Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > ATC Issues
Reload this Page >

ATC application tests

Wikiposts
Search
ATC Issues A place where pilots may enter the 'lions den' that is Air Traffic Control in complete safety and find out the answers to all those obscure topics which you always wanted to know the answer to but were afraid to ask.

ATC application tests

Search this Thread

Old 16th Jan 2003, 12:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC application tests

Can't find anything much on the search facility, so hopefully someone can give me some advice on where I can get hold of practice tests for the cubes and diagramming tests?

Any good books or websites that offer similar tests to the ones used by NATS?

Thanks people
Old 16th Jan 2003, 14:18

Great Scot

Try this:-

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/radar2001...rces/ATCO1.htm

Then click on "recruitment". A very useful website all round.

FB
Old 17th Jan 2003, 10:52

Dear Scottie
I could never get my head round those cube diagrams etc. I just guessed the answers for my test and here I am a valid controller at LACC.
I wouldn't concern yourself too much, the other parts of the test are straight forward, but you must be able to work accurately and quickly, as there are tight time limits for each part of the test.

Happy testing

Regards

Night Shift
Old 19th Jan 2003, 18:35

I attended the tests last tuesday at the kemble street, london building (why there when I live closer to manchester I'll never know). I wish I had access to the link posted above or even known about pprune before the gatwick controller guy there on the day told us.

The whole day is a bit intense with a lot of questions but as stated above the time scale is the real killer as the questions aren't overly difficult.

I didn't find the boxes difficult at all but they were a lot simpler than the ones in the link above as at most there were 2 similar sides per shape (very similar to the test paper they send out) . There are also plenty of questions on each shape so once you have figured out how 2 edges fit together it can answer 4 or 5 questions.

It was the basic error checking ones that got me, not difficult until you have to do 40 in 5 minutes, starting with 3 digit numbers and reaching 6-8 figures by Q40.

The diagramming got me as well but only due to time constraints although there was one that there didn't appear to be the answer I was looking for available! I changed my interpretation and then found out I was right initially so that cost me some time (shouldn't have worried about the odd one and got on with it).

I hear that you need 70% a test to pass, can anyone confirm this?

Phil
Old 19th Jan 2003, 21:27

PhilLUFC

At my second stage they simplified the score into out of ten, and i know i got :-

Cubes 10/10
Symbols 10/10
Sorting 8/10
mental arthmetic 4/10

Make out of that what you will
Old 19th Jan 2003, 22:02

PhilLUFC

At my second stage they simplified the score into out of ten, and i know i got :-

Cubes 10/10
Symbols 10/10
Sorting 8/10
mental arthmetic 4/10

Make out of that what you will
I assume my info was wrong then because you obviously passed or you wouldn't have been at the 2nd stage. Coule be 70% overall as (if all are equally weighted) you got 80%.

Did they tell you at your interview or did you get a breakdown with the selection test results??

It's a weight off my mind as I only answered 75% of the error checking in the time and didn't finish the diagramming either.

Phil
Old 19th Jan 2003, 22:15

70%

Nearly everything you'll encounter with a NATS employment has a 70% pass rate on it, so wouldn't be suprised if recruitment was the same.

Other places to try and find the tests is in a LARGE bookstall, look in the Maths/Logic depts and occasionally they are there (along with the IQ bits too, all helps). Even similar liked ones can get your brain working in the right frame of mind.
Old 19th Jan 2003, 23:07

5milesbaby

Ye your right all other test seem to be 70%, but isn’t this an SRG requirement

PhilLUFC

I was told by the guy that did the personnel test, supposedly I only got two wrong in total on the symbols one
I did try to find out my results from the second stage, but was told this info wasn’t given to successful candidates, only people who had failed.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 13:02

Fly bhoy, Night Shift, thanks a lot for the tips.

Alpha16- won't be at the tests in Glasgow this time, just sent off the application. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself!

Cheers
Old 30th Jan 2003, 17:14

I'm at the same stage.....

I submitted my application by e-mail and received an e-mail back confirming receipt of my application about 2 weeks ago.

Does anybody know how long it takes from submitting your application to being sent a letter with test dates etc?

Good Luck to all NATS Applicants!!!!

pipersg
Old 19th May 2006, 12:36

2nd stage of selection process

i have the second stage of the inteview stage coming up and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or information on what the interviewers are looking for.

cheers
Old 19th May 2006, 14:13
Kirk Biddlecombe

Same position as you...

Hi Gary,

Check out the NATS Careers site, you'll find out more.
I think they're looking primarily for motivation, followed by the ability to think and reason logically aswell as being decisive.

Kirk