Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

What PC shall I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 5th Jan 2004, 00:10

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What PC shall I buy?

The time has come to update my PC. It's about 5 years old, abysmally slow, and since I installed Norton Anti-Virus 2004 (Norton 2002 flatly refused to work or update!) it's almost given up altogether.

But what to buy, and where? I have a catalogue from Novatech; their prices are good, and I bought a flat screen from them some time back. But some people say I should buy locally so I have local back-up. There used to be a small local guy who was great, but he's gone out of business. Some people say PC World are OK; others don't like them, and I don't know why.

What to buy? I need it mainly for PPRuNing, internet, emails etc. I might conceivably use my flight sim now and then. I have a digital camera, and would like to be able to store and send photos without the PC crashing as it does now. I'd like a CD Writer for similar reasons. I suppose being able to play DVDs might be nice some day...how do I decide what I'll want in the future?

So, do I buy an entry level PC, which is far better than I've got now? Or do buy the best I can afford, even if it's far too sophisticated for my present needs? And what sort of specifications do I want? And does the type/make make any difference?

I plan to keep the same screen, printer etc, and there's a local guy in the village who can help me set it up and hopefully sort out any initial problems.

All opinions gratefully received, but don't get too technical; I can't understand much more than the basics of how these things work.

Thanks in advance,

Whirly
Old 5th Jan 2004, 01:35
Bringer of Wx

Whirly

Why don't you consider a Mac? You can do all the stuff you do now (or fail to do now!) except run MS Flight Sim (and you can even do that if you run an emulator, but you did say not to get too technical!)

If you really want a sim, you could always treat yourself to the wonderful X-Plane instead.

The best thing is, as you said you weren't very 'techie', that it will be a doddle to set up and use, will work straight out of the box and will continue to do so.

PM me if you need any more info - good luck with your search!

Jx

:::::waiting with baited breath for the inevitable flak from Richard::::::
Old 5th Jan 2004, 03:54

I was recently in the same position and ended up going for a Dell. PC World are a nightmare unless you agree to buy one of there overpriced and unneccesory warranties. Only go for a MAC if you are familiar with them and need to use them for Video/Music (I don't want to start a mac v pc debate - i work with computers for a living and Mac's are good for certain things and the look pretty but are not really the best way forward for the majority of people).

Dell were effecient and the machine is seriously good value.
Old 5th Jan 2004, 04:15

Whirlybird, I have to second the idea of getting a mac. An iMac sounds like just what you need. They all come with CD writers, I use X-plane as a flight sim which is excellent and will run fine on the new G4 imac. Apple make uploading photos from a digital camera extrmemly easy and it doesn't require any addition software. Email and internet are also extremely easy to configure (in fact, if you have LAN, ADSL, Cable, DLS or airport [wifi] connection, it will configure itself for you).
There are also quite a few distribtions of linux now that will run on a mac if you don't fancy using the mac os interface. Last time I looked, you could get an imac for under £1,000. Failing that, you could also get an eMac. They're not quite a pretty as the imac (they resemble more the older CRT imacs) but they do the job fine, are just as easy to set up as the imac and the newer G4 eMacs are surprisingly powerful for what they are and what you pay for them (i think you can get one for around £800). Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Old 5th Jan 2004, 04:24

IMO, the "upgrade it later" argument is something of a red herring.

New mother board and processor, new memory (because your old won't work in the new mother board), new large hard disk, etc, and what you will have done is to jack up the old case and replace all its innards. The case and power supply might cost 50 quid.

I have assembled my own DOS/Windows machines since the 486. I wouldn't do it at today's price of already-assembled systems.

SC
Old 5th Jan 2004, 06:37
The Oracle

Whirlybird,

It is all up to you. It is what you think you would do with a computer if you had a fast computer with a good connection to the Internet. You cannot use what you do now as an indication of what you would do on a computer, since you said it is "abysmally slow" and "crashing".

One thing is, you keep your computer for a long time. Most Dead End Systems only come with a 1 year warranty if you are lucky and they are made out of OEM parts. If you build your own computer or you have a person build a computer for you, then you get Retail parts that come with a 3 year warranty and they can be easily upgraded.

