Wikiposts
Search
Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 21st Aug 2007, 00:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is It Really Worth It?

Hey guys,

Just left school and i'm seriously considering doing my PPL and ATPL etc. My parents are willing to help me out but i'd prefer to pay as much as possible as I can, rather than my parents helping me.

Now I like flying, kind of, but I get abit nervous in rough turbulence, is this something you'll get over once you're in control of the aircraft? I've never had trial lessons before so I plan on getting a course at Liverpool which is 5hrs, if you enjoy it you can then start you're PPL with the 5hrs already logged.

My question is, is it really worth doing it? In the first few years of liking Aviation I never wanted to be a pilot for the simple reason I didn't believe I was cleaver anoth nore did I have an faith in myself. Now I really want to do it, more than anything. I don't want to do it for the money, I want to do it because I love travelling and aircraft.

So with all the competition with low-co's and charters these days what are the chances of getting a job once you've past everything? And when taking you're PPL/ATPL what are the chances of passing?

I know this has probably been discussed before so please forgive if it has The search doesn't seem to be working very well for me.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 21st Aug 2007, 00:41

Took me a coupe of days to read through THIS but proved very useful.

And THIS thread is a new thread about the costs of flying and where to get the £50k+ needed.

THIS is a thread started by an airline pilot about how he feels about his job/lifestyle.

A lot of reading but if might make you think twice before jumping in the deep end.

Happy reading
Old 21st Aug 2007, 01:41

Thanks alot! I'll start reading through them now, not much else you can do at 0240am when you're sick Thanks again!
Old 28th Aug 2007, 06:18

Turb

Hey mate,
I know exactly what you mean and I can say its normal and will pass. I'm new to the game and sitting on 200 hours with a commerical around the corner but when I first was training I felt every bump but then it sort of became natural. I guess it becomes like when your driving your car. Im pretty sure most of us realise we are going over bumps in the road etc but we dont think about it. Prob makes no sense lol but I hope it does. Flying will become second nature...
The way I'm doing it is with a student loan. If your happy to take a slower pace well maybe a local aeroclub and self fund will be an idea. The flying school I am currently at have quite a high turn over of instructors as airliners and charters know the school has people in line waiting for their 'break'. Now not all schools are like this tho... The learning is quite easy only if you enjoy it. Like I love planes and tell me a fact about them and I'll remember it nice and easy. Tell me how to do trig and I'm lost lol. The hardest part is that break from licenced with no job to licenced with job... happy times and happy flying
Old 28th Aug 2007, 07:20

cloudhigh,

Thanks for you're post. I've decided to go for it and will sit down sometime this week with my Mum to discuss what I want to do. At the moment it's looking more likely that I will do my PPL in the States, unless I can find a good flying school here in the North West.

Still looking for a job but my Mum is willing to help me out, of course I will pay here back in full when/if I become a pilot!

I'm quite shy but after thinking about wanting to be a pilot over the past few months that seems to have gone away, and now im up for anything

Fingers Crossed!

Cheers,
Sam
Old 28th Aug 2007, 16:24
justjoshing

I was like you a coupple of months ago, i could not wait to leave school and start doing a PPL and talking things over with my parents about options and different options of traning, i just wanted to start right away.
With the help of people on this site i decided to stay on at school and have a back up plan ready.Its a good idea to have one and get top grades in math and what not.

I have been in a plane loads of times and when it comes to bad weather i just think, if i die at least it would be doing something i love so i hardly ever get scared, and cmon would you rather die in a car crash or a plane crash.

Regards and happy flying
Josh.

Old 28th Aug 2007, 16:57

I have been in a plane loads of times and when it comes to bad weather i just think, if i die at least it would be doing something i love so i hardly ever get scared, and cmon would you rather die in a car crash or a plane crash.
Neither thanks - I'd rather apply risk management !
Old 28th Aug 2007, 17:59

Assertiveness is a key personal attribute that you will require: I would focus initially on ensuring that you are able to develop this side of yourself and ensure that you are able to be assertive in all conditions - I would suggest that you might be able to find this either in some kind of sports team, venture pursuits such as sailing, climbing etc, or even perhaps in the TA if this interests you.

Don't spend any cash until you have had a trial lesson or two - your desire to fly must transalate both into an ability and you being comfortable in the aircraft!

