Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Getting a job abroad (from the UK)

Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Getting a job abroad (from the UK)

Old 7th Nov 2015, 15:22
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Manchester
Age: 23
Posts: 1
Getting a job abroad (from the UK)


I'm currently studying a degree in Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies in the UK (I'd like to withhold the University name for privacy if that's okay). By the end of my degree I should have all the qualifications for a frozen-ATPL (all going well) from EASA/CAA.
I'm not particularly fussed about where I fly, particularly given that I love travelling and love going to new places, but have a penchant for Asia! Lots of my coursemates are fixed on flying in the UK, for airlines like EasyJet, Ryanair. Or trying to get on sponsorship schemes like the BA and Virgin ones. I wouldn't mind those, but I'd also like to broaden my horizon.
I am aware that the licences gained in the UK are well-renowned and are well respected (so therefore easy to transfer), first of all, I'd like to check if that is actually correct...?
I'd consider getting a job as a pilot in places like Australia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, those kinds of places. But what are the restrictions like in terms of visas and being able to actually get a job there as a UK citizen? I'm worried that I won't be able to get a job simply because I'm not a citizen of that country!
And what are the prospects for someone who has a frozen-ATPL, but no type rating? If you're good enough, will airlines take you in still? I've been told different things, and some vague things by my lecturers so I'm not entirely sure!
Does anybody have any experience of this? Or could offer any advice? It would be much appreciated!
Thank you in advance.
dmorrell96 is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2015, 18:34
  #2 (permalink)  

PPRuNe Handmaiden
Join Date: Feb 1997
Location: Duit On Mon Dei
Posts: 4,287
Your licence is as easy to transfer as your experience and ability allows.
Note, on completion of this course, you'll hold a CPL + IR + ATPL subjects.
Therefore, if you go to Australia (for example), you'll still have to do the Australian ATPL subjects which are no pushover.

As a UK citizen. you're entitled to Europe. Do you have any ancestral rights any where? For sure there are some places in the world that don't require a huge hurdle for visas but you'll probably need some experience to attract their interest. (Eg Emirates and Cathay).

Australia and New Zealand uses the points system for immigration/visas. You're definitely young enough and can speak English, that's a good thing. But not sure what else you can bring to the mix WRT the points system.

Will you get a job at the end? Who knows? Who knows what the market will be by the time you complete the course? However, it is not common for an untagged CPL graduate to go straight to a jet (at the moment).

Good luck
redsnail is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.