Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions
Reload this Page >

Aircraft incident at Brampton Island

Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Search this Thread

Old 15th Dec 2004, 03:32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Piper Aztec from Mackay ran off the runway at Brampton Island yesterday, ending up severely bogged and about a foot from going over the edge of the strip onto the beach.

Eyewitnesses on Brampton watched the aircraft land with 10knots of downwind on an already shortened strip, landing very long and fast.

The pilot allegedly claimed her brakes failed, however after being towed out of the bog she flew back to Mackay without the aircraft being checked by an engineer for the 'apparent brake failure'.

On arrival in Mackay she was met by CASA airworthiness, subsequent inspection showed no faults with the braking system.
This is at least the fourth such incident for this Mackay operator and it’s principals.

The same pilot and operator previously wrote off a Cherokee at Keswick Island, an Auster on the beach in Mackay and gutsed a Baron in Townsville.

The same operator was also the first one to violate the new airspace on the first day of introduction.

I guess having an ex CASA FOI from the local office as a business partner appears to make them exempt from the same minute scrutiny that other NQ operators are forced to tolerate!

Surely CASA should look hard and deep into this operation, or is there an element of “protection” involved?

Last edited by Woomera; 17th Dec 2004 at 02:01.
Old 17th Dec 2004, 02:09

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I can't believe there would be any conflicts of interest, incompetence, impropriatory or corruption with CASA staff in FNQ!

It's all a FNQ myth about CASA staff family flying overloaded, FOI having an interest in a local operator, FOI running short of fuel in a C310, and victimisation of certain operators who are perceived not to toe the line.

Last edited by Torres; 17th Dec 2004 at 02:38.
Old 18th Dec 2004, 01:53

Question hmmmmm

just wondering how someone from CASA allegedly got to MK so quick from TL? Methinks thats a crock...
Old 18th Dec 2004, 03:43

Received 170 Likes on 87 Posts
just wondering how someone from CASA allegedly got to MK so quick from TL
How do you know they weren't already there?
Old 19th Dec 2004, 02:00

i know they weren't there, and natbanger(he wishes) is full of it...
Old 19th Dec 2004, 09:35

Torres, just like there could not be anything to do with seat belts either

tipsy
Old 19th Dec 2004, 22:19

Pretty defamatory stuff Natbanger.

Wouldn't be a neighbour would you

Now this is the edit.

A quick look at the BOM site, backed up by AIMS sensors on the reef indicate the '10 kt tailwind' is an absolute fabrication!!!!

At best a 5 kt X-wind, bumpy past the hill, but that is all.

'Ran off the runway end while landing long' also seems to be a complete fabrication. A RELIABLE eyewitness states 'the aircraft was turning round and one wheel went off the runway' (not necessarily off the end).

I could go on, but I would have expected Torres to be a little more learned. After all, the most unfortunate part of our industry is MARGINAL OPERATORS having a go at sucessful ones ON THE SAME AIRPORT through an incompetent regulator and via backstabbing, bullsh!t and rumour.

And as for '"number" of incidents", pot this is kettle...out!!!!

Pull yer head in natbanger.

Max

Last edited by Maximus B; 19th Dec 2004 at 23:36.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 23:33

Check Attitude

Maximus B

If there is any verifiable evidence of the Townsville Office not being totally above board, nor a model litigant, then no, it is not defammatory, but possibly inflammatory.

There are a number of myths that warrant exposing or putting to bed with this office, the astute historian would naturally agree.

That this office may have established a unique culture is possibly just another myth.

You would be well advised to look below the surface and find out what is mythical, legendary, commendable or otherwise about this office.

You may well be surprised at what diligent research may uncover.

That this office could cleanly endure an independant inquiry or Royal Commission may be worth thinking about.

That would certainly clear their slate and establish them as the fairest and most impartial office in CASA.

It is ridiculous to suggest that there may be any thing untoward in the conduct of this office, surely it stands on it's unblemished record of fairness and impartiality.

Just ask any operator under their jurisdiction, they will assure you that all is well.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 23:41

Mainframe

I personally think the Townsville Office (and its norther subsidiary) are a BIG problem.

We can see the circumstantial evidence in the number of operators thrown out of business for what amounts, in my view, to little more than personality clashes. yes Tvl and Cns CASA need a thorough reaming.

