Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

I am sure you are all aware...

Search this Thread

Old 5th Jan 2003, 10:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure you are all aware...

Ladies and Gents,
I am sure you are all aware and it has probably been mentioned elsewhere but...
British Airways are now inviting applications internally for positions as first officers at LHR/LGW.
Qualifications are fz-ATPL or JAR ATPL minimum.
This, if I recall, normally precludes [I take it you mean precedes? Scroggs] an open selection process for TEP or DEP - definately NOT cadets any more - they are TEPs not cadets...
yours aye
Whoa Leslie!

Last edited by scroggs; 7th Jan 2003 at 11:23.
Old 5th Jan 2003, 16:21

Leslie,
Can i ask where have you seen or heard about the advert regarding internal applications.
As far as i am aware, BA at present are only interested in cadet applications not direct entry F/O's, as i was told by the Director of flight opperations at BA.
Thanks.
Old 5th Jan 2003, 16:48

Sir Donald,
Do not know whether you work for British Airways but it is all on the internal Intranet. We have always offered the jobs internally before going public and indeed I believe it is a legal requirement. In the good old days even cadet positions could be applied for by company employees.
I suspect (total conjecture though) that BA will require DEPs in the nearish future and although would like TEPs, it does take a while to wind that process up again.
Frankly if anyone does want to fly for BA, best advice may be to join some two-bit franchaise operation, wait for it to be taken over by BA and then take a whopping great pay rise whilst moaning how good it was to fly from a portacabin in a car park! Another topic entirely...
Your humble servant,
Leslie
Old 7th Jan 2003, 09:11
AMEX

Minimum Criteria

· Must have been employed on a British Airways mainline or BAR contract for not less than 2 years
· Must hold 5 GCSE's at grade 'C' or above, including English, Maths and a science based subject or the equivalent educational
qualifications
· Will hold a passport allowing unrestricted world-wide travel and the unrestricted right to live and work in the EU without time
restriction
· Height must be between 1.57m and 1.91m (5'2'' to 6'3'') although those taller may apply subject to an further assessment
· Age limit of 49 years
· Hold a valid JAR ops ATPL or frozen ATPL with instrument rating
· Able to hold a current class 1 medical and meet current BA medical requirements (currently more stringent than the CAA's)
· You will be expected to have recent relevant flying experience in the last 3 years

Old 7th Jan 2003, 17:37

Call me cynical if you want but isn't this a bit premature until we see what develops (if anything) in the Middle East over the months ahead?
Old 7th Jan 2003, 19:02
AMEX

Premature or not BA isn't the only one engaging the recruitment mode or at least the interview gear...
Got a call today from another airline beginning by a B (Not BA,Brit or BACE).
I know we had this conversation with Raw Data before but I also know of people getting interviews with Flybe (fact rather than fiction). The key is to be ready when it starts and my guess is that it has already started and this time I have managed not to miss the boat, a first !!

Old 8th Jan 2003, 08:42
I say there boy

Are those requirements just for BA employees, or is it likely that similar requriements will be opened to external candidates? Because if they do, and hire in any numbers at the fATPL level, it'll blow the recruitment market wide open.

It's good to see that things are moving, at last.

Cheers!
foggy.
Old 8th Jan 2003, 09:57

Received 208 Likes on 75 Posts
The IPA seem to think that BA will want around 50 pilots direct entry for the 747 fleet due to more staying in service than planned plus more people bidding for the 777 fleet. I imagine type ratings and plenty of hours on type will be required.

Old 8th Jan 2003, 14:05
AMEX

Yeah that s for BA employees. Traditionnally requirements for DEPs something like 1500 hours TT (that s the easy bit) then 500 hours over 25T, or type rating(with hours on type), plus proved track record etc....
Sorry Foggy but the door isn't quite wide open yet but someone is pushing though.
Good luck !

50 ain't much but with 15-20 a month joining EZ, 25 joining Brit, 12 entering BMI Reg's pool, 4 just (or about to be) taken on by Flybe, Air2ks sending appl forms etc... We have seen worse

Old 8th Jan 2003, 14:30
I say there boy

Thanks AMEX! Oh well, I thought BA might be turning over a new leaf with their hiring policy there - never mind.

Still, activity at the top trickles down...

Last edited by foghorn; 8th Jan 2003 at 14:42.
Old 8th Jan 2003, 15:07
AMEX

Certainly does.... Two guys I know attending EZ's selection day in the coming month and none with Jet time.
They have a fair number of hours on turbo prop (not GA) so perhaps the scope is widening.
All good stuff