Wikiposts
Search
Safety, CRM, QA & Emergency Response Planning A wide ranging forum for issues facing Aviation Professionals and Academics

Sioux City, United 232

Search this Thread

Old 17th Dec 2003, 04:40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sioux City, United 232

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just stumbled across this transcript of a speech by Capt. Haynes.

If the story as told in various documentaries is amazing, Capt. Haynes own words are something else and ultimately quite moving.

NASA
Ames Research Center
Dryden Flight Research Facility
Edwards, California

presents

The Crash of United Flight 232

by Capt. Al Haynes

Last edited by paulo; 23rd Dec 2003 at 07:08.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 07:13

Paulo you are right, the transcript is amazing, the accident even more so.

Both Al Haynes and Denny Fitch are up there on my list of "people I'd like to meet". Their wits saved the lives of many people and they are truly heroes in my mind.

SG
Old 17th Dec 2003, 12:25

Location: Amidst the dust and the flies, somewhere in Western Australia
Was fortunate enough to meet Al Haynes and the man was everything I had imagined, and then some. The man is extremely modest too. It was a most humbling experience and I was definitely inspired by the man.

I have now had the fortune to have met two wonderful aviators, whom also happen to be the 2 people I admire the most, Captain Al.Haynes and the now decaesed Sir Douglas Bader. two men for whom the word quit was not known.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 16:35

Hmmmm

Al Haynes I would definitely like to meet. Douglas Bader was another kettle of fish entirely. An extremely unpleasant gentleman.
Old 17th Dec 2003, 16:48

Imagine after surviving an accident like that it would make you humble and modest. Such an incident must have a profound effect on your personality
Old 7th Jan 2004, 11:18

I met Al Haynes once (what a great man) and sat through his lecture during which he described the events leading up to Sioux. I was absolutely spellbound.

I was an usher at Douglas Bader's memorial service and ended up chatting with Enoch Powell. His opinion of Doug B remains with me as one of the most incredible pieces of character assasination I've ever heard. DBs CRM and safety awareness was not apparently that good.