Wikiposts
Search
The Pacific: General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys in Oz, NZ and the rest of Oceania.

Drinking Legends!

Search this Thread

Old 30th Sep 2003, 06:40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drinking Legends!

In a departure from all the industry garbage floating around at the moment, I thought it appropriate to ponder on some of the best drinkers I have come across in aviation.

Guys (and girls) who can put in a sterling performance at the bar and then front up the next day looking a million dollars and flying accordingly. Before some of you media and do gooder types run off for your next story, either read and understand what we are talking about or else please go away

Like plumbers, police officers, doctors and nuclear physicists we all like a drink AFTER HOURS IN OUR OWN TIME. Get it media knobs?

I have seen some legendary performances over the past 20 years or so. Some of these champions are still flying so in the interests of anonymity lets keep all references to names, companies and current locations out of it.

One overseas mate could (and can) consume copious amounts of the amber fluid each night only to front up in the AM looking and feeling great. Made me very jealous. Another mate ate very little at night as it used up valuable space."More beer" was his war cry and he lived it to a tee. Unbelievable drinker and a great operator to boot.

All the great drinkers I have come across are good blokes with a healthy attitude on life (hypocracy I hear you say). Many managers could do well taking a leaf out of these peoples books on the benefit of social interaction. I am not espousing the values of drinking, as I already know the immense social benefit of this fine tradition among aviators.

DRINKING, SHAGGING AND FLYING. Ahhhhh what a life!
Old 30th Sep 2003, 07:11

Whilst the topic is very dear to my heart, I'm not sure it belongs here, or in JetBlast.

Will move to here and seek Counsel from my fellow Members of the Grand Order of Woomeri. Over a the odd tonsil lubricant, no doubt....

Woomera
Old 30th Sep 2003, 15:24

Devil

Sperm Bank

15 million sperm cells and you won the race?
Old 30th Sep 2003, 16:49
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Talking

I do alright, as many of you who have joined me will attest. (accept one fatefull day in Melbourne........ where I didnt shape up to good)

Ozex, would do alright too, If he didnt pike so early and sleep so much.
Old 30th Sep 2003, 18:18
Ohcirrej

I remember a story about a certain ATC bod in the airport bar in Mt. Isa who got hold of the slops trays on the bar, emptied them into a glass, smiled, and drank on. Several times!!!

Or, on another occasion, who stood in the same aforementioned bar and held all and sundry spellbound as he shouted taxi instructions, as well as a hold position and line up clearance after the landing, to a departing Fokker they could see out the window. Of course, the aircraft did just what it was told to!
Old 30th Sep 2003, 19:29

I remember a certain ATC trainee who used to put away quite a lot of scotch each night and then wear sunglasses in class the next day to cover the bloodshot eyes. Also same trainee was able to hold down his drink even after a certain Senior Instructor went for a swim in a white t-shirt with no underwear on underneath. Cheers Jerricho
Old 1st Oct 2003, 15:49

Remember someone on their way to work in uniform in a large remote center blew some several times higher than the legal maximum for driving, and as I understand convicted.

Did wonders for the other operators at said location, said company that employed the pilot lost a lot of work over it.

Some hangovers don't do your career wonders.
Old 1st Oct 2003, 18:56
Ohcirrej

ANSA - Scotch??? Sunglasses??? Guy sounds like he was a bit of a d!ck. Hope he got his act together.

HOWEVER, I do remember the 'wet T shirt' competition. Thank you for reminding me (I'm just off to remove that section of my brain!)
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 13:43

Mostly Harmless

A morning shift in Port Hedland once found the Flight Service Center deserted. They rang the duty supervisor, no answer. They rang the A/G officer who said the supervisor and the Teleprinter guy had been drinking, then had a massive fight in the middle of the night. When the A/G guy complained they kicked him out of the unit and he went home.

They found the supervisor and the teleprinter guy asleep in the back of a car in the car park with an empty grappa bottle, they'd made friends again...

Another supervisor on that station was an out-of-control diabetic. He'd sit at his desk and check his blood sugar every 30min. If it was bad he'd have a hit of insulin. If it was OK he'd run outside to his car and have a hit of rum from the glove box. 30min later it'd start again.

A mining company pilot in the same region was once offered a can of Emu Export by the general manager. Somebody intervened and said "He can't, 8 hours between the bottle and throttle, right?'

"Nah," said the pilot. "That's smoking; No drinking during take-off or landing." Then drank it
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 20:56

Some good stories lads. A young instructor on his first charter at a remote NSW airfield. Doing a mail run involving many stops. The a/c was loaded the night before and the boys would adjourn to the local aero club (Fri night). Many fine fluids tested. The next morning at sign on, no sign of bloggs. Didn't answer phone so "F... him" was the response from the boss. New pilot pitched up walked over to a/c to do walk around and found bloggs asleep in the back seats. He was rudely awaken from his slumber and as he walked toward the hangar the boss presented in front of him with a 4 gallon bucket of water and let him have it. This was a good thing as he had actually p!ssed himself during the night.

Lost his job, black eye and got a puncture going home. Not a bad effort over a 24 hour period!
Old 2nd Oct 2003, 22:36

I can't imagine that he left an altogether pleasant odour through the cabin of his sleeping burrow...

Old 3rd Oct 2003, 15:40

PPRuNeaholic

Talking

wiz is just jealous because he knows that I never touch the bottles marked "JD"...
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 16:17
A river to my people

Jerricho,

If you are referring to the same ex Mt Isa ATC that I am thinking of, you will be pleased to know that he is a very respectable member of the community these days. He has moved on from those dark days and indeed takes himself very seriously indeed.

A devoted husband and father, a family man. A pillar of rectitude, many would say. Undoubtedly serving as a role model to guide those who might otherwise slip from the path of righteousness.

But then again, aren't we all?

sep
Old 3rd Oct 2003, 18:01
Ohcirrej

A pillar of rectitude, many would say. Undoubtedly serving as a role model to guide those who might otherwise slip from the path of righteousness.
Hmmmmmm.....maybe we are talking about the same person. He was there late 70's/early 80's. Used to drive a white Ford something or other affectionately known as the Niky Fod (the r had fallen off).

Last edited by Jerricho; 3rd Oct 2003 at 18:23.
Old 4th Oct 2003, 21:11
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel

In this instance it's okay okay to name names, as the named is now deceased - albeit probably 15 years ago, and sadly, prematurely.

A more thorough gentleman, and skillful, smooth operator one could never have had the pleasure of knowing, than to have met Bob Kensett, an Ansett DC9 Training Captain.
Bob stood at around 6 feet+ tall, slim, bearded, with a deep, quiet baritone voice...and usually with a pipe (unlit) held at "the ready".

Bob was the sort of guy who would go to the bar, order drinks all round (beers) and quietly knock an extra one back to allow everyone else to catch up. Not that it was ever a race - because Bob spoke slowly and deliberately enough, so that one never had to ask him to repeat himself.
In those days, we used to be blocked (scheduled) to fly with each other for an entire calendar month - good...and bad, in many respects - and so starting off one particular month with Bob, he said to me in his typical Aussie drawl, "Ya know, I've just had the best month of flying that I have ever enjoyed with Ansett. I was training Riddie for the left seat, an' we never had a solid meal ALL bluddy month.".
For me, flying with Bob was one of the best experiences an F/O could be treated to - he was someone whose ability was to be aspired to, and he didn't mind helping you. Like the gentleman he was, Bob NEVER, EVER criticised, no matter HOW badly you fcuked up, but was always available in the bar for an expose - if you wanted it - at the end of every flight.

Last edited by Kaptin M; 4th Oct 2003 at 21:23.