Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

Scrolling in forums

Search this Thread

Old 23rd May 2002, 18:59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrolling in forums

I'm new to the forums, but when I browse them I have to scroll over to the right a lot which is irritating and tiring!

Is there any way I can set an option so that the text of the forums appears in the width of a screen and I only have to scroll down??

Old 24th May 2002, 07:41

Sounds like a screen res problem to me. what screen resoloution are you using? I think (but not sure) PPrune is desgined for a minimum of 800x600 - if your using at something less then you will alwayts have to scroll left to right as well as up and down. Change to 800X600 (if you can and don't black out the screen - press F8 while rebooting to bring your machine up in safe mode if the screen goes black and have to reboot) and the problem should go away. If not, let me know and I'll scratch my already balding head again.

Cheers.
Old 24th May 2002, 10:07

Thanks for the reply. My screen res is set to 1024 x 768 so I would have thought that would be OK.

This is the only website I've had the problem with, most others seem to be fine.

Presumably yours displays correctly?
Old 24th May 2002, 10:24

Hi vancouv,

Are you using Netscape? Unfortunately, since the revamp of Pprune's bulletin board software, it doesn't work in Netscape - you should have no problems if you use Internet Explorer... (assuming you're on a PC running Windoze, of course... if you're not, I guess Pprune doesn't want you any more!)

I was a fairly pi$$ed off about this myself, being a Netscape fan, but have been forced into using IE for Pprune, although I still use Netscape for every other site.

Interestingly, the HTML produced by the new BB software includes the 'nowrap' attribute in the <td> tags - IE seems to ignore this while Netscape faithfully honours it, thus knackering the display and making it about a million pixels wide!

<fume>

cbl.
Old 24th May 2002, 10:47

ps...

I've just done a quick test as follows:

Viewed a thread in IE;
Right clicked, 'View source', saved as 'test.html' somewhere;
Opened 'test.html' in Netscape - familiar 'wide screen' problem appears as expected ;
Opened 'test.html' in WordPad, removed all occurrences of 'nowrap', saved back to disk;
Reopened in Netscape - thread appears with text wrapped correctly ;
Reopened in IE, thread also appears correctly (ie no change).

So, if we can just ask Captain PPRuNe to fiddle with the BBS software and remove the 'nowrap' attributes, Netscape users will once again be able to view PPRuNe! Hurrah!

Pretty please?

cbl.
Old 25th May 2002, 00:13

Great solution but we have to write a bulletproof script to do that to 30 gigs of data - extremely risky when we can ask people to simply upgrade completely free software.

The problem is with Netscape 4.7 series software and our quintet of current browsers used every day here at the Towers all work perfectly.

Rob
Old 27th May 2002, 08:20

Thanks for all the replies. I already have IE 6 and Netscape 6.2, and sure enough the forums work perfectly in both.

Backwards compatability of software - I love it.

Thanks again
Old 27th May 2002, 09:55

Hmmm... Fairy Nuff, I suppose...

Now, can someone draft an email that I can send to my company's IT department explaining why I need to upgrade Netscape on my work PC??

On a more serious note, can any HTML experts out there explain why the fact that Netscape 4.7 correctly honoured the 'nowrap' attribute was considered an error that has been 'fixed' in later versions?? I suspect it's got something to do with the tables-within-tables nature of most web pages these days, but my HTML skills aren't up to it...

And thirdly - PPRuNe Towers - surely you don't mean that the HTML code for every thread on every forum is stored separately in amongst the '30 gigs of data'?? I would have been prepared to bet that it was generated on the fly each time someone views the thread... (I confess, I've been poking around on www.vbulletin.com ...)

If only all browsers worked the same way, and Monopoly money was real, the world would be a better place...

cbl.
Old 27th May 2002, 10:42
dv8

vancouv
If you click on anyone's profile then Search for all posts by this user lastly click on any post. The forum then appears without left hand margin Home Forums 10 sec survey etc. i.e. a full screen.
But the must be a better way of doing this?
Old 27th May 2002, 10:54

Or alternatively, right-click on 'forums' and select open in new window, and bookmark this address - same result you lose the left menu - meaning you see more !
Old 27th May 2002, 11:54

Just bookmark:

www.pprune.org/forums

and you won't see the margin anywhere you go from there.

CBLong - if you roll back the date and view a thread from the old system you see a whole series of tags in view and spoiling your unhindered reading.

Thus there are a whole series of errors to be corrected in addition to the nowrap issue. It's far better and safer to wait for all this to be sorted in an incremental upgrade to the software. In the meantime Netscape 4.7 users can upgrade or change to using one of the very pleasant lightweight/highspeed browsers we favour here at the Towers.

Regarding the coding of 4.7: There is absolutely no doubt that the Mozilla/Netscape guys were following the published and approved HTML guidelines at the time. You might argue that in following revisions they were forced to follow the coding practice of the dominant Redmond behemoth - I couldn't possibly comment

Rob