Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)

Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)

Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:08
  #8761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Wondrex View Post
​​​​​​Here we go again... I have a first pass in everything in the world plus I'm a engineer, sorry a Mechanical Engineer so it's just impossible I could make a mistake and fail an airline interview.
Welcome in the very prestigious "I never doubt myself" pilot club... Pathetic. Glad I won't be your colleage!

Good luck with your career and next assessments
please read carefully what I wrote (the original feedback), have I ever said I hadn't make any mistake ?
I said the the interview went good, and this is true, and I would be the happiest person in the world knowing which errors I have done, because I want to improve.
But unfortunately they don't give any feedback, and it is very difficult to figure out on my own without any external clue.

I'm my opinion in went good, because I answered to any question when the assessor said "oh very good answer".
Furthermore I flew the sim in the same way I was taught in my MCC course (same simulator, same aircraft).

Considering also that all my mates failed the interview 2/3 months ago, and only 1 over 7 got the job that day, can I suspect something strange that goes further than my possible mistakes ?
Pinuz89 is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:11
  #8762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Wondrex View Post
​​​​​​Here we go again... I have a first pass in everything in the world plus I'm a engineer, sorry a Mechanical Engineer so it's just impossible I could make a mistake and fail an airline interview.
Welcome in the very prestigious "I never doubt myself" pilot club... Pathetic. Glad I won't be your colleage!

Good luck with your career and next assessments
anyway don't worry too much, I glad not to be your collegue as well !
Pinuz89 is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:24
  #8763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cannes
Posts: 51
There are some reasons why Ryanair can increase the passing score:
- fleet growth is frozen right now (no new deliveries since mid-December, as far as I can see)
- terms are not so bad as before so fewer departures
- 737MAX grounded meaning overstaff for other airlines and not Ryanair. So, experienced FOs can look at FR

I also failed the interview but reasons are a little bit clear
RomanK is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:34
  #8764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: World
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Pinuz89 View Post
I'm not blaming Ryanair because I didn't get the job.
I'm saying that it really unlikely that a person (like me, and the others) with a first time pass in everything, young, with a degree in mechanical engineering, is not a good fit for them.
The interview went very good, the sim as well.
The same could be said for the other guys I met there.
Everyone with multiple experience, coming from the best schools in Europe.


Now I have other opportunities, who care about Ryanair any more !
You are just a fool I am afraid. You think that because you passed everything first time they should give you a job??? In your head then, they should just give you the job because you "assume" you are perfect or because you think you went to best school?
Are you an aviation/hr expert to determine whether the interview & sim were very good?
I feel sorry for the airline that might consider giving you a job!
aviationfanatic is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:41
  #8765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Nantes, France
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Pinuz89 View Post
please read carefully what I wrote (the original feedback), have I ever said I hadn't make any mistake ?
I said the the interview went good, and this is true, and I would be the happiest person in the world knowing which errors I have done, because I want to improve.
But unfortunately they don't give any feedback, and it is very difficult to figure out on my own without any external clue.

I'm my opinion in went good, because I answered to any question when the assessor said "oh very good answer".
Furthermore I flew the sim in the same way I was taught in my MCC course (same simulator, same aircraft).

Considering also that all my mates failed the interview 2/3 months ago, and only 1 over 7 got the job that day, can I suspect something strange that goes further than my possible mistakes ?
Please read carefully what I wrote (the original feedback). Okay, let's read it again. You clearly pretend you got rejected because RYR need money not because you might not meet the standards/requirements"

Than, I quote :"I'm saying that it really unlikely that a person (like me, and the others) with a first time pass in everything, young, with a degree in mechanical engineering, is not a good fit for them."

When I did my interview we were 8. 7 of us got the job. One week later, I heard O'Leary robbed a bank that day. That's why we got the job.

