Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Study ATPL during PPL completion?

Search this Thread

Old 30th Nov 2007, 12:52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Study ATPL during PPL completion?

Hi all. If you've finished all PPL exams, and are simply working through the rest of the practical flying training, can you start studying ATPL? I know you need to have an issued PPL before getting the theoretical ATPL, but can you start on an ATPL course as long as you have your PPL issued when you're doing exams etc? I will be doing distance learning, (thinking probably through BGS) and i fgure it'd take some of the pressure off a little if i could start studying for the last month or two of my PPL flying. After all, I'm done studying per se.
Opinions and thoughts very welcome on this one.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:22

Oxford wanted photocopies of my license and medical before they sent me the books.
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:29

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Not officially; you need to have an issued PPL before you enrol on a course. However, there's nothing to stop you "acquiring" some manuals (e.g. from a past ATPL student) and getting on with it.

I think it's a good idea since your PPL stuff is still fresh in your mind and you won't get out of the habit of studying.

Cheers

Whirls
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:29

No, you can't start the course unless you actually hold a PPL, I'm afraid. You could, though, go back through your PPL material and make sure you know it really well, that will take you 30% of the way through the ATPL course at least. Also make sure you are dead hot with the whizz wheel and your basic maths is up to scratch.
Old 2nd Dec 2007, 19:31

Get some books and start reading! You can never start too soon!

Tom