Wikiposts
Search
Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

JERSEY

Search this Thread

Old 16th Oct 2004, 23:02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey Airport

Just heard today that airport authorities maybe going to ban a/c from 757 size upwards(maybe smaller) starting next year. This is due to lack of money from government to re-surface north-side apron, as over the last few years it has become a patch-work quilt of repairs.
Old 17th Oct 2004, 00:26

Jersey sees aircraft bigger than a 757 once in a blue moon!

This is no big deal, Jersey does'nt exactly have the likes of Virgin and BA long haul knocking at it's door!!!

Regards

Mike
Old 17th Oct 2004, 16:29

I was in Jersey a couple of weeks ago and although I liked the airport I was surprised to see that there seemed to be no connections to Paris or Amsterdam, leaving GTW as the sole hub for connecting to onward flights. There was a KLM F50 parked up though.

They must have lost a lot of points on there destination range recently.
Old 17th Oct 2004, 16:40

KLM Fk50 was a charter. No direct flights to Paris or Amsterdam. Twin Jet go Jersey - Cherbourg - Paris but that is all. Oh for a direct flight JER-CDG now that BA have given up LGW-CDG come the end of October.
Old 17th Oct 2004, 19:18

There were rumours of Air Southwest looking at Plymouth-Jersey-Paris.

Also, more potential new flights for Jersey include Thomsonfly from Doncaster Sheffield and Bournemouth, and Flybe. from Norwich.

Regards

Mike
Old 18th Oct 2004, 17:42

The KLM F50 from Rotterdam was a real treat; I haven’t seen one of them since KLM UK pulled out of the islands a couple of years ago.

Gatwick isn’t particular convenient as a hub to connect the islands to. While you can generally use it for North American flights and Europe, for the rest of the world it means a lengthy bus ride up to Heathrow.

All of the major hub connections have disappeared in the last few years such as Zurich, CDG and Heathrow, which is sad since the islands depend upon these links for tourism, business and their general travel.

Rumour had it that VLM or Aurigny was looking at Zurich since local banks had been campaigning for a link, but there is nothing official yet. A reinstated link to Heathrow would still be hugely welcome but nobody anticipates that in the near future!
Old 19th Oct 2004, 22:29

CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS. ANY A/C BIGGER THAN 737-800. POSSIBLY SMALLER. NORTH APRON IS ALREADY FALLING APART, JUST A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE IT IS SHUT OFF COMPLETELY.
Old 20th Oct 2004, 09:39

Unhappy

Would have thought JER-CDG and JER-AMS are ideal routes for BE, especially as BE code share with AF, and AF is now merged with KL. When did BACX stop serving JER-CDG? Jersey is still a great airport for GA though and I always enjoy going in there from the mainland, the handling is superb and briefing services (especially met.) first class.
Old 20th Oct 2004, 11:10

Brunel to Concorde

kala87

Brymon then BACX used to operate four daily rotations from BRS to CDG. Three went direct and the fourth went via PLH and JER.

This state of affairs continued until summer 2002 after which the DH 8-300s, which operated the route via PLH and JER, were phased out of BRS. The direct BRS-CDG route was by then operated by ERJ 145s.

The situation now is that there are five daily BACX BRS-CDG rotations and one daily BACX BRS-JER rotation, all operated by the ERJ 145. I would have thought that one of the five could have gone via JER or even that the present JER rotation could be extended to CDG.

It was reported at the weekend that BRS is to get a fifth BACX 145 based there from next March. If this is so perhaps they will look at the possibility of linking JER and CDG then.

I don't know if BACX operated any other flights from JER to CDG that emanated from another UK mainland airport other than BRS.
Old 23rd Oct 2004, 14:58

more political

i think the announcement to ban a/c bigger than 737-800 is more than likely to be a political move. By stopping certain types of a/c landing in jer the government is more likely to agree the money to replace / repair the north apron.

Last edited by Ckin Gal; 28th Oct 2004 at 22:19.
Old 23rd Oct 2004, 16:45
niknak

Isnt this indicative of the attitude of a lot of the smaller regional airport authorities, rather than invest a realtively large sum to maintain services and support operators, which in turn gives the people who actually finance the airport - in Jersey's case, the people of Jersey, they adopt a "head in the sand" policy, which ultimately reduces the services available to the very people they're supposed to be serving.
Old 4th Feb 2005, 16:46

Exclamation hmm

I think the people of Jersey given the correct information would prefer that the airport was in service as it is one of the only means of reaching the main land. But try telling the politicians that.

Back to work
Old 5th Feb 2005, 14:36

For now I guess the most convenient (?) way of reaching CDG from JER is either via SOU which is served very well by BE from JER, and likewise CDG is served very well from SOU by AF/Brit Air. Also BE are soon to be operating EXT-CDG.

Unless you want to go via CER with Twin Jet - Does anyone know how long this takes? Judging by the size of their a/c this option has got expensive written all over it.

Tri
Old 5th Feb 2005, 14:48

getting bit off the point but...

TwinJet fly Beech1900s (I think) and fly Jersey-Orly daily and with a "WAP Achat anticipe 30 jours" (buy it 30days in advance) return fare is £140 plus tax see www.twinjet.net

Interesting utilisaiton... arrives JER at 0810 then sits around til 1615 and goes back
Old 6th Feb 2005, 11:11

caa19,

I expect that's just the right amount of time for the crew to get a taxi into town, do some shopping, have a nice big lunch then head back to the airport for the return flight home!

Old 6th Feb 2005, 11:47
stilljustanothernumber

757 likely to do less damage than 737-800/A321 (more wheels)
Old 8th Feb 2005, 06:58

twin jet

or gives them time to sleep when you think what timw they must have left orly to get the cherbourg and then us by 8am. btw they have loverly croissants. ha ha
Old 23rd Apr 2005, 14:43

Lightbulb

TwinJet arn't bad. Their flt prices aren't too bad if they are baught in advance.

Trislander - you must have some insider's info as that is pretty much what they do! Go in to town, turn up at the apt at -40, receive their paperwork and go down to the aircraft to start the flight!

Old 26th Oct 2005, 16:28

It's true that the north apron is not up to the task of holding larger a/c types & is therefore on a weight restriction, as is the Delta turn off (10,000kgs I believe).

But one of the other reasons for the restriction on 757/A321/B738 or larger types was the CAA's decision to remove the RFFS Remission Factor at the beginning of this year.
This allowed CAT7 a/c, as mentioned above, to operate into airfields only offering CAT6 fire cover, provided there were no more than 700 movements in the busiest 3 months of the year.
Now that this has gone any movement of a CAT7 a/c requires an increase in fire cover, & as cut backs are everywhere at the moment you can imagine the authorities are lothe to do this too often!

It's a shame, but until the airport get's the investment it needs we won't be seeing too many of these types
Old 26th Oct 2005, 16:36

What I find even more depressing is the almost complete lack of debate on airport/air transport issues during the recent senatorial elections; there seems to be curiously little understanding of the importance of air transport to Jersey at a political level and an expectation that growth/development can come by standing still and waiting - and without much (or preferably any) expenditure.

Unfortunately, I see a kind of tombstone imperative for air transport in Jersey - it'll take a major airline like Flybe or BA to pull out or drastically reduce its services for the airport to sit up and take notice, by which time the downward cycle might be too well advanced to arrest without very significant investment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.