Turbulence in the back of an aircraft can always seem unnerving - I would disregard this until you experience it in a light aircraft when in control.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 19:15

go for it mate, and if you feel bad about taking your mums money ill take it all .
Old 28th Aug 2007, 20:32

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts
Got over 6,000 hours. Chucked up a few times learning to fly. Can't stand being a pax in little aeroplanes as I feel woozy. Never feel crook when at the controls now.

It's normal and Chuck Yeager suffered from air sickness too.
Old 28th Aug 2007, 21:22

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been in a Cessna 172 before, but that was on a good day flying over Snowden on a pleasure flight - I liked it although you can really feel the slightest of bumps Like Cloudhigh says, i'll probably get over the turbulence. After all, when I was much younger I used to hate flying, but now all that's changed and I want to do it as a hobby and living.

If it doesn't work out, the company that my Dad works are willing to offer me an apprentice and then a job, so I do kind of have something to fall back on, but i'd prefer flying.

I know theres a few people that think im being unrealistic, and maybe in some cases I am. But im so determind to do it i'll do anything to get it done.

I ordered a book by Jeremy M. Pratt. Not sure what it's like but hopefully may be useful.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 28th Aug 2007, 21:47

The books by jeremey pratt are top notch pal, and if i remember right in the 1st book (PPL1) it does mention about your body adjusting to the flying exercises and if you do feel sick the feeling eventually goes, which is true so dont panic
Old 29th Aug 2007, 00:30

Are you not intending continuing studies? Are you sure that you are sufficiently proficient in maths and physics to cope with ATPLs? If not, consider at least enrolling in college for AS and A2 Levels, particularly as it allows you to earn higher salaries while saving for the huge sums involved...
Old 29th Aug 2007, 01:17

Hi Re-heat,

Yeah I plan on doing my PPL then while saving for the rest I will go to College to do Maths and Physics.

Is their any online tests that people can look at to get an idea of the exams in the PPL/IR/CPL/ATPL courses etc?

Cheers,
Sam
Old 29th Aug 2007, 01:30

consider at least enrolling in college for AS and A2 Levels, particularly as it allows you to earn higher salaries while saving for the huge sums involved...
Absolute rubbish... There is very little difference unless you have a degree... Become a taxi driver.. they earn 30/40k upwards and dont pay tax! Best way if you'd ask me.
Old 29th Aug 2007, 01:46

Even though I know you don't need to have A-Levels etc i'd rather go to College and study Maths and Physics so I have more of a chance at passing. It's alot of money for you to go into it un-prepared.

Any one have any opinions on Flyaaa in California?
Old 29th Aug 2007, 11:25

This is a good idea and have tought about doing it myself. I didn't finish my A'level in Physics (I didn't get to finish the AS to be honest). But If I go to a local college and get it fresh in my mind again By the time I have the full A'level in Physics (2 years) I should have the funding for my 0-fATPL too

Not sure if you'd get a higher paid job at the end of it. I've met up with people who were straight-A students throught school at GCSE and A'level and earn less than me (I wasn't a stright-A student).

Good luck!
Old 29th Aug 2007, 11:41

Is it really worth it ? From a standard / quality of living , worry and economic point of view ,,, everything realistically seems to be a resounding no. Many professions earn in a month what the average pilot earns in a year . Im sure the novelty of flying a 737 wears off in a short period of time and the reality of debt , fickle management , mergers , downsizing , closure , bottom of seniority list , newbies willing to work for nothing sets in. Perhaps there is only a fraction of the piloting community represented here but the most vocal threads seem to be about people trying to get a job , or talking about / defending diminishing terms and conditions.

Im not knocking pilots for doing it , being a PPL I understand but i enjoy the flying without having to live of it . For years i was convinced being a commercial pilot was something i had to do , and blinded myself to what people in the profession were saying. I decided to do the PPL and then see what happens and all that has in reality is that what so many people here and in the flight school have said has finally sunk in. If you are ( worst case ) happy to lose everything you invest , and ( best case )take years to earn back ( in profit ) what you put in then go for it .

About the air sickness , there was a guy on my ppl course who was sick on his first flight but went on to be a great pilot . I felt sick sitting in the back especially during certain exercises so i dont think thats one of the things you should be put off by.
Old 29th Aug 2007, 12:16

Cheers guys. I take quite a few pictures of aircraft so I go to the airport quite often. I haven't been for a while but i've been thinking, why do I bother getting up at 6am to take pictures of Aeroplanes? If im going to get up at that time I might aswell be flying somewhere or doing something! - Hopefully it all pays off