Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Ryanair Pay for New Joiners...

Wikiposts
Search
Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Search this Thread

Old 18th Dec 2004, 14:48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought you might be interested in this post by Wonder Boy, copied from the Terms and Endearments forum:

I am a First Officer in Ryanair and here is exactly how I am being payed in the first 12 months:

Type rating (4-6 WEEKS):

No pay

You then wait 2-4 weeks for base training without pay. After base training you are on the training contract basic rate for 6 months. This is an annual rate of 8700 pounds. However, you do not start getting payed this until after line training. Line training takes 2-3 months so you are therefore only payed on this rate for 3-4 months. Sounds complicated? It is purposely so.Not only that, but the company reduces this initial rate by 1000 pounds every year or so without notice. Next year you might therefore expect the rate to be 7700 pounds.

So, from the start of type rating until conclusion of line training you will only have earned about 750 pounds (half sector pay after safety pilot release and no basic salary yet).

About 3.5 months now remain until you finish your training contract. On the annual rate of 8700 (remember this will reduce eventually) you will earn 2530 basic in this time. Also, you will earn 2800 sector pay.

To sum up so far:

Day 1 to completion of line check ( 4 months) = 750 pounds

Line check to end of training contract (3.5 months) = 5330 pounds

Total after 7.5 months with the company = 6080 pounds.

It will now have been 6 months since base check. You will now go on the basic second officer terms. This amounts to a basic annual rate of 14000 pounds and half sector pay for a further 6 months.

In these 6 months you will therefore earn 7000 pounds basic and about 4800 pounds sector pay. This basic rate is also being reduced annually without notice.

Ok, here are the final figures (before tax) for the first 12 months after the base check:

Basic pay: 9530 pounds

Sector pay: 8350 pounds

Total: 17880 Pounds.

You can expect to remain on second officer pay scale for 18 months after line check. This will probably increase to a greater time period as time goes by.
That's going to make it easy to pay back your £40,000 debt, isn't it!? I should steer clear of this company if I were you - you could earn more as a labourer at B&Q.

Scroggs
Old 18th Dec 2004, 15:03

PPRuNe Co-Pilot

This is the end surely, i mean for god sake how much more worse can it get

Old 18th Dec 2004, 22:35

Hi,
This is a joke! Really! They totally take the p...!
Unfortunately, it will go on as more and more people are ready to put themselves through that c##p to get ahead of the game! Very sad!

FNav
Old 18th Dec 2004, 22:49

It'll be 1 airline I wont be applying too after gaining the fATPL.
Old 18th Dec 2004, 23:25

The problem that there will always be people out there with 'mug' written on their forehead who will happily join this flying circus. I would urge anyone thinking of joining Ryanair to say no and wait for a far better opportunity to come around. The job market is picking up and why should you settle for a tin pot rocket outfit when you have invested so much in your training? As a prop F/O I am horrified to see that I earn about 4 grand more then someone who sits in a 737 and has paid for their rating!
Old 19th Dec 2004, 00:00

Makes an FI(r) salary look attractive - cos of course to get the job you have to pay for the type rating
Old 19th Dec 2004, 08:22

This will always happen whilst people are desperate to fly. Long term it still works out, however MOL et al know this and will continue to screw over anyone who is desperate enough to bend over and take it. I don't agree with him but it makes commercial sense. Let's hope that one day something bad doesn't happen to cause an investigation into crews. Heaven knows what it will uncover.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 09:12

Mr G

They have to pay you all that extra to compensate for living in Humberside.

When you back in NCL?

Merry Xmas mate.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 09:38

Supercharged PPRuNer

Jesus Scroggs I knew it was bad, but I didn’t realise it was that bad. Hopefully it’s a bit academic for me, as I will never ever apply to an employer that charges me £50 to read my CV, but if O’Leary is setting the tone for everyone else . . .

Just a thought, but if you’re on a Ryanair training contract (i.e. starvation-wage basic pay and sector pay making up the difference) and you get a really nasty cold – you know, the sort where you’re not really fit to fly, but it’s a judgement call and you could probably get away with it – are you going to phone in sick or turn up and get paid? Answers on a postcard to the CAA.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 15:05

I wouldn't even fly Ryanair anymore. I would rather fly BA or BMI, and nine times out of ten its even cheaper to do it this way, and you don't have another hour and £20 on a bus or a train after you landed.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 15:36

This is typical BS.

