Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

A Bit of Nostalgia for you, 240 OCU Wessex and Pumas at work

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

A Bit of Nostalgia for you, 240 OCU Wessex and Pumas at work

Search this Thread

Old 13th May 2008, 11:43

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
A Bit of Nostalgia for you, 240 OCU Wessex and Pumas and Chinooks at work

Have scanned some of my old pics and some taken by a bod called Dave Gaydon, thought you might like a look at the Raf 70's style you know when we still had Aeroplanes

Quality isn't that good but you get the idea, have several more by the way.......... Remember the Puma before it got all the Junk nailed onto it

Last edited by NutLoose; 14th May 2008 at 22:55.
Old 13th May 2008, 21:45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've certainly got XW200 in my log book - but not anywhere near as slick as that! I wonder if I have the Wessex (quite possible!)
Old 13th May 2008, 22:39

nice stuff mate. any more??
Old 13th May 2008, 23:49

Might have......

Old 13th May 2008, 23:54

Oh and here's XW 202

Brand spanking new Chinook anyone? fresh off the boat Tin blades to boot..

Old 14th May 2008, 10:03

Nice photos, amazing to see the machines in their simpler life.
Old 14th May 2008, 10:20

Why has no one locked up that man for standing on top of the lightweight without day glo bib, harness and helmet? I bet he never attended Vertigo Briefing either. And why has someone painted what appears to be.. a yellow line right along the side of it? If you drove it in Peterborough like that, all the taxis and minicabs would take the p#ss out of it, and upset it.

Great fots, I agree. The beauty of purity is that it seldom needs to be more than skin deep. Lovely stuff.
Old 14th May 2008, 10:56
elf

Is that the Loadmaster's bottom hanging out of the port side on the photograph of XW 202?
Old 14th May 2008, 11:24

Lol No, its the ferry tank, fitted instead of the front left pair of seats, it could carry 4 in total if memory serves me correctly......

As for the landrover, it was a cracking piece of kit and I bet you do not have anything similar these days.... it was called a Helistart, it had a built in 24 volt system with a lead stowed in the back that plugged in just above the tail lights on the left side. It allowed you to run and start the Aircraft off the Landrovers systems, the built on platform also had side rails that could fold up and had a large spot light on them for working at night....... Most rovers had a high viz yellow band at the time and I believe it was also NATO funded as it carried that on the bumper......

THE RAF also Trialed some London Cabs at the same time at RAF Upavon for general useage. Despite being painted blue grey with a yellow band on them, a Driver in Uniform and Royal Air Farce down the side, people would still hop into them when it went to pick up people from the local rail station and demand to be taken to xyz.........

Remember Corgi's little metal desktop model of the Chinook supported by a Landrover you can Buy?

Well the RAF trialed that Idea first

Old 14th May 2008, 13:29

Nutloose,
That chinny carrying puma, you didn't take that at Benson? circa 02-03.

I was there when a puma got parked, wheels in the air after a minor prang.

Turned out to be the weight of the loadies butty box, it moved on touchdown and reroled it (pun)
Old 14th May 2008, 14:34

I believe the Puma USL shot under CH47 BR ZA711 was taken in 82 at Odiham. 711 went on to be the first 7 Sqn SF cab later that year and for quite some time. BR had been the Ascension cab during Op Corporate (Falklands War) and had not long returned.
I even believe I might be the P1 in BR - just finished my CH47 "War course" on 240. The Puma had taken some wires near Petersfield if I recall!!
As someone said - dont they all look clean and simple - Oh for the days when their Airships believed that SH never went close to, never mind across the "FEBA" - the FEBA??? - I hear many a recent war veteran cry!!!

Cheers
Old 14th May 2008, 14:46

Here is one of the 240 Chinooks taxying out on route to Turkey for Op Haven.

Old 14th May 2008, 14:47

Roland,

240? God, those were the days when we had an Air Force eh?

Nutloose,

£49.99 and only 2,500 made. I think you'll find.

Old 14th May 2008, 14:57

Ok AL R, as you are enthused here's two more! One on the ramp showing a better view of the OCU and 'Jack stickers. The second one is RAF leading a multinational 4 ship on said det. Spanish, American, Italian forming up.

Oh, we had a hell of an airforce back in '91.
Old 14th May 2008, 15:00

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Some excellent photos, thanks, especially showing 'he who cannot be mentioned' in front of the Chinook.

Tallsar,

ZA 707 (BP) was the Chinook on ASI at the start of Corporate delivered by Atlantic Conveyor, and I thought ZA 714 went there later from Astronomer. ZA 711 was still at Odi in May 82.
Old 14th May 2008, 15:32

I believe the Puma USL shot under CH47 BR ZA711 was taken in 82 at Odiham. 711 went on to be the first 7 Sqn SF cab later that year and for quite some time. BR had been the Ascension cab during Op Corporate (Falklands War) and had not long returned.
I even believe I might be the P1 in BR - just finished my CH47 "War course" on 240. The Puma had taken some wires near Petersfield if I recall!!
As someone said - dont they all look clean and simple - Oh for the days when their Airships believed that SH never went close to, never mind across the "FEBA" - the FEBA??? - I hear many a recent war veteran cry!!!

Cheers

Tallsar that is correct

Thanks everyone for adding more pics

Prior to having a Chinook to carry them home, we towed one bladeless behind a Landrover 30 miles back along the A303 and up the hill back to base... much mirth ensued as we passed the pub

A few more for you

Pre RWR fit
Old 14th May 2008, 17:18

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts
Is that the Loadmaster's bottom hanging out of the port side on the photograph of XW 202?
John Mason?

CG
Old 14th May 2008, 19:20

As the thread has drifted into a Chinook one, and the first Wessex is an 18 sqn aircraft, I thought it appropriate to add this bit of nostalgia never seen in the public domain before. This is some A level flying from all crew members which from somebody who does not do Chinooks is quite something.

Who would want to be under that downwash? But I believe that there are 3 individuals on this Fire Watch tower being assembled in Germany in about '88.

Last edited by Tiger_mate; 14th May 2008 at 22:03.
Old 14th May 2008, 19:29

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Yikes, one of the H&S gurus would have a fit if they saw a slammer refuelling a Chinny dressed like that these days.

No gloves, no goggles, no silly plastic Tron helmet, no hi-viz vest and he is wearing fuel absorbent blue uniform. How did folk survive in those dangerous times eh?
Old 14th May 2008, 19:47

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I flew the Buer Tower lift shown above, circa 1989! About 20 miles north west of Gut on the Teuterburg Ridge. Need to check my logbook but Dougie Vine was one of the crewman and Ian Warburton (RIP) was co-pilot for some of the sections.

The RE and JHSU built and rigged the tower sections and we lifted them into place - the top two were pretty tricky with no references to speak of but a calm Dougie doing the voice marshalling.

Last edited by chinook240; 14th May 2008 at 20:13.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.