Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Unknown PNG Airstrips? Part the Third

Wikiposts
Search
Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific An independent family of forums covering all aspects of the Australian/NZ aviation scene.

Search this Thread

Old 14th May 2002, 09:44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please feel free to re post a collective list of URLS to the various sites to keep it all neat and save having to go back to the old ones.

Cheers
Woomera
Old 14th May 2002, 10:34
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
Ozexpat,
I've had all the photos put onto a disc as per your instructions and will send them five at a time as soon as a slight problem is fixed.
And re the PNG WAC'S, well I heard a slightly different story. The part about the first set of plates being broken or misplaced was the same but I heard that the second set was recieved intact. However it was decided that they were a bit 'out of date' and that a new edition was being prepared and would be issued in due course. As soon as I heard that one I went and bought a complete set of ONC'S and TPC'C, figuring it was'nt worth the wait. Funny 'bout that!
And thanks to Woomera for allowing this saga to continue. Sir. your blood is worth bottling!
Old 14th May 2002, 14:17

PPRuNeaholic

Unhappy

Musta been all them posts about sex that forced the issue... how I hate them "rules"! However, lest it seem like I'm being a spoil sport about it, thank you noble Woomera for creating a "Part the T(h)urd"! Give me a mo to find the various URLs all over again...

Pinky ... well done mate, I'll look forward to them!
Old 14th May 2002, 14:30

PPRuNeaholic

Smile

Okay, here we go... I won't re-post ALLLL the URLs that we've referred to in the past, but this lot should still be pretty current and relevant ... at least while we're all waiting for the photos that Pinky is going to send!

Airstrips in PNG (General)

Album bilong Lurch

Alistair's PNG Album

If anyone wants URLs for any of the others, just lemme know!

It's probably worth repeating, here, what Capt Veg said at the end of "Part the Twooth"...

==============================
Ozmate

Comment about Agali well i dont know that strip but I do know that area

Agali is approx located where the Western, Sandaun and Southern highlands all join. It may be just inside the southern highland prov. It is on the south side of the Strickland River approx 7 NM south of Tekin and Oksapmin. If the photo is Agali, it was taken at the top of the strip looking north towards the Bimin, Bak and Tekin valleys.
And boy if there is any more Tigerish country in PNG I never saw it.
Once was lost in that area in a 185 during smoke haze from fires I can tell ya i fair shat until i found the lip of Oksapim volcano cone then plotted me way out from there.

I never want to go there again

==============================

Hope I did justice to it all!
Old 14th May 2002, 15:16

Here's where it all started:

Unknown PNG airstrips - Part 1
Unknown PNG airstrips - Part 2

All relevant URL's for photo albums, courtesy of OzExpat, within these threads.
Old 14th May 2002, 17:56

Capt. Vege,

Now you are making me think. The last time I was there was in 1997. Utai is basically just on the south side of the first set of ranges inland from Vanimo. If you know the Kilifas gap then you would track through this gap heading south and once through on the Sepik side turn left and head east for about 10 minutes in a 206 (i.e. 20-25nm). Threw all my maps away ages ago so not too sure now.

If I recall correctly Lumi and Angugunak were on the Sepik. If so then you are right Utai would be more north towards Vanimo.

Does anyone know if P2-DOV still operating out of Vanimo. Used to be operated by the Catholic mission.

Re. Agali,

Vegeboy, I think you are right. I seem to recall landing at this strip next to the Strickland Gorge........boy!! you are bringing back the memories. I think there was also a river that ran from the Porgera area west that entered the Strickland Gorge not far from Agali.

OZpat.

Still open in 1997. Yeah, sure is a surprise. Can't think what would be out there to keep it going....maybe the trade store business is good.

Bozz

Last edited by Bozzo; 14th May 2002 at 17:59.
Old 14th May 2002, 19:04

Vego,

Just found a map of WSP. Now I see where Lumi is. Utai on same side as Lumi but to the west and slightly north. Not very far though. Funny how these places all seemed a long way from each other......maybe it was the drone of the 206 or the BN.
Old 14th May 2002, 22:04

Er...dont spose anyone keen enough to scan some maps(WAC) and hang them on Ozmates site?
Old 14th May 2002, 22:05

PPRuNeaholic

Bozzo... P2-DOV doesn't feature in the latest Aircraft Register that I have but that list is probably a bit out of date. If memory serves tho, it was a C206...?
Old 14th May 2002, 22:09

PPRuNeaholic

Talking

... or even to hang them on Veg's site?

My own collection of said charts is under lock and key with all other valuables, in Oz... somewhere...
Old 14th May 2002, 22:13

Cool

Ozmate strewth mate thanks for The Meris of PNG

Never type rated meself but have heard lots of stories

Many pilots woken up with a massive hangover and looked down the bottom of the bed to see a set of black toes pokin' out the bed sheets. To their horror when they wiggled 'em, discovered that they weren't theirs ! !
Old 15th May 2002, 01:52

Bozzo

Dovair's C206 is now P2-MHC. (This URL is for a 782kb PDF file.)

Last edited by Eggman; 15th May 2002 at 02:03.
Old 15th May 2002, 08:00

PPRuNeaholic

Thumbs up

Ahhh, well that's a bit different Eggman! P2-MHC does indeed show up in my (dated) copy of the Aircraft Register. It's recorded as a CESSNA U206G, operated by the DIOCESE OF VANIMO (DOVAIR).
Old 15th May 2002, 08:25

PPRuNeaholic

Veg... how horrifying would it be to wake up with black toes pokin' outta the bedsheets and discover that they ARE yours?
Old 15th May 2002, 09:53

I may be wrong but...
Someone else asked about the fate of P2 DOV here a couple of years ago and, it was documented in Aus Aviation as being sold to an operator in the NT, Darwin or Katherine or similar
It was online with Vanair when I was there mid '97 but in 98/99 the Diocese was talkin about getting another balus, so maybe that is where P2 MHC comes from
Old 15th May 2002, 15:16

Oz Expat

Wanem dispela liklik piksa (fes bilong yu?) na nem istap klostu long nem bilong yu. Mi laikim wanpela.
Mi kan kissim wanpela we ?
Old 15th May 2002, 16:14

PPRuNeaholic

Thumbs up

I think you might be right lurch. I remember seeing it at Vanair around that time. Dunno what happened to it tho coz I'm not in the area where they keep tabs on that sorta thing and don't get to Vanimo very often ...thankfully!
Old 15th May 2002, 16:18

PPRuNeaholic

Smile

maus-warra... lukim e-mail blong yu!
Old 15th May 2002, 20:38

Eggman,

Thanks for the info on the Dovair plane. I read the URL you posted........very interesting. Knew Br. Jim well when he was at Ossima.

I used to carry cattle carcasses from Utai to Ossima for processing. We would then carry pigs from Ossima into Vanimo. I remember one time persuading Br. Jim to cut one of the pigs in half crossways. I then strapped the top half into the right front seat of the 206 put a pair of sun glasses and a hat on it and flew into Vanimo. The reaction of the locals on arrival was something to behold. Ah....only in PNG.
Old 16th May 2002, 07:51

OzEx maayte....

I can't believe my pidgin is that bad. I wanted to know how you got the avatar and the "PPRuNeaholic" ...not piccies of the 2k's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.