Ciao!
Wondrex is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 12:50
  #8766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: everywhere
Posts: 68
Pinuz,
You wont like this, but...
After reading your posts, I cannot help but feel you need to take a reality check.
It is hard when we don't get what we want in life, I too have been in a similar situation to you, where I could not get a foot in the door.
You feel your sim went well, some advice, if you want it from a 737 driver with lots of experience,
A passenger has a suspected Heart Attack, this is a simple case of Divert, there is no requirement of DODAR (Diagnosis, Options, Decision, Actions, Review, for those unfamiliar with it), it does not really require a NITS Briefing either (Nature of Problem, Intentions, Time Available and Special Instructions).
I would inform ATC, the Senior and of course a PA for the passengers, on landing ask for Paramedics to meet you on the taxiway when you exit the runway.
Taxiing at high speed is never a good idea.
It is also possible that giving your sim partner tips, came across as a bit arrogant, the way you talk about how well your sim went does feel a bit sky god.
Please take this in the manner it is intended, we all are learning all of the time, it seems that Ryanair was not a good fit for you at this time, maybe in the future.
Good luck with your other opportunities.
Antonio Montana is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 14:51
  #8767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Palmas
Posts: 43
The consensus is pretty clear so I'm not going to comment too much. The way you write feels as though you were entitled a job when it's obvious most here would not like to have you as a cabin mate. Don't be fooled into thinking someone in HR can't see that too. I haven't had a long career in aviation (8yrs) but I've been through a terrible terrible hiring freeze where you will be left scrambling for answers why your amazing job interview didn't go anywhere.
Pick up the pieces and move on, a good professional can pick out good advice from anywhere and luckily for us PPRuNe can give us free life check 😅
Hawker400 is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 15:14
  #8768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Antonio Montana View Post
Pinuz,
You wont like this, but...
After reading your posts, I cannot help but feel you need to take a reality check.
It is hard when we don't get what we want in life, I too have been in a similar situation to you, where I could not get a foot in the door.
You feel your sim went well, some advice, if you want it from a 737 driver with lots of experience,
A passenger has a suspected Heart Attack, this is a simple case of Divert, there is no requirement of DODAR (Diagnosis, Options, Decision, Actions, Review, for those unfamiliar with it), it does not really require a NITS Briefing either (Nature of Problem, Intentions, Time Available and Special Instructions).
I would inform ATC, the Senior and of course a PA for the passengers, on landing ask for Paramedics to meet you on the taxiway when you exit the runway.
Taxiing at high speed is never a good idea.
It is also possible that giving your sim partner tips, came across as a bit arrogant, the way you talk about how well your sim went does feel a bit sky god.
Please take this in the manner it is intended, we all are learning all of the time, it seems that Ryanair was not a good fit for you at this time, maybe in the future.
Good luck with your other opportunities.
Hello, I appreciate your comment, at least it was quite constructive, and not insulting like others, because everyone feels free to offend behind a keyboard.
People told me Patetich, fool, just because I shared my opinion.
I did not offend anyone, but apparently they did, maybe they are better than me inside a cockpit, I can notice just watching how they address to people.

Anyway the departing aerodrome was the nearest, so no need for a diversion to others.

And at least a briefing to your colleague is always a good idea, in order to make a decision agreed together.
Pinuz89 is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 16:04
  #8769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: World
Posts: 0
[QUOTE=Pinuz89;10435878]Hello, I appreciate your comment, at least it was quite constructive, and not insulting like others, because everyone feels free to offend behind a keyboard.
People told me Patetich, fool, just because I shared my opinion.

So your opinion is to accuse an airline of stealing your money because you didn't pass their assessment......
aviationfanatic is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 16:38
  #8770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: everywhere
Posts: 68
Originally Posted by Pinuz89 View Post
Anyway the departing aerodrome was the nearest, so no need for a diversion to others.

