Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

FAA Certifcates issued on basis of ICAO licence - STOPPED

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Search this Thread

Old 18th Jul 2002, 22:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.faa.gov/fsdo/orl/forpilot.htm

...says there is a complete, yet temporary(?), ban on the FAA offices (FSDOs) issuing FAA Private Pilot Licences on the basis of Foreign Pilot Certificates.

All the DPE's (Flight Examiners) in the area - that were tasked with doing this job, post 9/11 - have been contacted and told to stop doing conversions WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT.

No news, just yet, as to whether an ICAO licensed pilot may take the FAA check ride for a full, stand alone, licence (without doing a course of training).

This ban, apparantly, applies to all FSDOs nationwide.
Old 19th Jul 2002, 10:06

Assuming one already holds an FAA PPL IOB of ICAO licence, then I assume we can still fly or has good old George W put a stop on this too?

[edited because I just read the FAA document]

Cheers
EA

Last edited by englishal; 19th Jul 2002 at 10:10.
Old 19th Jul 2002, 10:33

I think they're trying to work out how to security check people who are not actually receiving training, but who simply want to turn up, do a BFR / Flight Check and rent a plane.

My guess is that they will come up with a way, since the GA industry is not going to be happy with more measures which will reduce their income.

What it will probably prevent, or at least make more difficult, is what I used to do which was turn up on spec and simply rent a plane for a day between business meetings..
Old 19th Jul 2002, 11:52

AOPA are talking about all FAA certificate holders to carry US Government issued ID. This will no doubt include a background check, finger printing and photographing. Mind you, I'm not opposed to this as long as its done properly, and with the minimum of fuss. Better to be vetted and then avoid more 'knee jerk' reactions like we've seen in previous months.

Shame really, the Land of the Free is becoming less free by the day.

Cheers
EA
Old 19th Jul 2002, 12:08

The US Government issued ID, of which AOPA speak is........your driving licence.

Feb. 21 — AOPA today petitioned FAA to change the rules to allow for a simple, inexpensive pilot photo ID that could be put into place almost immediately. AOPA said that FAA should simply require that pilots carry a valid, government-issued photo ID along with their pilot certificates when in command of an aircraft. That photo ID could be a driver's license, passport, state ID card, or government agency photo ID card.
Not much needed in the way of background checks and fingerprinting for that.
Old 19th Jul 2002, 12:59

Hmm.. Don't you get finger-printed when you get a US driving license? I have a feeling that you do.

pt
Old 19th Jul 2002, 13:41

Is that a US issued driving licence though?

I have seen a UK photo ID driving licence be rejected and only a passport accepted. The reason - they didn't normally get presented UK driving licences and therefore could not tell if they were forged!

Looks like you will be carrying your passport everywhere you go.
Old 19th Jul 2002, 14:21

I didn't get fingerprinted when I got a US drivers licence
Old 19th Jul 2002, 18:41

Catch 22 for foreigners

If you do not have a US State ID / Driving licence, which many people do not (I for one, as I'm a UK citizen), then you need to.....

To apply for an ID card you will need to do the following:

Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies obtained by xeroxing, faxing or other methods will not be accepted.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Provide your social security number (What if you haven't got one)
Verify your birth date and legal presence (Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94))
Pay the $6 regular or $3 senior citizen application fee

And now AOPAs new proposals......

KEY CONGRESSMAN ENDORSES AOPA PILOT ID PROPOSAL
A highly influential congressman who controls the FAA's purse strings has urged the agency to implement AOPA's petition to require pilots to carry a government-issued photo ID along with their pilot certificates. House transportation appropriations subcommittee Chairman Harold Rogers (R-Ky.) called the petition "an inexpensive and simple security enhancement that can be implemented immediately" in a July 15 letter. Rogers joins Sens. Max Cleland (D-Ga.) and Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) in endorsing the AOPA proposal. The FAA responded to Smith in June that the agency was drafting a rule to implement the security measure described in the AOPA petition. AOPA will continue to work with Congress and the Bush administration to ensure the pilot ID proposal doesn't get bogged down in executive review.

