PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Really Worth It?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 11:41
thirtysomething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it really worth it ? From a standard / quality of living , worry and economic point of view ,,, everything realistically seems to be a resounding no. Many professions earn in a month what the average pilot earns in a year . Im sure the novelty of flying a 737 wears off in a short period of time and the reality of debt , fickle management , mergers , downsizing , closure , bottom of seniority list , newbies willing to work for nothing sets in. Perhaps there is only a fraction of the piloting community represented here but the most vocal threads seem to be about people trying to get a job , or talking about / defending diminishing terms and conditions.

Im not knocking pilots for doing it , being a PPL I understand but i enjoy the flying without having to live of it . For years i was convinced being a commercial pilot was something i had to do , and blinded myself to what people in the profession were saying. I decided to do the PPL and then see what happens and all that has in reality is that what so many people here and in the flight school have said has finally sunk in. If you are ( worst case ) happy to lose everything you invest , and ( best case )take years to earn back ( in profit ) what you put in then go for it .

About the air sickness , there was a guy on my ppl course who was sick on his first flight but went on to be a great pilot . I felt sick sitting in the back especially during certain exercises so i dont think thats one of the things you should be put off by.