Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Co-pilot saves the day!!!

Wikiposts
Search
Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Search this Thread

Old 26th Apr 2003, 16:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From The Sun, April 24th:-

No panic but your pilot has fallen ill

Brit tourists on a holiday jet gripped their seats at 30,0000ft as they were told "Your pilot has been taken ill".
The 219 passengers flying to Tenerife in the Canary Islands then heard the sick captain had COLLAPSED.
The scare happened on the Air 2000 flight from Manchester less than an hour before touchdown.
The plane's co-pilot had to take control of Flight AMM138 and bring it down to land at Reina Sofia Airport in southern Tenerife.
The skipper was seen by a doctor at the airport then rushed to hospital, accompanied by his worried co-pilot.
But holidaymakers waiting to board the plane to fly home to Manchester on Tuesday afternoon were delayed another eight hours while another cockpit crew was found.
A spokeswoman for Air 2000 said last night that the pilot had been kept in hospital overnight for observation.
But she added: "He is now feeling much better. His co-pilot stayed with him at the hospital but is now on his way home. We will know more about what happened when he arrives back in the UK."
The spokeswoman confirmed that the co-pilot had stepped in to land the plane. But she insisted: "That is why there is a co-pilot on planes, for incidents like these. At no point were any of the plane's passengers in danger."
Old 26th Apr 2003, 17:06

Blimey, hope the Bun doesnt find out that I (a mere co-pilot) landed an aircraft on no fewer than 8 occasions in the last week. Several of those flights were packed with could-be horrified holiday makers. Im going into hiding......
Old 26th Apr 2003, 18:40

EXCLUSIVE - AIRLINES RISK LIVES EVERY DAY

EXCLUSIVE - AIRLINES RISK LIVES EVERY DAY

We can exclusively reveal, after an undercover investigation, that airlines operating into UK airports put thousands of travellers at risk EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Hidden footage has revealed that airline Captains allow junior members of staff to carry out critical manoeuvres such as landing aircraft, whilst the Captains just sit there without touching the aircraft controls.

Mrs Smith, a horrified passenger, has echoed the view of most of our readers. "How can such a scandal have continued un-noticed for so long. I'm taking my holidays in Blackpool."
Old 26th Apr 2003, 18:49

Don't spoil it! I like the thought the co-pilot is only there for lill' ol' me fer when I pass out through over indulgence and too much partying with the stewies who've taken me out to dinner after competing fer my attention the night before. It's as aviation was meant to be.
PS best wishes to the unwell Skipper who no doubt had something disagree with him on top of the real-world overful, over-worked roster!
Old 26th Apr 2003, 19:01

It was my birthday last week so as a special treat the Captain allowed me to do the takeoff AND the landing .......... I had to polish his shoes for this and carry his suitcases but it was worth it.

Maybe one day I will know what all those switches and dials mean, but I like the pretty views from the windows in the flightdeck and I get free coffee.

I hear Copilots at Suntrash airlines even get a uniform with a hat to wear, and get to push some buttons in flight.
Old 26th Apr 2003, 19:16
Registered User **

such are the consequences of this new fangled crm malarky.
gone forever are the days of white gloves on the boy so you can see where his hands are at night. what next, women in the cockpit that arent refreshing me.harumph,harumph.
Old 26th Apr 2003, 20:58

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Angel

Errrr are you telling me, a mere passenger, that they actually allow the apprentice to land the aircraft and that sometimes they even let them do the take off too? I wonder what the press could have made of the announcement by the CSD of one flight I was on when he proclaimed "The captain has asked me to tell you that that was a fully automatic landing" I can just see it now JUMBO LEFT TO LAND ITSELF WHILST PILOTS SLEEP AFTER LONGHAUL FLIGHT FROM OZ! (it was a QF 747 by the way and I had had a very enjoyable flight)
Let us not forget, however, that some of these wonderful headlines provide a good laugh and light entertaiment on here from time to time.
Old 26th Apr 2003, 23:41

Thank god that the need for a co-pilot has been vindicated. With all this low cost malarky going on the bean counters have been wondering exactly what it is the co-pilot does.....