but they're also talking about:-

AOPA PILOT IDENTIFICATION PROPOSAL ADVANCING, TSA SAYS
The FAA anticipates issuing a formal notice to solicit public comments on AOPA's proposal that pilots be required to carry a valid government photo ID, in addition to their pilot and medical certificates, according to the Transportation Security Administration's just-released Report to Congress on Enhanced Security Measures. TSA has been charged with overseeing all security issues pertaining to transportation, including working with the FAA to incorporate photographs on pilot certificates. "While I'm pleased that the administration is moving forward on our petition, bureaucratic delays shouldn't delay a commonsense approach that can be implemented almost immediately," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. TSA's report to Congress fulfills a legislative requirement set forth by the Aviation and Transportation Security Act that was signed into law by President Bush on November 19, 2001.

Cheers
EA
Old 19th Jul 2002, 18:46

By the way, you do get finger printed when you get a driving licence, at least you do in California...

Cheers
EA
Old 19th Jul 2002, 23:41

No fingerprints for my Florida drivers licence - also heard today that....

Visitors without a visa are no longer eligible for a driving licence. Visitors with a visa may obtain a licence which is valid only until the expiry date of the visa.

Second - bit more scary - (as Desipilot has already posted on my "Wannabes" thread)...

The licence conversion has already stopped. Anyone wishing to fly in Federal Airspace (in an N reg aircraft) must now pass a full, stand alone, PPL check ride with an examiner.

This will also require a minimum of three hours of flight instruction within 90 days (90?? - double check - Englishal, correct me) with an FAA flight instructor, an FAA PPL written examination and the test.

There are no guide lines (yet) as to any other requirements - I can see that certain examiners will accept just the above, others will want to see the full training course signed by an FAA CFI.

If you already have an FAA license issued on the basis of a foreign licence - you CANNOT add any additional ratings to it. (This will take a chunk out of the pleasure of now being able to do an FAA I/R and count it towards the JAA one).
Old 20th Jul 2002, 03:02

The FAA reg is 3 hours of flight training in the 60 days preceding flight test.

We can count at least 1.5 that would normally have been a checkout/flight review so that leaves the remaining 1.5 and the 1 hour flight test.

From my experience, a pilot who has never flown in the US tends to feel happier with a couple more hours under their belt and possibly a small x-country to show them the ways of the world.

Written test can be completed in the UK prior to arrival in the US.

Another thought that the FAA has not thought of is a student pillot certificate. An easier way to fly is to get one of these, couple of hours dual ie the equivalent of a Flight review, except this is for the solo review for the Instructor to endorse for solo. Then the pilot can fly on his/her own, acruing hours P1 as long as the Instructor endorses the P1. There does not appear to be any restrictions on this???

Left the stable door open again
Old 20th Jul 2002, 08:52

So, let me get this straight....an FAA PPL issued on basis of ICAO PPL is no longer valid ? and a full test needs to be passed (either CPL or PPL)...?

Right so what happens if, say in my circumstance, I have an FAA PPL IOB of ICAO PPL, but have also got the FAA IR and FAA ME? Does this mean that the 'PPL' bit is no longer valid, but the IR and ME ratings are as they have been marked 'US Test passed'?....

Oh well, I've been looking for an excuse to take my CPL, and I guess here is my chance.

Quote last night from my wife, who is American but living with me in England......"That country [US] scares me..."

