Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Low Level Omani Jags

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Low Level Omani Jags

Search this Thread

Old 10th Feb 2003, 12:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Low Level Omani Jags

OK chaps, I've come across 10 photos of the legendary low level Omani Jaguars. This includes the chap stood next to his trashed car, bleeding nonchanantly from his right ear (very low level!) and the wingtip with the bit of metal pole stuck in it.

I'd love to share these with you but it seems we can't attach photos anymore. Do I have to find a separate site and then make a link to them?

Snapshot, are you out there?
Old 10th Feb 2003, 16:35

D'you think the Omanis have populated every Jag cockpit with chaps that are afraid of heights? I do wonder.
Old 10th Feb 2003, 17:09

No snaps I'm afraid but I remember looking down on a Jag as it went by at Thumrait and I was halfway up a Victors steps (8ft maybe)
Old 10th Feb 2003, 18:44

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Nothing 'legendary' about them - the Toyota 'fastback' actually happened. The metal pole was from the stairs leading to the Range Safety Officer's hut.
Old 10th Feb 2003, 18:45

Sorry to butt in on the Mil forum folks but here is one I found a while ago. The aviationpics.de website is worth a look through if you're bored.

Regards

JT

http://www.aviationpics.de/preview/jag1.jpg
Old 10th Feb 2003, 23:53

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lovechild,

type [+img+] (without the + signs) before the URL of the picture, and then [+/+img+] (again without the + signs) after the URL, and lo....

and (another Stealth undercarriage test?)

Old 11th Feb 2003, 03:18

Excellant! Havn't seen those for a while.......

Does anyone have the one taken from the rear seat of a twin seat jag flying along the road?

Cheers
RP
Old 11th Feb 2003, 11:23

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will never forget nearly having my head taken off by these boys whilst walking near the main gate at LCRA during a visit in the late '80's.
Old 11th Feb 2003, 11:41

Ok Jacko, I'll give it a try

Hurrah!

Standby for some more pics once I get them 'hosted'

Thanks Jacko
Old 11th Feb 2003, 15:10

Cool

Met the guy (RAF) who was most probably flying this Jag in OOTH recently, what a top bloke. Does a good Barbie as well.
Old 11th Feb 2003, 16:22

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
s0d the flying - who the #ell took the photo !!
Old 11th Feb 2003, 18:49

On a more nostalgic note I saw some Thumrait Hunters that had been snapped some while back in similar circumstances. Don't think they have ever made it onto the Net.

Any contributors?
Old 11th Feb 2003, 19:12

The "post-in-wing" pilot was actually a RAF loan service guy on his last trip in Oman - wanted some really, really close-up shots taken from really, really close-up... I believe he is a BA captain now.
Old 12th Feb 2003, 00:18
solotk

I believe he is a BA captain now.
Reynolds, the first name of this Jag Pilot wouldn't be the French word for Christmas would it?

Old 12th Feb 2003, 01:21

I'm afraid not, you'll have to come up with something new...
Old 12th Feb 2003, 12:13

Yes, Him

From the site noted above:
USAF F-4 wiring the Range Safety mates on the road back from Konya range, Turkey. Same circumstances as the Toyota ding I believe.
Old 12th Feb 2003, 12:40
solotk

Hmmmmmmmm

Can't really, without naming him.. Bloody excellent bloke though, and I understand, one of the outstanding Jaguar Pilots of his day

He was the single biggest influence on my wanting to fly Jags in the Air Force..

oooooopps Reynolds...... DOH! - lol

Last edited by solotk; 12th Feb 2003 at 21:25.

Old 11th May 2003, 02:47

Cool Thumrait

Salad: Are you "Tiddles"?
I spent the first week at Thumrait just looking out the window at Jags and Hunters going past at 10'.
The wing cut almost in half by the pipe from the RSO's stairs was still there. I may be wrong but I believe the pilot had a window seat the next day and arrived home to find a job offer from Britannia in the letter box.
One of the Jag photos appeared on the cover of "Flight" causing some comment when people saw how close the shadow was.
Old 11th May 2003, 07:26

Lightbulb Trying to find Neil Mc Gibbon

I have in my posession an old copy of a movie from 1980 titled "Sand Sea and Sky" produced by Neil Mc Gibbon. Its a top production of the Jag days and life at Thummers in the 1980's and includes video of some of the stills that are in this post. I am currently restoring it to digital and DVD and trying to track the gentleman down who was responsible for the initial production. If anyone can help please PM or email I would really appreciate it as I would like to get hold of more original material to produce the best quality.

A Kiwi mate was an Air Traffiker here on loan service in those "barnstorming" days and prior to my pilgrimage to this part of the world he showed me his photo collection of what I can only describe as the most sensational beat ups I had ever seen....thats saying something after having dealt with that Kiwi A4 mob! Included were the shots coming back from the range and the Jags 180 out on the road (in the correct lane I might add!). There were shots from their Land Rover taken in the mirror with the Jag about to overtake.....the Jag modified with indicators to comply with local road traffic laws I would hope???!

The Brit loan service scheme has produced an outstanding and talented bunch of local Omani operators in all aspects from flying to ground ops, full credit to you.

Last edited by Fox3snapshot; 11th May 2003 at 07:40.
Old 11th May 2003, 10:24

Angel Check back in a few days...

I will have some Jag video on-line....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.