Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Terms and Endearment
Reload this Page >

Whats the score with a 'dual base'? Jet2.com.

Wikiposts
Search
Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Search this Thread

Old 29th Jan 2006, 18:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine has been offered a job with Jet2.com but it is dual based with both Blackpool and Manchester.
Can this be done in the CAA's eyes - I hear that another company tried to do it with Glasgow and Edinburgh and the CAA put a stop to it.
Old 29th Jan 2006, 18:57

Most Airlines that operate a dual base policy (the CAA are happy with dual basings providing the criteria is met) offer dual bases to "volunteers".
Clearly your friend is being "volunteered" on the back end of a job offer. If he lives in Leeds (1 hr 30hrs away from MAN) but a lot longer to BLK then this is where the problem starts. Unfortunately the onus is then on him to find local accommodation to BLK.
If he was already working for Jet 2 then he may have a leg to stand on.
Thomsonfly have dual based crews between MAN + LPL but they mostly live around LPL I think.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 09:12

Is your friend a new FO or captain and on what fleet? Just wondered if there only pushing this on Fo's rather than captains.

S.C.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 15:30
Master Baiter

Are Manchester and Blackpool that far apart? Other airlines bus people about.
Is this the same sort of thing?
Old 30th Jan 2006, 17:47

My mate is an F.O. so I don't know if it's captains too but I can't imagine that it'll just be F.O.'s.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 18:08

Do Jet2 "dual base" LBA / MAN pilots as well?

If you lived somewhere between the two, that wouldn't be at all unfeasable.
Old 30th Jan 2006, 18:55

Nearly Man
Not really because if your dual based you;
Drive to each base at nil cost to the Airline
Report at STD - minus the reporting time whereas if you "bussed" you would reprt earlier, or worst case night stop
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 10:17

I'm guessing it's 737's out of Blackpool?

I also heard something about dual basing but thought it was 20%/80% so you get a main base and just do the odd flight out of a second base.

Anyone know if Jet2 are basing crew out of Blackpool full time?
Old 3rd Feb 2006, 15:29

Virgin tried this on with LHR and LGW until the CAA put a stop to it. They had to nominate one airport as the main base, chose LHR and all rosters have to reflect the report base. If pilots are operating a flight out of LGW their flight duty report time is at LHR and includes transport to LGW of 1 hour. Not such a big deal for most long haul flights except those two crew operations to Florida which use the Florida 2 agreement.

Pilots don't have to actually report at LHR if they are operating out of LGW but their flight duty period starts at the scheduled report time at LHR. Eg. LGW-BGI, STD 1000Z. Crew brief at LGW = STD -1:30 at 0830Z. Rostered flight duty report time 0730Z at LHR. Someone living closer to LGW just has to make sure that they report at LGW for the crew brief at 0830Z but their flight duty started at 0730Z.

Be interesting to see how long Jet2 are allowed to get away with that one. Anyone know who their CAA Flight Operations Inspector is?
Old 3rd Feb 2006, 22:13

Interesting that the RAC driving time between LGW and LHR is 43mins and the times betwen MAN and BPL are 1hr 1min. If this is one of the requirements of the CAA then the MAN/BPL system will soon be knocked on the head by the CAA. Does anyone know of what the other requirements are?
Old 4th Feb 2006, 12:59

Don't BA have dual based,LGW and LHR ,777 pilots too? there might be different rules for LH operations..
Old 4th Feb 2006, 13:05

Don't BA have dual based,LGW and LHR ,777 pilots too? there might be different rules for LH operations..
Yes they do. Flight duty starts at report at wherever you are...

Not sure of the truth behind the Virgin comment above - is this not because they provide free transport between LHR & LGW, but parking at just one base ? Not sure....

BA provide parking at LHR & LGW.