You can imagine the scenario "studies have shown that rates of pilot incapicitation amongs single pilot crews are lower than multi pilot aircraft and therefore we will scrap co-pilots, giving a a 50% reduction in flight deck labour costs, which when transferred to seat prices results in a saving of 8.2%". Noods of approval from board etc etc
Old 26th Apr 2003, 23:47

And exactly why would it have been necessary to tell the punters at 30000ft ? Unless it was a diversion, but even then I think I would have used the 'technical reasons' porkie .
Old 27th Apr 2003, 00:17

Okay pilots

Someone explain to a dumb white boy why its so amazing that the co-pilot lands the plane. Isn't every co-pilot a pilot waiting for a promotion to the LH seat (is that the correct one)
Old 27th Apr 2003, 00:26

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
T_Richard,

It would have been better to have stopped at '...every co-pilot a pilot'. They all are, and thoroughly professional and fully and well trained, just like every crew member!!!
Old 27th Apr 2003, 00:55

Kriskross

I guess I misstated the question. Does one set out in the profesion to become a co pilot, a pilot or are the the same thing in terms of pay, senority, skills, training?
Old 27th Apr 2003, 01:30

In a previous life I was a DC-3 (Dakota to most of you, I guess) co-pilot, when my skills were considered more-or-less adequate for holding it steady in cruise while the Captain refreshed himself with coffee and fags preparatory to executing yet another cross-wind landing. Oh, and I was allowed to empty the 2 1/2-gallon pail that was an essential part of the sanitary arrangements upon arrival back at base. Mehr nichts! Of course in those days we had never yet heard of CRM.
Old 27th Apr 2003, 01:47

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally agree with all the above comments concerning fatuous newspaper headlines!

However. let's take the opportunity to pat the copilot on the back for a job WELL DONE!

Having also had the experience of my fellow pilot pass out on me during the cruise I can tell you that it is NOT a pleasant experience! We rely on our colleages for moral support (believe it or not!) and although we practice pilot incapacitation in the Sim it FEELS very different in real life. You are (naturally) concerned for the welfare of your fellow crew member but also have the safety of the pax to consider etc and the perceived increase in workload is HUGE!!

Once again well done to the FO for getting the aicraft on the ground without incident.
Old 27th Apr 2003, 02:02

Paper Tiger

I see your point. However it is possible that the cabin crew had to go through pilot incapacitation drills. This could have led to a situation where it was obvious to some pax, especially at the front, that some sort of commotion was going on.

Surely then better to put them in the picture rather than let rumour spread wildy through the ranks.

just a thought.

YS
Old 27th Apr 2003, 02:42

I'm intrigued by this whole story. As a PPL and wannabee big jet pilot, I fly the left seat (obviously) and as I understand it, there is considerable training to convert between left and right seats in the commercial world of aviation. Presumably the co-pilot would have had to fly the left seat for the remainder of this flight, in particular the landing primarily for nose wheel steering. What kind of training do first officers have for events such as this when technically they are only qualified to be in control from the right hand seat?

Safe flying

PJ
Old 27th Apr 2003, 03:01

PJ...

<<considerable training to convert between left and right seats in the commercial world of aviation>>
No actually...

At Big Airways, if you are changing seats same type (R -> L we hope) its 4-6 sims, and maybe 15 sectors (in shorthaul). By far and away the majority of that is "command training", not getting used to the other seat itself...

<<Presumably the co-pilot would have had to fly the left seat for the remainder of this flight>>
No! He would have remained in the RHS.

At BA, all aircraft have NW tillers both sides. For those airlines where not, then tough - he'd have to land it and block the runway... NWS not used on the landing roll - not until you want to taxi off.

<<What kind of training do first officers have for events such as this when technically they are only qualified to be in control from the right hand seat?>>
Both pilots regularly practice "incapacitation drills". Firstly to remember to try and notice when he's "gone"! Surprising how long it takes in the sim, say doing an auto approach to notice he's not said anything for a bit, and then look across to see him slumped over (and grinning!). Secondly, to practice taking everything slowly and thoroughly, and get on the ground, with all the SOPs scr*wed up, since you're by yourself...

ATB
NoD
Old 27th Apr 2003, 04:42

I always shared legs 50-50 with my FO's. Never any regrets.

TWA policy was for the Capt. to do the TO's.

Back in the 1950's, policy was to let the FO take the left seat, SCD.
Old 27th Apr 2003, 07:47

fish

Dont you hate it when your talking to someone and they realise your not a Captain and they ask if you will be able to fly the plane one day...!!!!!

Or when your on the ground and a passenger says to you "Can I talk to the pilot..." mmm so what am I then!!!
Old 27th Apr 2003, 08:14

NOD,

At BA, all aircraft have NW tillers both sides.
Not quite so. The B737 fleet combine both 1 and 2 tiller variants.

CPB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.