Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

New Threat Level

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

New Threat Level

Search this Thread

Old 27th Apr 2006, 15:48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Threat Level

In case you haven't seen this, in these days of dire government dilemmas', hopefully the following will raise a smile:

The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "shout loudly and excitedly" to "elaborate military posturing". Two more levels remain, "ineffective combat operations" and "change sides".

The Germans also increased their alert state from "disdainful arrogance" to "dress in uniform and sing marching songs". They also have two higher levels: "invade a neighbour" and "lose".

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual and the only threat they worry about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.
Old 27th Apr 2006, 15:54

Old 27th Apr 2006, 17:56
MountainMet

Brings to mind that wonderful phrase from Groundskeeper Willie, while teaching a French class
"Bonjourrrrrrrrr, you cheese eating surrender monkeys!"

Last edited by MountainMet; 27th Apr 2006 at 19:22.

Old 27th Apr 2006, 18:45

Originally Posted by MountainMet
Brings to mind that wonder phrase from Groundskeeper Willie, while teaching a French class
"Bonjourrrrrrrrr, you cheese eating surrender monkeys!"
Somebody has been watching the Simpsons this evening......
Old 27th Apr 2006, 19:24
MountainMet

True, but oddly enough I was reading the same phrase on Wikipedia yesterday.
Aparently it was used in an American newspaper during the whole "Freedom Fries" thing.

Old 28th Apr 2006, 07:26

Reminds me of David Letterman show after the last new years eve:

"In the early hours of New Years day a confused French president surrendered to Germany after watching the fireworks display"
Old 28th Apr 2006, 17:54

And possibly the best quote of the last few years, from a member of the Bush administration (Jed Babbin):

Going to war without the French is like going deer-hunting without an accordion.
And Jay Leno's classic:

Why should we expect the French to help us get Saddam Hussein out of Baghdad, when they didn't even help us get Adolf Hitler out of Paris?
Old 28th Apr 2006, 19:01

All very chauvenistic, but it was the French who covered the evacuation from Dunkirk. It was the French who carried out the assault on Ouistraheim on the extreme left of the Allied assault on D Day. It was the French who defended the "Box" at Bir Hakeim prior to the Allied Offensive in 1942. It was the French under General Leclerc who were the first into Paris.

Let us not forget the 300,000+ FFI who rallied to the Allied cause, nor the price that their countrymen paid in places such as Ouradour sur Glane.

Yes,their reputation was sullied by the actions of the Vichy administration but, overall, the vast majority of the French population supported the Allied cause and did what they could to support it.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 19:10

TAC Int Bloke

Apart from those that joined the Waffen SS, Luftwaffe, Wehrmacht, Kriegsmarine, Milice or indulged in collaboration of all types including horizontal

Or fought against us in North Africa.......

Thanks for your help guys

Sorry mate, the myth of French resistance is largely* a post-occupation fabrication by the French general with the big hooter

I said largely

"Of all the crosses I have to bear, the heaviest is the Cross of Lorraine. ..." WSC

Last edited by Maple 01; 28th Apr 2006 at 19:32.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 19:17
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was the French under General Leclerc who were the first into Paris.
Perhaps the most stage-managed part of the war. De Gaulle insisted on it, and Le Clerc (real name Philippe, vicomte de Hauteclocque, and the grandfather of a friend of ours) led the French troops past the Americans. They were commanded by Gen. Omar N. Bradley who had stopped to allow them their grand finale. The Americans said that they "honored the French divsion by letting them enter first", but the truth is that it was a direct order from a very high place.

As usual, politics got in the way of soldiering.

Le Clerc died in a plane crash in 1947, and became a French military hero (almost unique), hence there are Avenue etc General Le Clerc in almost every French town and city.

Last edited by airborne_artist; 28th Apr 2006 at 19:31.
Old 28th Apr 2006, 21:20

I thought bunny1's post was superb and I believe that it shows the ability of the British psyche to elevate past military history into a light hearted (albeitperhaps factually incorrect), cliche ridden sense of humour.
Such as,

"The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666."

I don't believe it was meant to stir up debate about the effectiveness of allied fighting forces during WW2, but more to point out the idiosyncrosies (sp), right or wrong, of present and bygone eras .

It also highlights that whilst the British fraternity can poke fun at others, WE ARE EQUALLY CAPABLE of poking fun at ourselves.
This leads me on to a story I heard the other day from a German colleague.

After much banter and pi$$ taking about WW2, my colleague told me about her grandfathers role whilst flying for the Luftwaffe.
Turns out he was quite a decorated pilot and equivalent of what we would now call a QFI. (A genuine account as I have seen the original papers pertaining to him along with very well preserved photographs)

Prior to the war, he trained as an apprentice electrician, but through his fascination of flight went on to attain his Civil pilot licence before being drafted into the Nazi war effort. This was not something he relished and so, the story unfolds.

During the build up to the War, he found a signed photo of a model in a club that he frequented. At the time, it was fashionable in Germany for female models to leave such gizzits around for self promotion. (Think Jo Guest, Nell Mcandrew et al and you'll know where I am coming from).

He fell in love with that image and somehow, got lucky and arranged a date with her.

They married.

But here lies the tragedy. His wife had Jewish parentry.

For the whole time he served the nazi regime, he lived in fear that they would find out his secret and literally, terminate his family.
His memoirs which accompany his photograhs tell a sorry picture of many a German, who did not wish to fight but had to for the sake of safety for their own loved ones.

As a QFI, he didn't see service over the shores of Britain, but must have trained young men who did.
When peace was declared, he went back to work as a sparky because he did not wish to train pilots ever again. He knew that his part in the war was wrong, he had no choice.

He was killed in a car crash in 1949.

His son, my colleagues father, kept these memoirs, papers and photos, because, to him, his dad was a hero.
When his son had grown up and married, he moved to France with his wife and had a family before returning to Germany.
My colleague, is very honest about her family, in particular her grand father.

BUT, she will still engage in pi$$ taking. She will still engage in limit pushing banter.

Because, SHE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

So for those of you who can't see past bunny1's post, lighten up, grab a beer, stoke up yer weber (referring to another thread), chill out and learn to laugh at yourselves.

Then, the world might not seem that bad.

Whilst still preserving the truth, you may enjoy the humour that billions have enjoyed before us.

Talk Wrench
Old 29th Apr 2006, 17:55
brickhistory

TW, well said!

Old 29th Apr 2006, 20:18

Google Search

At one point you were able to type in 'French Military Victories' on google search, press I feel lucky and it would come back with the response ' Did you mean - French Military Defeats' !!

I rest my case..
Old 29th Apr 2006, 22:05

Originally Posted by Roguedent
At one point you were able to type in 'French Military Victories' on google search, press I feel lucky and it would come back with the response ' Did you mean - French Military Defeats' !!

I rest my case..
Somebody doesn't know what is a google bomb...
Old 29th Apr 2006, 23:33

Well I don't really think we should be making jokes about WW2. I had a great-uncle who died in a concentration camp.

He got really drunk one night and fell off his machine gun tower....
Old 30th Apr 2006, 00:00

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Hey! The French didn't run at Dienbienphu! Or as a famous American president would call it, "Din Bin Phoo".

So there.
Old 30th Apr 2006, 00:20
brickhistory

Originally Posted by FakePilot
Hey! The French didn't run at Dienbienphu! Or as a famous American president would call it, "Din Bin Phoo".

So there.

Umm, kind of hard to run when you are surrounded isn't it?!

(Ok, we didn't come out on the correct side of that conflict either, but let's not detract from the humor....)