Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Rotorheads
Reload this Page >

CAA training + FAA question

Wikiposts
Search
Rotorheads A haven for helicopter professionals to discuss the things that affect them

CAA training + FAA question

Search this Thread

Old 29th Sep 2006, 21:06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile CAA training + FAA question

Can anyone recommend a good Helicopter flight school to obtain my JAA CPL and Instructor rating, either UK or abroad?
Also are there any flight schools in the UK where I can receive a Biannual flight review to revalidate my FAA Licences?

Thanks,
DF.
Old 30th Sep 2006, 05:52
puntosaurus

Depends where you want to end up working really, but in my neck of the woods (London & the South East) the names that come up often are London Helicopters at Redhill, Fast at Shoreham, Heli-Air at Wycombe and Wellesbourne, and Helicopter Services at Wycombe. There is a full list of UK schools on the CAA website here.

Can't help with the BFR I'm afraid.

Old 30th Sep 2006, 17:59

sent details of bfr to you by PM check your pm inbox
Old 1st Oct 2006, 15:32

Dan fily
Many people consider careful choice of instructor is much more important than choice of school.

For professional qualifications, the UK Instructors who have been most consistently highly recommended in this forum over the past 5 years or so are:
CPL(H) courses
Mike Green (Helicopter Services, Wycombe)
Leon Smith (same school)
(Apparently there are two Mike Greens. This one used to be at Fast Helicopters but has moved and now works with Leon Smith.)
FI(H) courses
Mike Green
Leon Smith
Mike Smith (HeliAir, Wellesbourne)
Heliport
Old 8th Oct 2006, 11:35

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, would be looking to complete the BFR in an R22. Not quite at the Squirrel or Gazelle level yet, but will check with your man to clarify.
I have heard of Mike Green and will contact him regarding JAA training.
Cheers,
Dan Fily.
Old 8th Oct 2006, 13:54

If you're R22 rated, Helicopter services are excellent for their CPL and FI - I did my FI with Mike up there and he exemplified professionalism, by the book teaching.

If you're 300 oriented, you could try BHH down in Kent for the Commercial. No FI courses there yet though, so if you're wanting to keep up continuity, might be worth talking to Mike first anyhow.