However this DOES NOT excuse natbanger's defamatory posting against a competitor. It is unfortunate that those who can't run a sucessful aviation business, use rumour and the evil regulator to 'level the playing field' and it is incumbent upon all of us to pour scorn on these losers until they stop it, roll over and die.

Max
Old 19th Dec 2004, 23:46

I suspect the point being made is the differing standards applied by the CASA FNQ office. For example, in three recent cases of alleged aircraft being bogged:[list=1][*]An aircraft with a politician on board was bogged late October at a Cape York airstrip when the pilot taxied outside the cone markers. No CASA action.
[*]An aircraft was bogged at another remote Cape York airstrip, after receiving a satisfactory strip report. Incident contributed to suspension of RPT AOC.
[*]Incident of aircraft being bogged at Brampton following alleged brake failure. Aircraft departed without LAME check. Appears no CASA action.[/list=1]

Getting bogged at a remote, unsealed airstrip, in tropical northern Australia during the wet season would not appear to be a particularly onerous “crime”. Departing after an alleged brake failure, without a LAME check (I wonder what was entered on the MR?) should warrant the fullest investigation.

The inconsistent standards in these “incidents” applied by CASA in FNQ (over a number of years) should be a point of grave concern.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 23:56

Maximus

I appreciate your concern, however you will note the post by natbanger which initiated this thread contains:

[Last edited by Woomera on 17th December 2004 at 13:01]

I removed the thread at the time, as originally published and made certain amendments after obtaining advice. I am now satisfied the amended original post by natbanger complies with the posting rules of PPRuNe and is of interest to other PPRuNe users and viewers.

My action as a Moderator was required due solely to certain allegations in the original post. I am now satisfied the amended post complies with our posting rules.

I make no judgement or comment on the veracity or accuracy of the post content.

Woomera

Last edited by Woomera; 20th Dec 2004 at 00:33.
Old 20th Dec 2004, 00:22

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Max, if I read your post correctly, the following two statements appear to be contradictory:
I could go on, but I would have expected Torres to be a little more learned. After all, the most unfortunate part of our industry is MARGINAL OPERATORS having a go at sucessful ones ON THE SAME AIRPORT through an incompetent regulator and via backstabbing, bullsh!t and rumour.
and
We can see the circumstantial evidence in the number of operators thrown out of business for what amounts, in my view, to little more than personality clashes. yes Tvl and Cns CASA need a thorough reaming.
I think you’re trying to “play the person” rather than “playing the ball”?

I believe the allegations I made above to be accurate, if a tad flippant!

I really have no interest – there is a better life after aviation – both for me and the CASA FNQ staff!!!
Old 20th Dec 2004, 00:40

Torres

I did not mean to imply that any operation you were part of was marginal in any way, if my disjointed paragraphs suggested that I am sorry.

Rather I meant to imply that you, of all people, would know very well the implication of unchecked rumour used to stifle competition because you have been a victim of it.

As for CASA Tvl, go for it, they are in my view compromised and need a thorough overhaul.

Max
Old 20th Dec 2004, 01:21

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cplane, do you know where the infamous BJ is now?
Old 20th Dec 2004, 01:37

Maximus B

Rumour has it that the Townsville office does have problems and that Bruce Byron and John Anderson are aware of the problems and the offenders.

A Royal Commission into this Office and CASA generally in how they conduct their role in putting operators out of business at their whim would indeed prove interesting.
( Ord Air Charter, Yanda Airlines, UZU Airlines, Whyalla Airlines, Sea View Airlines, Kackeroo Aviation, Ansett Airlines , Schutt Aviation and others too numerous to mention, additionally the malicious and vindictive attempts on Midstate, Cape York and others still happening?)

However, such is wishful thinking.

However, the industry at large do communicate with each other and there are serious concerns with the Townsville office and it's conduct towards industry.

There is a new manager installed by Byron, but he will be meet the same fate as his predecessors and be shafted from below.

Unless of course he is particularly astute and if Byron has empowered him to fix the problems.

At least the industry has seen some fairness displayed by this office, rumour has it that three of it's own staff were bastardised just as severely by the offender just as have some selected operators been bastardised by the offender.

An allegedly "independant" report has been concluded, guess what the outcome was ? sorry, no prizes.

Then again, maybe all this is myth and rumour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.