And at least a briefing to your colleague is always a good idea, in order to make a decision agreed together.
I think its best if I clarify for you, if you are going to an airport other than destination, it is a diversion. Yes you need to discuss this option with the other pilot, but it does not need a DODAR, just a simple process, for example ' We have just left Liverpool, it is Cavok, its close, we can hold etc'

If it helps, I would have dealt with it this way.
We have a passenger with a suspected heart attack, we are near our departure aerodrome, I suggest we divert there, (taking into account the weather), see if your partner agrees, if not why not.
Tell ATC and Hold at present position, or a nearby fix.
Give control to your Sim Partner.
Set up FMC, Nav Aids etc for expected approach, get fresh weather.
Brief
Inform the Cabin crew and passengers
Checklists
Approach and land.

If in doubt keep it simple, it does tend to work.


Antonio Montana is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2019, 20:11
  #8771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Poland
Posts: 0
Its still some time before I will be able to send my application. But I do still read the forum because I wish to know what to expect. And now since someone mentioned DODAR and NITS was not necessary I started to wonder. Because from most topics I read and what I heard from the ATPL course lecturer (FO in Ryan Air) at my school. Ryan Air is the airline where DODAR and NITS are like almost mandatory on the assessment and SOP is even more important than in other airlines + stabilized approach, from what I heard (I do not know if its true) many other airlines do not fire pilots for not being stabilized on the approach and not performing a go around then.

But maybe its not so important and thinking all the time during an assessment "can I do the DODAR + NITS is it now, now?, now?" or doing a go around at the slightest feeling of non stable approach (while it was stable) is not a good idea. But from what I heard its supposed to be almost like if you do not do DODAR + NITS when they do the interruption "emergency or sick passenger" then you fail. I hope to know much more about what is the proper approach to the assesments after doing a VA APS MCC (hopefully they know what the airlines really expect).

PS. I believe its very frustrating for people to just get the message "you failed" with not even a single sentence what to do better or what to work on. Just imagine if it was the same way on ATPL theory exams, I believe people would totally "freak out" if the exam just gave you the score and no info about what you did answer wrong. We would have 100 000s of conspiracy theories. Of course I do understand that most airlines do not have enough time to give any feedback to the candidates. If I failed an assessment I would for sure buy more time at the APS MCC provider to "redo" a similar sim exercise to understand what could be done better and then work on it. Then there is also a possibility of failing the HR part.... then its not so easy to discover what is wrong and possibly something wrong for one airline is something good for another one since HR is probably not like mathematics where the answer is correct or wrong (except from obvious HR failures but those are probably noticeable at the APS MCC training stage).
KT1988 is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 09:52
  #8772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: everywhere
Posts: 68
KT1988,
First of all, I have no idea what Ryanair are looking for in a new pilot.
As such I cannot comment on what you should or should not do in the Sim check.

However, just to throw a DODAR or NITS in without any thought, does not make any sense.

In the real world however...

If you have a Engine Failure, FMC Failure, IRS Failure, Decompression or some other Aircraft system fail then yes you should complete a DODAR, at the right time, when is the right time, well that's the big question. How I do it, say we have an engine seize, after the aircraft is in a safe state, Memory Items complete, QRH Engine Severe damage checklist completed and we in a holding position, then if time allows do a DODAR. Make a plan, get some information, decide on a plan of action.

Example,
Diagnosis: What happened, well we have Zero N1, Zero N2 still got EGT the aircraft pulled to the left, we have a fuel imbalance with more fuel in the left tank. I think we have had No1 engine Seize.
Options: Carry on, Divert, return to Departure Aerodrome.
Decision: Return to Departure ( in this example)
Actions: We need weather for the Departure Aerodrome, tell ATC the plan, set up the FMC/ Instruments/ Nav Aids, landing distance, autobrake setting, Fuel Balance, etc and Brief, talk to the company (if able), NITS, talk to passengers, One engine inoperative landing checklist.
Review: Is the decision correct? Is the Decision still valid, what do we still have to do.

As you can see this is not just a simple process,
Next is the NITS:

Nature: We have had an engine fail, it is under control
Intentions: We will return to Departure Airfield
Time: I expect we will make an approach at .......
Special Instructions: This will be a precautionary landing so no expectation to evacuate once we have stopped. We will be followed by the Fire Engines to stand, this is normal

The Senior should read this back to you.
Then make a PA to the Pax.

