Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > South Asia and Far East Wannabes
Reload this Page >

Pass Your Dragonair Selection.

Wikiposts
Search
South Asia and Far East Wannabes A forum for those applying to Cathay Pacific, Dragonair or any other Hong Kong-based airline or operator. Use this area for both Direct Entry Pilot and Cadet-scheme queries.

Search this Thread

Old 8th Aug 2004, 11:41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Layout

The KA pilot interview and selection process is a relatively straightforward affair and should pose no problems for anyone with at least a minimum amount of common sense and reasonable hands and feet skills. Lego expertise, longboat proficiency or bridge building and engineering skills are not required for entry into this airline.

The selection process is generally broken down into two days. If you get through Day 1, you’ll be invited back to Day 2 and that’s about the size of it completely. It’s a no-nonsense personality, skills and background assessment procedure.

Day 1

You’ll be interviewed by at least two (very senior) people from Human Resources and / or Flight Operations. This interview can last anything from 20 minutes to one hour. The vast majority of the questions will involve your history and background. The standard “Tell us about yourself...” types of questions, which can be found in any decent interview book, will come up. It is also possible that a number of aviation related questions could be asked here, so be prepared. Your qualifications will be looked at and your logs books scrutinized with a fine-tooth-comb.

Day 2

Within 14 days of your initial interview, you’ll be notified of the result. Should you be successful you will accordingly be invited back for Day 2. This will involve a technical interview, usually conducted by one of the Senior HR Managers as well as (at least) another two senior flying types. This should last up to an hour culminating in a short pre-simulator briefing regarding your planned assessment

Later in the day you will be stuck in the box for 30 minutes and that is the end of it. There is also usually a social event planned for an evening in a pub somewhere, but this (in my opinion) has nothing to do with the actual recruitment process and your wives will not be interrogated.

Some Advice

1. DO NOT BULLSH!T THESE PEOPLE!!!! They will find out. Just be yourself.
2. When replying to a question, talk to everyone in the room.
3. Give much thought to cultural differences and working together within a totally multi-cultural environment.
4. Remember, this airline belongs to the Chinese people. Essentially you are an invited guest into their house.
5. Know everything about HK Dragon Airlines.
6. Know everything about life in HK.
7. Study “How to Pass your Cathay interview” by Captains X, Y and Z.
8. Study your Performance A. (I used "Understanding Performance" by AJ Walters and found it to be brilliant)
9. If you’re type rated, know your aircraft.

Simulator.

This is exactly what you’d expect it to be and actually quite a lot of fun. The blokes involved in these checks are all really good guys and are not looking for Biggles. The ride goes something like this and it’s no big secret. They will fill you in on Day 2.

Take off – climb to 3000 ft - level off - clean up and cruise at 250 kts.
Left and right medium turns.
Radar vectored ILS to Cat 1 minimums.
Go around.
Engine Fire.
Radar vectored ILS and land.

In Closing

Quite a high number of applicants are not invited back to Day 2.
Only they know what they are looking for in you. If you try and put on a show, you'll probably regret it.
You need to really want this job and also to have something to offer KA. Get that message across.
Somebody told me that the selection process was a ".. pretty good d!ckhead filter..", I believe that it is.
It's the best darn airline job going!

Good luck dude!

PS: Edited to add point 9 reference.

Last edited by 126.9; 8th Aug 2004 at 16:52.
Old 9th Aug 2004, 14:05

Further Advice...

As far as exactly what questions you can expect to be asked goes; again, this is not rocket science. The vast majority of these airlines ask the same questions and you already know what to expect. It would be grossly unfair to all concerned, to post a list of questions here however, there are ways of working out what to expect. Get your hands on the two books mentioned above and possibly even the one by Captains X. Y and Z written for Emirates. Skip through all that airline specific junk and the stuff about Mechano, Lego and Viking Boats, and work on the technical and personal stuff. Buying a book on airline interviews (not the American Dr Phil variety) would do no harm either. Having said that, KA are looking for team players, future captains and long-term investment employees.

Any other KA blokes having an insight into this subject, feel free to post here!

Understanding Performance
by AJ Walters

ISBN No. 0-9541815-0-6

HERE

Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview
By Captains X, Y and Z.

HERE

Preparing for your Emirates Interview
By Captains X, Y and Z.

HERE
Old 9th Aug 2004, 16:37

Great gouge - thanks. I want to get a resume to Dragon but what's the process? I've looked at their website but they only mention the cadet program, are they still wanting ex-pats? And, if so, do I just send a resume their way? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 9th Aug 2004, 16:44

Your darn right about being honest. I was not as perfectly honest as I could have been. Seems it must have been apparent. Bummer, seemed like a good company to work for. Oh well, down to lifes learning curve.

Stick
Old 10th Aug 2004, 14:22

Hi all,

Good posting BUT... The 'informal' drinks after the sim is were many people ruin what they have build up to get that far!!!

