PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Threat Level
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2006, 21:20
Talk Wrench

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought bunny1's post was superb and I believe that it shows the ability of the British psyche to elevate past military history into a light hearted (albeitperhaps factually incorrect), cliche ridden sense of humour.
Such as,

"The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666."

I don't believe it was meant to stir up debate about the effectiveness of allied fighting forces during WW2, but more to point out the idiosyncrosies (sp), right or wrong, of present and bygone eras .

It also highlights that whilst the British fraternity can poke fun at others, WE ARE EQUALLY CAPABLE of poking fun at ourselves.
This leads me on to a story I heard the other day from a German colleague.

After much banter and pi$$ taking about WW2, my colleague told me about her grandfathers role whilst flying for the Luftwaffe.
Turns out he was quite a decorated pilot and equivalent of what we would now call a QFI. (A genuine account as I have seen the original papers pertaining to him along with very well preserved photographs)

Prior to the war, he trained as an apprentice electrician, but through his fascination of flight went on to attain his Civil pilot licence before being drafted into the Nazi war effort. This was not something he relished and so, the story unfolds.

During the build up to the War, he found a signed photo of a model in a club that he frequented. At the time, it was fashionable in Germany for female models to leave such gizzits around for self promotion. (Think Jo Guest, Nell Mcandrew et al and you'll know where I am coming from).

He fell in love with that image and somehow, got lucky and arranged a date with her.

They married.

But here lies the tragedy. His wife had Jewish parentry.

For the whole time he served the nazi regime, he lived in fear that they would find out his secret and literally, terminate his family.
His memoirs which accompany his photograhs tell a sorry picture of many a German, who did not wish to fight but had to for the sake of safety for their own loved ones.

As a QFI, he didn't see service over the shores of Britain, but must have trained young men who did.
When peace was declared, he went back to work as a sparky because he did not wish to train pilots ever again. He knew that his part in the war was wrong, he had no choice.

He was killed in a car crash in 1949.

His son, my colleagues father, kept these memoirs, papers and photos, because, to him, his dad was a hero.
When his son had grown up and married, he moved to France with his wife and had a family before returning to Germany.
My colleague, is very honest about her family, in particular her grand father.

BUT, she will still engage in pi$$ taking. She will still engage in limit pushing banter.

Because, SHE HAS A SENSE OF HUMOUR.

So for those of you who can't see past bunny1's post, lighten up, grab a beer, stoke up yer weber (referring to another thread), chill out and learn to laugh at yourselves.

Then, the world might not seem that bad.

Whilst still preserving the truth, you may enjoy the humour that billions have enjoyed before us.

Talk Wrench