Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Cabin Crew
Reload this Page >

Nae photography oot the windae on BA?

Wikiposts
Search
Cabin Crew Where professional flight attendants discuss matters that affect our jobs & lives.

Search this Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2006, 07:44
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quicky for the BA CC here -

Over on the SLF forum, I've posted a report from a blog where a pax claims he was prevented taking a photograph out of the window on a BA flight. On asking why, he says he was told that such things are now verboten on all BA flights - not just by area.

Nobody in the numbered seats knows of any such rule. Was our snap-happy blogger misinformed, or should we all now keep our Instamatics safely stowed for the duration?

(Compulsory rant about stoopid security rules, Google Maps, the unbearable business of modern travel and why-oh-why-oh-why: not pictured)

R
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 08:13

SLF Its rubbish. Not true at all. I'm CC for BA and can confirm its not the case.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 08:15

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Self Loading Freight
Just a quicky for the BA CC here -
Over on the SLF forum, I've posted a report from a blog where a pax claims he was prevented taking a photograph out of the window on a BA flight. On asking why, he says he was told that such things are now verboten on all BA flights - not just by area.
Nobody in the numbered seats knows of any such rule. Was our snap-happy blogger misinformed, or should we all now keep our Instamatics safely stowed for the duration?
(Compulsory rant about stoopid security rules, Google Maps, the unbearable business of modern travel and why-oh-why-oh-why: not pictured)
R
That is incorrect. We had a new red notice issued just a few months ago regarding this. Nothing new has come since the new security level. It is not forbidden to take pictures on board BA flights provided that:

a) The seat belt sign has been estinguished after take off. This is a delicate phase of flight and all electronic/digital/you name it devices must be switched off. This applies also when the seat belt sign is turned on before landing: no electronic devices, etc. permitted. Again, very delicate phase of flight.

b) it is amatorial and not professional (for example TV crew) unless previously authorised by the company/captain. However even in these circumstances the above a) rule applies. If at anytime CC are in doubt that any of these things are happening they have the right to request the person to stop filming/taking pictures.

c) it is not disturbing the CC and their job, be it safety or service related. I once was on a flight where a group of boys and girls kept taking pics of us in the cabin but they were making one of my colleagues very embarassed and were making the service difficult. In this case also we can ask for the photography to stop or to be directed towards the beautiful Alps instead!!

Happy flying.....

FBW
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 08:23

FBW - There is no mention of taking a photograph out of the window in red notices other than the times you are not allowed to have electronic/digital items on.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 08:46

Originally Posted by OzzieO
FBW - There is no mention of taking a photograph out of the window in red notices other than the times you are not allowed to have electronic/digital items on.
Yes I know. I was just reporting what the airline procedure is regarding taking pictures/filming in general.

I believe that if the story is true that crew member was being over-zealous, stating something that is actually not correct.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 08:57

FX Guru

And yet there was that Sky News report a few days back about security that videoed (from within the cabin) the rotation on a flight out of LHR.

The video looked as if it was taken on the sly, but I suppose they may have got permission.

If they were given permission, then why is it okay for them to film and not pax? If they weren't, were they seriously endangering the lives of all onboard?

And re still photography, the wonderful skybleu often enhances these pages with her superb pix. If its okay for CC, it must be okay for pax! As the above posts say, the blogger must be talking complete cobblers.
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 09:55

Dir. PPRuNe Line Service

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cabin crew do sometimes get over-zealous... I have also been stopped from taking photographs on a BA flight. We were just south of Greenland, the seatbelt signs were off and the view was beautiful.

When I asked "why?" I was told "It's the law". Total crap of course....

On another (later) flight, the BA crew were happy for me to take photographs of London so long as I put my camera away as soon as the "cabin crew be seated for landing" announcement was made. http://www.vampireparrot.com/gallery/LondonFromTheAir
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 10:01

Originally Posted by PPRuNe Dispatcher
Cabin crew do sometimes get over-zealous... I have also been stopped from taking photographs on a BA flight. We were just south of Greenland, the seatbelt signs were off and the view was beautiful.
When I asked "why?" I was told "It's the law". Total crap of course....
There used to be a rule years and years ago, but since I have been working for BA pax have been free to take pictures provided they respect the rules I wrote above. So it must have been a misunderstanding or those crew were not up to date.

Thank you though for complying and not making a fuss about it - I know they were wrong but it is always best not to make a public scene! If it happened again I'd suggest you talked to the senior crew privately
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 10:53

There are some countries that don't allow photography over their air space. As one who loves taking pictures from the flight deck I know that Russia and Belgium don't permit this. I can't imagine how it's enforced but a quick google search uncovered this:

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en

Yeah it's old I know, but I suppose this could be the reason that some crew have prevented others from taking photos?
Old 29th Aug 2006, 23:07

May I add a comment here?

Although photography is allowed onboard BA aircraft, please be considerate of others. I get countless complaints from other passengers who are sensitive to having their photograph taken by strangers. Also, I know crew do not like to be photographed/filmed without permission and they are well within their rights to approach someone who is taking footage of them and ask them to delete the pictures or film!

Just be careful and considerate of others keeping in mind that aircraft are small confined spaced.
However a photo out the window should not be an issue!!!