PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Bit of Nostalgia for you, 240 OCU Wessex and Pumas at work
Old 14th May 2008, 11:24
NutLoose

Received 2,951 Likes on 1,258 Posts
Lol No, its the ferry tank, fitted instead of the front left pair of seats, it could carry 4 in total if memory serves me correctly......

As for the landrover, it was a cracking piece of kit and I bet you do not have anything similar these days.... it was called a Helistart, it had a built in 24 volt system with a lead stowed in the back that plugged in just above the tail lights on the left side. It allowed you to run and start the Aircraft off the Landrovers systems, the built on platform also had side rails that could fold up and had a large spot light on them for working at night....... Most rovers had a high viz yellow band at the time and I believe it was also NATO funded as it carried that on the bumper......

THE RAF also Trialed some London Cabs at the same time at RAF Upavon for general useage. Despite being painted blue grey with a yellow band on them, a Driver in Uniform and Royal Air Farce down the side, people would still hop into them when it went to pick up people from the local rail station and demand to be taken to xyz.........

Remember Corgi's little metal desktop model of the Chinook supported by a Landrover you can Buy?

Well the RAF trialed that Idea first