If you would like to build your own or have someone build one for you, we would be happy to advise you on which parts would be the best option for your current needs and perceived future needs.

I would not recommend buying a bottom of the line computer or the most expensive you can afford, usually neither are a good value in the end. The trick is getting a computer built with best bang for the buck components and can be upgraded.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. WeatherJinx, no flak here. Everyone is equally entitled to their own opinion and I respect that, no matter how wrong it is.

Last edited by Naples Air Center, Inc.; 5th Jan 2004 at 09:22.
Old 5th Jan 2004, 11:02

Just Binos

Some seriously irrelevant advice being given here methinks, given that Whirly asked to keep the techie side out of it. The Mac pushers really should tell her how much new software she's going to be up for, shouldn't they?

Whirly, from a non-guru, if you have somebody you know and trust who will set it up for you and provide after sales service on a personal and local basis, my strong advice would be to use him. There are thousands of alternatives which will do the job for you, don't lose too much sleep over the precise details.

As you have noted, even the basic entry level computer will be streets ahead of what you have now, so sit down and have a talk to him, tell him what you need and what you want to pay, and let him make the decisions.

Good luck
Old 5th Jan 2004, 11:47

My young lady bought me a Mesh 8210xi for Christmas (lucky me on two counts!)
Their website is well worth a look, you can build something to your own spec and (so far) I have got truly outstanding performance, all for just over a grand.
I had decided to build my own until it turned up on my doorstep, wonderful surprise!

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/index.htm
Old 5th Jan 2004, 12:21
The Oracle

Fitzy,

I like the way you think.

Whirlybird,

I was playing around with the Build your own Comp feature and came out with: (It would help if you gave us a price range you were shooting for.)

Matrix A Power BTO (Feb04)
  • Case: MESH ATX MidiTower +360W PSU with tool free access
  • Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
  • Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nVIDIA nFORCE2 with 10/100 Ethernet LAN
  • Motherboard Features: 2x (1394 Firewire, Serial ATA, 10/100 LAN) & S/PDIF
  • Processor: AMD Athlon XP (TM) 2600+ with Quantispeed Technology
  • Memory: Upgrade to 512Mb PC3200 DDR (400MHz) at £50
  • Floppy + Portable Storage Options: 1.44MB Floppy Drive at £10
  • Hard Drives: 80GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast Hard Drive
  • Video Card: Upgrade to 128MB nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 Personal Cinema (non-DVI) at £90
  • Optical Drives: Upgrade to 48x24x48x16 CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive at £15
  • Sound: Onboard Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Speakers: New Creative Labs Inspire P580 - 5.1 Surround at £50
  • Modem: 56kbps V92 Modem, featuring data and fax.
  • Keyboard & Mouse: Upgrade to Logitech Cordless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse at £39
  • Warranty: 3 Years - Parts & Labour - Back-to-Base Warranty (Mainland UK only - Terms Apply)
  • Delivery: Insured Del within Mainland UK (+ £39) at £39

Price Excluding VAT: £ 692
(You can see where I tossed in some upgrades. I did not put in a monitor, since you said you already bought one.)

Still well below the price of an iMAC

Take Care,

Richard
Old 5th Jan 2004, 14:55
Bringer of Wx

i work with computers for a living and Mac's are good for certain things and the look pretty but are not really the best way forward for the majority of people).
Timbo

Since you 'work with computers' and are obviously an expert, could you enlighten us at to what can a PC do that a Mac can't, exactly? Justify your grand, sweeping statement with evidence.

Binos

How can you say that the advice I offered was irreverent? In no way would I mislead a fellow Prooner into making an ill-informed purchase. Whirly is free to buy what she likes. You normally keep your arguments reasonable - I am surprised by your comments.

I inform her from the standpoint of many years of happy, trouble free, virus-free and crash-free computer use; I am constantly being called upon by PC-owning friends to help them with seemingly endless viruses, BSODs and other nightmares.

I too use a PC at work - I just know what I'd rather spend my own money on and there are many on PPRuNe (take a bow the mod on this forum and its owner to name but two ) who would tend to agree.