Don't be thinking you are best mates with em after those few pints of lager!!!!

Behave and be sociable!!! (Sounds obvious but you'd be surprised...)
Old 26th Aug 2004, 09:24

When and How Many?

Another thing: If you need any info regarding when they're hiring, or freight fleet hiring versus pax fleet hiring, you'll have to ask Dragonair directly. I personally am rather reluctant to post that sort of rumour here, and that is all you'll get here on that subject: RUMOUR mate!
Old 30th Aug 2004, 13:38

Who To Contact..?

Email applications go HERE, otherwise maill your paperwork to:

c/o Ann Law
L2, Dragonair House
11 Tung Fai Road,
Hong Kong International Airport,
Lantau,
Hong Kong

You can try calling or faxing the following Head Office numbers if you really want to:

Tel: (852) 3193-3193
Fax: (852) 3193-3194
Old 1st Sep 2004, 08:07

Dragonair Cargo salaries etc

126.9,further to the selection info can you provide some info on Capt and F/O salaries,allowances system,increments if any,PHI etc.
Thanks
Old 2nd Sep 2004, 19:01

Sorry mate, I can't. But I'm sure that someone else here can. It's just that I'm not going to publish anything that is Dragonair OFFICIAL here without a mandate from the company to do so. I'm sure you'll understand. I love this company and it's people and don't want to misrepresent them.
Old 17th Sep 2004, 23:12

Thumbs up Well Done !!

What a brilliant attitude amigo. I am so pleased to here someone say those words about his profession and his company. All of us here at EK have heard really nice things about Dragon Air.

From what I have read in this forum and all the others. The only two airlines that their pilots are happy are Dragon and Virgin Atlantic.

Regards
Old 20th Sep 2004, 07:45

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Check Six, 'Happy' is a relative term! Perhaps grateful not to be working for some other employers would be a more appropriate description. Most new employees at Ka are happy, however one must only look at their less than desirable former employers to understand why. The happiness fades as the memory of the former employer fades, Cheers.
Old 20th Sep 2004, 09:36

Danger Karunch

What a sad and pathetic opinion to take over someone you've never even met nor know anything about...
Old 1st Oct 2004, 07:36

Like I said (from the inside): "... a sad and pathetic opinion ...".

Some bloke tries to do good and help people and colleagues on the outside get in, and all he has to deal with is mud-slinging and trying to keep others from dragging his profession into the gutter.
Old 23rd Nov 2004, 20:06

Gidday

Has onyone been through the second stage interview lately?
If so, I would very much appreciate some feedback.

Regards
Old 25th Dec 2004, 07:44

Just for info,

I found understanding performance by AJ Walters shallow and usefull only as a laymans Guide.

I have used Oxford Flying Schools books ..Much Better
Old 18th Jan 2005, 22:18

Question Understanding PERFORMANCE AJ Walters

hey guys, thanks for the insightful info. i have been preparing for the CX interview when i came across your prep for dragon air. i have done a couple of searches for that book by AJ Walters, Understanding Performance, but keep coming up empty. could someone please help me on where to find this book.
Old 21st Jan 2005, 08:40
INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The book is available at Transair Pilot Shop (UK)

Link : http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.a...Product_ID=720

In case that doesn't work, their site is www.transair.co.uk

Happy Studying. On a side note, I hope I'm not the only one that is finding 'Handling the Big Jets' a tough read!
Old 31st Mar 2005, 01:31
COP

Does anyone out there know if Dragonair are recruiting for 747 classic pilots for the cargo outfit? If so what is the best way to go about it? I am aware that they based in HKG and MAN. What is the route structure like and are you an employee of Dragon or are you a contractor. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 7th Feb 2006, 13:41

Originally Posted by 126.9
As far as exactly what questions you can expect to be asked goes; again, this is not rocket science. The vast majority of these airlines ask the same questions and you already know what to expect. It would be grossly unfair to all concerned, to post a list of questions here however, there are ways of working out what to expect. Get your hands on the two books mentioned above and possibly even the one by Captains X. Y and Z written for Emirates. Skip through all that airline specific junk and the stuff about Mechano, Lego and Viking Boats, and work on the technical and personal stuff. Buying a book on airline interviews (not the American Dr Phil variety) would do no harm either. Having said that, KA are looking for team players, future captains and long-term investment employees.

Any other KA blokes having an insight into this subject, feel free to post here!

Understanding Performance
by AJ Walters

ISBN No. 0-9541815-0-6

HERE

Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview
By Captains X, Y and Z.

HERE

Preparing for your Emirates Interview
By Captains X, Y and Z.

HERE
i couldn't link to the site
Old 13th Feb 2006, 00:40

Thx, 126.9! Very informative!

btw, how about the layout of Dragonair CPP? There are a lots of discussion and sharing about CX CPP, but I could hardly find any about Dragonair. I would be grateful if anyone can provide any ideas, experiences or comments about dragonair CPP selection process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.