I can assure you the above example does work, I have had to use it more then once.

I suggest if you are offered a Interview at any airline with a Sim check, try to talk to others who have been offered jobs to see what they did and what they feel is expected of you.

As I said on a previous post, Keep It Simple, you will be fine.
Antonio Montana is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 12:17
  #8773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 6
KT1988, I'm told what Ryanair are really looking for is good ATPL results, good flight school report and a good down to earth, flexible attitude. I would not get too bogged down in technicalities, they really just use them as 'legal' reasons to fail candidates that they really don't want.

I think you need to read between the lines a little. I could nearly guarantee you that the fact Pinuz89 has been failed on the basis of a few technicalities is merely a formality. Antonio Montana has very eloquently demonstrated, on the basis of the information that Pinuz89's has provided, that Pinuz89's skills are of questionable ability and combine this with his attitude; it's a dangerous mix to say the least.

I have failed many times before, I know what its like and some times it can be very difficult to see why you failed. It's even harder when you cannot admit to yourself that maybe it's actually yourself that needs to change.
7779 is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2019, 02:06
  #8774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scotland
Age: 23
Posts: 4
So, anyone on assessment for the 25th? Message if you wanna meet day before in Dublin to study etc.
pilot_mairi is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2019, 09:31
  #8775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
Anyone on CAE 1905?
jelone is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2019, 09:32
  #8776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 3
Feel free to send me a PM if you are on CAE 1905

===========================

You canít use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history
jelone is offline  
Old 12th Apr 2019, 09:22
  #8777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Clouds
Posts: 4
Does anybody have any feedback for the latest interview questions of the online assessment?
Pal33 is offline  
Old 12th Apr 2019, 09:32
  #8778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Pal33 View Post
Does anybody have any feedback for the latest interview questions of the online assessment?
I had:

Why Ryr ?
Your strenght and your weaknesses
How would you deal with an emergency.

it was last month, some guys had to talk about the Fuel /electrical system of the previous aircraft.

Another question I heard, it was Which good qualities should a leadership have ?

Pinuz89 is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2019, 10:07
  #8779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: uk
Posts: 30
Hi Pinuz89,

Ryanair defintely dont need to make money from sim assessments. When you think of the cost of personnel for the day, all the paperwork that goes into it, the cost of buying and maintaining the sim at Dublin just for interviews, there isnt much profit in it and they would make far far more money selling 1 cup of coffee to every traveller on 1 day than they would on a year of interviews!

Having done the assessment your decision to do a dodar and nits for a medical emergency also sounds ok to me - its what i did in the same circumstance and i got the job. So maybe your PF duties were not the thing that let you down on the day. I agree with other comments that on the line its unlikley you would dodar in this circumstance but its what Ryanair want to see in the sim on the interview.

Your PM duties - where you have said you were giving him tips..... be careful here. Youre part of a team and its both your job to ensure safe execution of the job in hand but if those tips could be interpreted as you telling the guy how to fly that could let you down.

I would also look very closely at your answers to the HR part of the interview. All you say here is that you said what you wanted to say and that you may not have been assertive. I wouldnt say its assertiveness they are looking for here really, but they defintely want people who have really thought through how a job in an airline like Ryanair will affect their life. Does the thought of living and working abroad excite you and how would you cope with it, how does it fit in with your personal circumstances and current family life? Answers to question such as "where do you see yourself in 5 years" often get glossed over as not important when in reality, in an airline that really needs to improve its retention of experienced staff, the answers you give here can be just as important to the outcome as how well you flew the ILS. So while i am sure you probably said something like being a 737 Captain in Ryanair... what about where you would be living, being happy in life having fulfilled a dream to fly but looking for how you can continue and grow in the company in the training departments, what about seeking an opportunity to get the Learjet TR in the company etc etc.... Really think about how you flesh out these answers to sound like you have really thought about how you will build your life around the company to acheive a happy life, both professionally and personally.