Ordinary, non-techie people can do without the kind of nonsense described above and that is absolutely what a Mac delivers. Plus a bundle of software included in the price that means she will want for nothing - and wave goodbye to PC viruses - for good.

Jx

PS Richard - appreciate your footnote! I was merely offering you some bait
Old 5th Jan 2004, 15:34

WeatherJinx

I never once alluded to being an "expert" as you put it - one aspect of my job is to look after and develop the IT system of one of the companies I work with. I never said a PC could do something a mc could not - I just ventured an opinion as one was sought from the original post. In fact I specifically said I did not want to enter into a debate with reference to the pros and cons of mc's v pc. The simple fact is lots of people use pc's (which is not an indication that they are in any way better) and therefore software is cheap and plentiful and most people can help if you have a problem.

Oneof the downsides to Pprune is people like you,who come back with remarks bordering on being rude when all I ventured was an opinion. Get a life.
Old 5th Jan 2004, 15:41
Bringer of Wx

Timbo

I didn't intend to be rude to you, and apologise if that is how you saw my riposte. This is a fairly 'lively' bulletin board, however, so you shouldn't expect assertions (informed or otherwise) to go unchallenged.

If you want to see rude, check out 'Rumours and News'
Old 5th Jan 2004, 17:51

The Original Whirly

Thanks for all that, people. Thoughts so far:

I don't want a Mac, because I don't want the hassle of learning anything new - and I'm sure I'd have to! And I don't want to spend close to a grand either! Everything people say about them is good, IF you have the time and energy to learn it all. I don't. I'm not actually that interested (arggghh, I said that, on the computer forum!!!!!!!!!). I just want to be able to carry on pressing buttons as I have been for years, no more. So Binos had it about right. But you weren't to know that - there are degrees of non-techieness!!!

Make up my own! Arggghhhhhh. I'm sure it's a good idea, and I could probably learn to, but at the moment...no way; I can't even transfer all the stuff from my old one to my new one without help. I know just about enough to know that walking into PC World and putting myself at the mercy of a 16 year old salesman is a Bad Idea (actually, the said 16 year old salesman treated me like a silly lady who knew absolutely nothing and didn't have a single brain cell, and I walked out), but not much more.

OK, I'm looking at Novatech's catalogue, and thinking about the following:

Sigma XP 2400 FX
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
512MB PC2700 333MHz DDR RAM
80GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
128MBDDR GeForce FX5200 AGP Card
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
16 Bit 3D Sound on-board (AC '97)
10/100 RJ45 Network Port
56K Modem

With Windows XP Home Edition, £479.40 including VAT, plus about £20 delivery.

Any comments?
Old 5th Jan 2004, 20:24

Just Binos

Whirly, I'm sure there'll be comments about your suggestion, and I don't know the brand names, reliability or anything else, but if you're looking to spend minimum dollars the specs on that system will provide you with everything YOU need, and be so far ahead of your current system you'll be amazed.

WeatherJinx,

Sorry if I came across unreasonably. As you know I have pondered the thought of getting a Mac myself, and maybe they are worth paying double the price Whirly is suggesting with her barebones system. Maybe not.

I tend to post here only to ask questions as a definite non-guru, and if I happen to offer advice, it's usually from the same perspective. I think I'm often closer to understanding the needs of the bottom end user than a lot of well-meaning people who are so excited by their own systems, or in some cases, knowledge, that they forget the person asking the question is not going to have a clue what they're talking about. Those are the rare occasions I feel I can be of some use. And it wasn't you I was referring to in my first post.

I hope nobody took offence, I could just see things getting further away from what Whirly asked for.

Cheers,

Binos

P.S. And Whirly, from what I've seen and heard about Macs, the whole idea is that you don't have to worry about learning new things. They are MUCH more intuitive and friendly than PC's. But they are more expensive (fact) and a lot of your years of software accumulation can suddenly be rendered useless. (I won't call that a fact, but I suspect it is.)
Old 5th Jan 2004, 23:08
Bringer of Wx

Binos

No worries mate It just annoys me that (and I'm not talking about you here) some of the old anti-Mac myths and mantras still seem to stick; usually repeated by those who have never even used a Mac. I think they may have held a drop or two of of water at some point, but not for years now:

Check out the eMac - £649 including monitor - this is truly a bargain for the budget-conscious! And remember - you are buying a top quality manufactured product from a world-class brand here - not some 'Bundle O' Bits' from God knows where.

