Wikiposts
Search
Computer/Internet Issues & Troubleshooting Anyone with questions about the terribly complex world of computers or the internet should try here. NOT FOR REPORTING ISSUES WITH PPRuNe FORUMS! Please use the subforum "PPRuNe Problems or Queries."

Cheapskate network wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 26th Apr 2007, 19:03
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapskate network wiring.

I need to link a router to a socket downstairs by RJ45 cable. My ***** builder was asked to run a double phone line in the wall of an extension but only ran a 6-wire phone wire (to a double socket). He also failed to leave any space in the wall for me to get another cable down (no conduit ).

Can I use the 6-wire phone cable to connect to an RJ45 socket, retaining an extension phone on the remaining wires? As far as I can see I need 4 wires for the RJ45 and 3 for the extension phone, so it looks like no, but will it be possible, and will I suffer on speed as a result?
Old 26th Apr 2007, 19:28

I would suggest using a couple of ethernet over mains adaptors instead, these use the houses wiring circuit to transmit your signals, and they do work quite reliably.

As to using the existing, the network side requires 4 connects, not sure about the pgone line, I thought that needed 4 as well.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 20:18
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Yes - I looked at the 'mains' option in Maplin the other day. Sounds like the only option.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 21:46

Where is the downstairs socket compared to the upstairs one? If it is directly below then you shoud be able to attach a draw wire to the upstairs cable and drag it back down through the wall and then attach another cable to the end of the draw wire and pull both cables back up again.

If you have a brick external wall there is normally a gap between the frame and the brickwork with enough room to get a cable through using a length of builders string and a sinker or another small weight on the end of it. If you can get hold of a length of plastic striping that they use on particle board flooring to join it together that stuff is excellent for getting into tight places. Just drill a small hole in the end of it to attach the cable and drag it through the wall.

If you are thinking of using the existing cable you only need 2 wires for the phone but you will more than likely end up with all sorts of interference using the same cable as the phone line.

Also if you are looking at using the adapters that plug into the power points be careful as from what i hear they have to be both on the same circuit to work.
hope it helps. Allen

Last edited by born2fly_au; 26th Apr 2007 at 21:59.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 22:10
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Allen
He also failed to leave any space in the wall
- no chance of even getting a thin piece of wire down, I'm afraid. Plasterboard more-or-less straight onto existing brick. Only other option is to cut the wall and bury the wire.

I hate the builder.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 22:57

In standard Cat 5 networking, only four wires are actually used (the greens and the oranges) (sounds like an order at The Fat Duck).

So your six conductors will be fine.

BUT you need the crimp tool to do it, and a magnifying glass of a fair size.

I have the tool and a copious quantity of plugs. PM an address and I'll post them to you with instructions.

Experience tells me to avoid new technologies if you can use good old copper.
Old 26th Apr 2007, 23:23

If you specified to the builder it was required and he didn't do it and if you paid extra for it to be done then i would make him come back and do the job as you requested, especially if it was quoted in the price. His stuff up make him fix it, I would.

The only other option is go for a wireless network. Make sure it is 802.11g and set it to WPA or WPA2 if running windows XP and use a very long pass-phrase at least 12 letters or more. Also make sure the hardware is upgradeable by firmware updates. with some hardware i believe you can also reduce signal strength to prevent it going too far a field
Allen
Old 27th Apr 2007, 07:42
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Ah! If only! I have already recovered £9500 of the £10,000 'remedial' costs from that builder (had to get QUITE heavy to get that much ) so I've had it there.

Re wifi - it is a wireless router, but a previous thread shows I lose significant speed via wifi so I am RJ45'ing to the desktop. Hence the desire to run the new cable.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 08:03

Instead of going down the wall from above, can you go up the wall from below?
Old 27th Apr 2007, 08:31

Wireless router with en route booster box should fix your woes. Pick one up in pc land for buttons.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 09:13
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Thanks guys, but answers are no - solid floor and problem is not signal strength. Previous problem here
Old 27th Apr 2007, 11:18

Final option.
Can you run the cable through the wall with the electrical cable. Are they run in conduit? The regulations are a lot different in the UK compared to australia and i can only base my ideas on our regs. I also have similar problems getting wires where i need them too. I had to go for the wireless option.
Allen
Old 27th Apr 2007, 12:15
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you run some ethernet cable to a wifi access point elsewhere in the house, that gives a better signal to the downstairs PC?
Old 27th Apr 2007, 12:15

I feel a tad ignored... Just use pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 with four of the six conductors you already have in the walls. Am very happy to lend you the special crimp tool.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 12:49
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

boguing - not ignored and thanks! I was, however, under the impression that I would have 'noise' problems if I used the same wire. Are you reckoning it will be ok? I have sourced the modular bits for a double BT/RJ45 socket which I am HOPING will be a screw connect or I might take you up on the crimping offer
Old 27th Apr 2007, 13:25

Cat 5 cable has four pairs of conductors, each pair being twisted at different rates to minimise noise. So, yes, there is a risk of noise.

However, I have used BT wires (when I was out of Cat 5 cable) in my own house without any noticeable problem.

More than worth a try.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 15:21
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Probably going to try the 'boguing' line as I really need a 'wired'link to the router for my desktop due to speed issues. I have located a 'modular' RJ45 socket which has 'IDC' connectors. Wiil a RJ45 crimper handle these?
Old 27th Apr 2007, 16:52

Nope. This is for the plugs - thought you'd just put a plug on each end of the built-in and much damned BT wire. Then just plug into router and pc. If the ends are coming out of pattresses in the plaster, you can tidy up with one of those plates with a single hole in them.
Old 27th Apr 2007, 21:53

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

I'd go with boguing's fix - but I'd have a look at sneaky possibilities to pull a Cat 5 wire first. My youthful amateur radio experience made me a dab hand at running cables where folks least expect it...

A telephone-and-Cat5 pattress plate on the upstairs wall would look quite neat.

The landline telephone will, these days, work happily with just two wires - you need another "master socket" if you want the upstairs one to ring. Just connect the two wires to pins 2 and 5 in the upstairs and downstairs phone sockets.
Old 28th Apr 2007, 06:57
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Thanks Keef - I will be when the time allows. I have explored ever which way to get a new wire down, including poking a hole through the ceiling in the wrong place which I now have to patch . One more remote possibility left to try but I do not hold out any hope. Teaches me to stand over a builder while he does the work 'to spec' instead of going off to work.

Thanks for the tip on 'ring'. The modular stuff has a master/extension module option. If you need a web link to the stuff PM me, but Maplin have a limited range you can look at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.