"I wouldn't even fly Ryanair anymore. I would rather fly BA or BMI, and nine times out of ten its even cheaper to do it this way, and you don't have another hour and £20 on a bus or a train after you landed."

And the topic is:

MK
Old 19th Dec 2004, 17:10

MK

The emphasis on my mail is the words "wouldn't even".

If I "wouldn't even" use them as a customer, I am sure as hell "wouldn't" apply for a job with them!
Old 19th Dec 2004, 17:33

Ok so maybe it is 'bad' in comparison, but the grass is always greener on the other side.

Why not moan about emerald's pathetic salary, or that of a flying instructor?

You have to start somewhere, and to me, it's an oppurtunity with what I'm told by friends within the company is generally well run and has a good training record. Getting paid, however much or little, to fly a jet is far far better than paying to fly a prop on a 'b&q' salary.

Maybe it's something to do with my age, but I'll be applying and i'll take every possible oppurtunity that comes along. I agree with you that it is not ideal but like I say, there's always something better, no matter where you go.

Cheers
obk
Old 19th Dec 2004, 18:53

You'll all still be moaning like this in a years time, when anyone who gets a job with FR will have 900 737 hours and can stay if they like it or go elsewhere.
Have any of you even got a job?, one of you hasn't even got a fATPL yet.
Don't be fussy guys, the clock waits for no-one......!
Old 19th Dec 2004, 19:12
Maxiumus

but the grass is always greener on the other side.
It most certainly is for the low-timer, which is why they shouldn't touch ryanair with a bargepole.

Scroggs,
clearly anyone with half a brain would take your advice and steer clear. Regrettably the comments by CIPO and OBK show why this bull$hit will only continue. Time for Europe-wide union with all pilots as members. Ah if only...

Old 19th Dec 2004, 21:24

obk , my poor boy , your friends have misinformed you ,
the company may show large profits , but this does not imply that it is well run , it isnt and at the moment it is in crisis , all the cost saving ideas are grinding this company down from the inside out , it is self destructing .
read the papers or even do a search for irish goverment debates on the state of ryanair ...its so rotten even the goverement is debating it ....
as for training there are some fantastic line training captains ,notice i said "some" but training in general is CRAP...you are thrown in at the deep end and expected not just to swim but to win the olympic gold ,
try learning to fly a 737 doing 6 sector days when some sectors can be done in less then 20 mins ( as a newbie your brain will still be back at base)
training in ryanair is in complete disarray , whether you are scheduled for base/line training can be complete luck .
and thats all organised by a rather nasty little gnome in eastmids who dosnt give a damn about you and if he can go out of his way to screw you he will (its not really his fault , its the company culture , its what hes been thought to do )

if you want good training i believe easy are supposed to be good
(maybe some one could clarify ? )
in any case thats where my CV's going if ryanair dosnt shape up in the next while

just my 2 cents worth
Old 20th Dec 2004, 13:51

Lets compair salaries

Anyone out there who is flying with Aer Arann care to give us their story after twelve months on the ATR?????? Are the conditions better, worse, similar OR are Ryanair in a league of their own.
Old 20th Dec 2004, 13:55
Master Baiter

You could get the rating and go on the game like some of the cabin crew have .. that'd help wouldn't it?
Old 20th Dec 2004, 13:57

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

So you going to put on a short skirt and get down Kings Cross NM??
Old 20th Dec 2004, 14:08

Airway asked earlier if it can get much worse.

It can.

You could spend not only money ona type rating but also pay to fly fare paying passengers around for Astreaus.

You can buy 500 hours of "line training" from them. this equates to a pilot not being employed by an airline for a year. What fantastic deal that is.

Ailines such as Astreaus and Ryanair and the awful pay that self funding first officers get on the Air Asia contracts are going to damage the emplyment conditions for pilots throughout Europe.

Please, if anyone is reading this and is considering buying a type rating or line tme, think of the future - your future and what is happening to this industry. there are people out there making big bucks from wannabes so they can fund their retirement. They do not even consider you when they sell you a type rating they are more focussing on the beach bar in the carribean for themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.