True, an iMac will set you back just under a grand for the lowest-price model, but often 'street' prices are lower; and again that includes a monitor (in this case a stunning flat-panel TFT display - great for simming).

As to the old 'theres too little software' chestnut - Macs have all the old favourites, MS Office, Photoshop etc. - plus thousands upon thousands of other apps, from games and business tools to music composition, video editing suites to CAD suites and DNA sequencers. This so-called 'argument' really is uninformed bo**ox.

Speaking of software, all Macs come fully loaded with it - a full business suite, games and utilities, plus the much-admired 'iLife' collection.

Whirly

Glad you appear to have found a solution to your ageing computer problem. I suffered the same feeling until I replaced my almost 7yr-old Mac with a 17" iMac last year. As Binos suggests, it really is like stepping into another world when you upgrade!

That spec looks fine and good value for money, seeing as you have decided to take the PC route. Good luck and happy button-pushing!

Jx

Last edited by WeatherJinx; 5th Jan 2004 at 23:19.
Old 6th Jan 2004, 01:52
The Oracle

Whirlybird,

I have been trying to get a feel for what you want to do and what you want to spend.

I took that you want to play a flight sim, play DVDs and burn music.

The GeForceFX 5200 is a very weak Video Card. It is not something I would recommend. It will have a lot of trouble with the next Generation of Sims. (Since I figure you will be keeping this computer for a long time.)

If you are going to watch movies and listen to music, 16 Bit 3D Sound on-board (AC '97) is not going to give you much sound. (Also I do not know if the computer you listed comes with speakers.)

Also I did not see Keyboard Mouse or any kind of Warranty with the computer you listed.

I will check out their website and see what all they are offering with the computer.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Sure looks like the Militant MACers have come out in this thread. (All that testosterone flying around this thread!)
Old 6th Jan 2004, 02:20
Bringer of Wx

Richard

Who's being militant? Just stating my opinion - something you seem to do more than your fair share of...this is a bulletin board after all

Whirly's clearly not a power user. Why are you trying to talk her into the absolute top-of the line uber-geek PC components? The spec. she described is plenty for her stated requirements.

You seem to always have to go 'one up' on advice other posters give (viz. your bandwidth-hogging response on the 'joystick' thread). Perhaps you should get out more.

Jx
Old 6th Jan 2004, 02:44
The Oracle

Whirlybird,

I was looking at the Sigma XP 2400 FX Specs on the Novatech website.

I think you should look at the site Fitzy mentioned. It is a better computer and will work better in the future for you too. The nForce2 Motherboard that Mesh uses is excellent.

The Novatech Computer is a mATX Format and is pretty much Dead End. (It only has a one year warranty too.)

Do look around the Mech Computer Website and see if there is anything that might interest you.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Remember that it is your money, you spend it any way you want. Do not worry about anything we say here, in the end it has to be something you are happy with.

P.P.S. WeatherJinx, looks like our posts crossed. I think time to switch to Decaf there. TCS and I are having a good time but you seem to be taking everything a little to personally. We are all friends here, no reason to get heated. Sorry you did not like my high bandwidth post in the joystick thread. You know, if your MAC cannot handle the high bandwidth post like that, I am sure TCS and I can point you in the direction of a good PC.
Old 6th Jan 2004, 03:12
Bringer of Wx

Hey Rich..I'm enjoying myself too!

I'll pass up on your offer of a 'good PC' though (an oxymoron, surely?) - don't think I could cope with the downtime

BTW, my machine has no problem with the bandwidth - it's a Unix-based broadband screamer!

I was just gently hinting that the use of hyperlinks might have been a little more appropriate for a 'labour of love' site such as PPRuNe, that's under server strain even at the best of times..

No personal offence taken at the other stuff..I'm partial to the odd wind-up myself

Jx
Old 6th Jan 2004, 03:14

I bought from Carrera 6 months ago, so far no problems, you also get 3 years on site + 2 years rtb warranty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.