC quite highly as far as news organisations go. So when ORAC posts a link to a BBC page which questions the report, that makes me stop and think that perhaps there are problems in the report itself.

It doesn't mean that the whole report should be dismissed, but it means that perhaps it could be improved on. I don't know.

Anyway, you can stop ranting on about the BBC being totally pro one side now, and stop ranting on about how only one side of the argument is being publicised. Now get back to ranting about how we greens (and I and not sure how I can be classified as green, but it suits your argument) are going to take your petrol cars off you and make you use cow dung burnt in steam traction engines to get to work.
slim_slag is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2007, 10:16
  #662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: .
Age: 32
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by slim_slag View Post
Jeez smithy, if I was to spend all day reading that instead of working down the task list the mrs gave me this morning I would get a beating of epic proportions when she gets back tonight.

Besides, it's an economic report, and I don't have the expertise to critique it. All I can do is read reviews from trusted sources. Now it may totally destroy the little credibility I have on here, but I rate the BBC quite highly as far as news organisations go. So when ORAC posts a link to a BBC page which questions the report, that makes me stop and think that perhaps there are problems in the report itself.

It doesn't mean that the whole report should be dismissed, but it means that perhaps it could be improved on. I don't know.

Anyway, you can stop ranting on about the BBC being totally pro one side now, and stop ranting on about how only one side of the argument is being publicised. Now get back to ranting about how we greens (and I and not sure how I can be classified as green, but it suits your argument) are going to take your petrol cars off you and make you use cow dung burnt in steam traction engines to get to work.
Yes, the report is a bit long-winded. Basically all it says is "The world is going to hell in a handbasket and we're all going to die". Heard it all before, really.
Captain Smithy is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2007, 10:28
  #663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: He's on the limb to nowhere
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by Captain Smithy View Post
Yes, the report is a bit long-winded. Basically all it says is "The world is going to hell in a handbasket and we're all going to die". Heard it all before, really.
Actually I don't think it says that at all, as a quick review of the executive summary doesn't give any prediction of how the many scenarios presented translate to death rates. The report predicts an increase in disease and hunger, from which you might suspect an increase in deaths, but doesn't say we are all going to die. But hey, it suits some to ignore the facts and get all hysterical, don't you say?

Better do some real work though or I shall be in big trouble tonight
slim_slag is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2007, 10:31
  #664 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: France
Posts: 69
I wonder in what way the planet has ever suffered, or ever suffered and not recovered. Doesn't Earth's history show that the planet will just keep rolling along, long after man's demise?

Yes, from an economic point of view we should not squander resources, but in the big scheme of things, there may well be a lot of paranoia. One long-overdue super-volcano blast will put CO2 emissions into perspective, won't it?
matelot is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2007, 10:36
  #665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Surrounding the localizer
Posts: 2,198
Yes, from an economic point of view we should not squander resources, but in the big scheme of things, there may well be a lot of paranoia. One long-overdue super-volcano blast will put CO2 emissions into perspective, won't it?
Now now matelot, that kind of common sense logic just won't do...you have been warned!
Come back when you can imagine a man made catastrophe that will kill millions......and we must change our behaviour now!!
haughtney1 is offline  
Old 25th Jan 2007, 14:15
  #666 (permalink)  
Dushan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Originally Posted by Captain Smithy View Post
Nothing wrong with being American. At all. Have no shame.
Thanks Captain.

BTW I an not American, I am Canadian. Just can't stand it when people (mostly on the left) bash Americans like it's a sport.
 
Old 25th Jan 2007, 17:08
  #667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 112
Originally Posted by matelot View Post
I wonder in what way the planet has ever suffered, or ever suffered and not recovered. Doesn't Earth's history show that the planet will just keep rolling along, long after man's demise?
Well, luckily you won't be here to experience the predicted demise - you get to enjoy taking the car for long drives. The argument is our kiddies or grand-kiddies are quite literally going to suffer, be that from rapidly depleted resources or the wars that ensue as people fight for them, or even as the beachfront property you bequeathed to them topples in to the sea.

One long-overdue super-volcano blast will put CO2 emissions into perspective, won't it?
Maybe a pedant, but that isn't actually the case. As an aside it would be interesting to see the the figures for what atmospheric substance exceeds CO2 when it comes to human contributions.
Sunray Minor is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2007, 07:34
  #668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somerset, UK
Age: 70
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Sunray Minor View Post
As an aside it would be interesting to see the the figures for what atmospheric substance exceeds CO2 when it comes to human contributions.
Hot air and bullshit to name two.
Choxolate is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2007, 08:20
  #669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: .
Age: 32
Posts: 650
Originally Posted by Choxolate View Post
Hot air and bullshit to name two.


Indeed!
Captain Smithy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.