Anyway, this interview didnt work out. If another one doesnt work out, next time maybe look closer to yourself than calling it a money making excersise. Ryanair still need pilots, and for what ever reason on that day 1 or more of the assessors didnt think you were the right fit for the company. So think about why that mightbe and try to adapt for the next interview.

Good luck to all the job hunters.
itchybumba is offline  
Old 13th Apr 2019, 12:56
  #8780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by itchybumba View Post
Hi Pinuz89,

Ryanair defintely dont need to make money from sim assessments. When you think of the cost of personnel for the day, all the paperwork that goes into it, the cost of buying and maintaining the sim at Dublin just for interviews, there isnt much profit in it and they would make far far more money selling 1 cup of coffee to every traveller on 1 day than they would on a year of interviews!

Having done the assessment your decision to do a dodar and nits for a medical emergency also sounds ok to me - its what i did in the same circumstance and i got the job. So maybe your PF duties were not the thing that let you down on the day. I agree with other comments that on the line its unlikley you would dodar in this circumstance but its what Ryanair want to see in the sim on the interview.

Your PM duties - where you have said you were giving him tips..... be careful here. Youre part of a team and its both your job to ensure safe execution of the job in hand but if those tips could be interpreted as you telling the guy how to fly that could let you down.

I would also look very closely at your answers to the HR part of the interview. All you say here is that you said what you wanted to say and that you may not have been assertive. I wouldnt say its assertiveness they are looking for here really, but they defintely want people who have really thought through how a job in an airline like Ryanair will affect their life. Does the thought of living and working abroad excite you and how would you cope with it, how does it fit in with your personal circumstances and current family life? Answers to question such as "where do you see yourself in 5 years" often get glossed over as not important when in reality, in an airline that really needs to improve its retention of experienced staff, the answers you give here can be just as important to the outcome as how well you flew the ILS. So while i am sure you probably said something like being a 737 Captain in Ryanair... what about where you would be living, being happy in life having fulfilled a dream to fly but looking for how you can continue and grow in the company in the training departments, what about seeking an opportunity to get the Learjet TR in the company etc etc.... Really think about how you flesh out these answers to sound like you have really thought about how you will build your life around the company to acheive a happy life, both professionally and personally.

Anyway, this interview didnt work out. If another one doesnt work out, next time maybe look closer to yourself than calling it a money making excersise. Ryanair still need pilots, and for what ever reason on that day 1 or more of the assessors didnt think you were the right fit for the company. So think about why that mightbe and try to adapt for the next interview.

Good luck to all the job hunters.
Hello,
I like your comment, and I agree on most of your tips.

Just few clarification, we were told in the pre-assessment briefing that it's important not to bug immediately the speed chased, but for example, put flap 1 then bug 190; flap 5 then bug 170, ecc.
When I was the PM, my partner asked to bug 170, with flaps in up position. So I said : "Are you sure you don't want 190 ?"
He replied immediately "yes that's correct".

For this reason they put 2 pilots in a cockpit, so it was not for being arrogant, but just to point out the mistake my colleague has done, and viceversa for me, for safety reasons.

For what concerning the sentence I wrote about the money they asked for the assessment, ok, I wrote something dangerous, I needed to let off some steam those days.
But I haven't changed my mind on that, because I'm going into another interview next month, and this company is paying my tickets if I'll catch their airplanes to get there.
And this is way different from Ryr.
And I've never had to pay for a job interview !

Anyway I'm still having some doubts regarding the selection method.
I'm not talking about myself, let say for instace I'm not a good fit for them, I accept that, but what about all the other guys, with multiple experiences, coming from important schools ?
All the people I met, in Simtech during the MCC course, all my flight school mates, and other guys I know, nobody passed (in different periods), and one of them is now working for a flag carrier !
To be fair just few guys got the job, but at least 2 years ago.

It sounds suspicious
Pinuz89 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.