Cheers
EA
Old 20th Jul 2002, 09:27

The US is beginning to look a sad place for light aviation these days,they were already way out of line with ICAO by insisting on issuing(albeit very painlessly)their own certificate on the basis of another ICAO licence.You should be able to fly anywhere in the world (day/VFR) on any valid ICAO licence.If this nonsense does not stop soon I think our authorities should withdraw the privelege of US licence holders to fly UK registered aircraft.This would also give our GA industry a much needed boost. Sadly the US is becoming very isolationist,it will be a long time before any of my earned cash migrates to the US in the form of aircraft rental as it has done in the past.I,ve left the EAA after many years of membership increasingly seeing the US as an introspective irrelevance to the rest of the world.
Old 20th Jul 2002, 09:38

To be fair to the US, flying there is an absolute pleasure... at least it was. ATC are very professional, I have never once been told that they were too busy to deal with a VFR request, aircraft rental is good value for money, and it was a genuinely enjoyable experience.

Its sad to see all these knee jerk reactions which will no doubt lead to loss of trade from overseas, loss of jobs for US citizens, possibly loss of recognition of US certificates in overseas aircraft, and a general clamp down on US GA.....all because of a bunch of f*cking jerks, who had some de-ranged belief. Even sadder still is the fact that German intelligence agencies issued a warning to the US prior to these individuals entering the US, and then the US authorities, in their mickey mouse way, managed to royally f*ck up and lose these people....

Sorry, BRL, getting carried away, if you feel that this post should be moderated, then thats ok by me. I just feel strongly that the US should not penalise innocent people for the actions of a stupid few and the incompetence of their own government.

Cheers
EA
Old 20th Jul 2002, 12:32

Pilots in other countries must realise that the USA has a very large and active general aviation scene (many times larger than most other countries, combined) and so can restrict whom they like, for any reason whatsoever. Europeans especially (UK in particular) have thrown darts at the FAA license for many years, believing that it is not nearly as "scholastic" as those in Europe. Yet they now cry crocodile tears because they must now take a practical flight test for the FAA certificate.
For these folks, I can only say that the USA has led the world in things aeronautical for many years, and this is not like to change anytime soon...so get used to it.
OTOH, once you have that FAA license, you can fly where you like (except few restricted areas), when you like, at a price that others from afar can only dream about.
So, come and enjoy, and the weather out Arizona way has 330 days of sunshine each and every year.
Old 20th Jul 2002, 12:49
Just call me Rotty

Amen to that, 411A, especially the part about the flying costs. 100LL is INCREDIBLY expensive here, as are annuals and just about everything else to keep the pig in the air...

Anyone know what happens to an American pilot who gets his ticket overseas? We're moving back to the USA this fall and I'm not sure what's up.
Old 20th Jul 2002, 17:00
Just another number

Thumbs up

I agree with 411A. No competent pilot should ever fear a flight test, and any pilot who says that he would not benefit from a couple of hours with an instructor is either gods gift to aviation, or is a fool. The extra costs of the training and test can be recovered in a very short time when you consider the difference in hourly rates between the US and Europe.
I also agree with 411A about Arizona. I have spent many happy hours flying out of Falcon Field. Clear blue skies, spectacular scenery, helpful ATC and Met Briefers, no landing fees, and above all cheap aircraft hire.
Let's not make too much of this. Just go and take the test and then enjoy the cheap flying.

Airclues
Old 20th Jul 2002, 17:50

You know the FAA are just giving it back to us.......

I mean, all we had to do was show our valid licence and get an FAA, however to convert to a CAA/JAA no such thing.

Of course, it was easier with the CAA but there were the 2 writtens to take. Now of course the JAA mandate the skill test too.

I always thought that the FAA would start to see this as not respecting their licence and that they would act. Well, now they have; it just needed something to move them along.
Old 20th Jul 2002, 18:11

Wink

Facts whats your problem if you have a valid FAA licence the CAA recognise that (as per ICAO policy) outright you can fly a G reg. aircraft DAY/VFR on that US ticket.Its the US that is out of step with ICAO policy, the FAA certificate issued on the basis of an ICAO licence is what most other countries would call a validation.If I want to convert my UK licence to an FAA one to stand alone I,ve got to do the flight test and the writtens so whats the difference.My present FAA licence is only valid if my Uk one is fully valid.Best decide which licencing system you want to be in then get it and remain within that system.I,ve never liked gate-crashing other peoples parties.!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.