Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Non-Airline Forums > Private Flying
Reload this Page >

Yak 11 at N Weald

Wikiposts
Search
Private Flying LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA The sheer pleasure of flight.

Yak 11 at N Weald

Search this Thread

Old 5th Dec 2000, 20:27
stiknruda

Question Yak 11 at N Weald

Took my conventionally geared aeroplane to EGSX at the w/e and fell in love with a Yak11.

Does anyone know if there is any possibility of flying one without buying one?

They look awesome and I'd love to have a couple of hours in my log book!

sNr

Old 5th Dec 2000, 21:06
FNG

Talking

I too have drooled over that lovely Yak 11 at North Weald, which, I gather, is air testing for addition to the Brit register. I suspect that your best bet for getting stick time in one of these birds might be via Mark Jefferies' Yak dealership at Little Gransden. Think they may be on the web as Yak UK something or other. They might say that they are not interested unless you arrive clutching 100 big smackers to buy the beast, but, you never know, they might be interested in renting out an hour or so dual at some heinous rate, if such a thing may be done lawfully (as to which I have no clue). No harm asking, I suppose. If you get any joy, let me know as I might be tempted to shell out a few readies for the same purpose. The other Yak lot are up at Halfpenny Green. Don't know if they've got any 11s.

PS: didja see the ad for the Yak 9 shares at 20K plus 180 a month? Can't bear to think what the hourly cost will be...

PPS: v envious of an acquaintance who recently got the warbird people at Wanaka NZ to devise him a bespoke package consisting of Moth to Harvard to P-51 over a 3 day period. Maybe take a trip to NZ and do that as it wasn't as sily money as you might think.

[This message has been edited by FNG (edited 05 December 2000).]

Old 6th Dec 2000, 00:54
Daneboy

Lightbulb

FYI: Mark Jefferies for
YAK UK Ltd <A HREF="http://www.yakuk.co.uk" TARGET="_blank">www.yakuk.co.uk</A>
Lt Gransden Airfield
Sandy, Beds
SG19 3BP England
Tel ## 44 (0)1767 651156 (fax 651157)
Mob ## 44 (0)7785 538317
ICAO locater EGMJ 52'10N 000'10W

Old 6th Dec 2000, 19:24
Southern Cross

Actually there are 3 Yak 11s at North Weald, each as gorgeous as the other - £100 would only buy you enough fuel to start, warm up and fly one circuit. Each is in private ownership - rides are by invitation only so you need to get yourself introduced - a few more fly-ins to North Weald perhaps?

There are no Yak 11s at Halfpenny Green.

Seeing a couple of the 11's formation flying is a real treat...

Old 6th Dec 2000, 20:14
AC-DC

Arrow

How do they look like? Can someone post a photo? I know the Yak 52 and the Yak 18 but not the 11.
Thanks

Old 6th Dec 2000, 21:26
FNG

Talking

When I referred to 100 big smacks I meant 100K. Everyone knows that £100 buys you bog all in aviation (OK, maybe a couple of C150s with full tanks, but apart from that, nowt)

As for photo: maybe one on the YakUK site?

Description: it's a tailwheel aircraft, fully retractable, solid looking but well proportioned, big round engine, shortish glasshouse, wings with rounded ends. Looks every inch a fighter (being, I believed, a de-tuned version of a late WW2 single seater adapted for training use). Looks and sounds great when run and breaking and generally goes like the clappers. If I were to get a smallish lottery win and couldn't quite stretch to the Mk IX Spittie, I'd go for one of these over a Harvard any day.

Old 6th Dec 2000, 22:02
Horsepower

Thumbs up

Yummmmmmmmmmmm.

[This message has been edited by Horsepower (edited 06 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Horsepower (edited 06 December 2000).]

Old 7th Dec 2000, 13:44
Southern Cross

Sorry FNG, I only re-read your post after I had posted and realised then that you had meant £100k - actually these aeroplanes are worth even more than that - I think £150k+ is closer to the mark, but then there are so few (and fewer changing hands), their value probably waxes and wanes with the Nasdaq.

Couldn't agree more that they are preferable to the Harvard though, not that I have flown either mind, but I do love Yaks...

The one in the top photo is one of the three based at North Weald - currently being blessed with a new engine I think.

[This message has been edited by Southern Cross (edited 07 December 2000).]

Old 7th Dec 2000, 15:31
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Wink

I think it's ugly. The Yak 50 looks much better and goes very well, too.

If you want to try the very exciting yet affordable Yak 52 (2-seat tri gear retractable version of the Yak 50) both Yak uk and the Guys at Halfpenny Green can oblige for around 170 maybe 200 GBP per hour.

Enjoy!!

SSD

Old 7th Dec 2000, 16:37
FNG

Smile

I would say that the photos don't do it full justice, making it look quite stumpy. It's somewhat more graceful in the flesh. Yak 52? now that's what I call ugly, although much less so when in flight. Definitely plan to have a go on a 52 soonish, though, as all agree that it is a very fine platform for quality yeehaws.

Old 7th Dec 2000, 17:02
Southern Cross

SSD - I have to say that the 11 just looks superb in the flesh and the photos do not do them justice at all. If you saw (or heard) one, you would be itching for a ride.

The 52 is a great aeroplane (speaking as an owner). 360hp just can't be wrong along with rock solid build quality. I am shortly going to check out onto a 50 as well and can't wait. Amazing power to weight (since it weighs just 2/3rds of a 52, same awesome engine.

FNG - ugliness is in the eye of the beholder! Suggest you do try a 52 - I bet you change your mind! Contact Skytrace at Halfpenny Green (now "Wolverhampton Business Airport") where, with probably the best 52 pilot in the UK and definitely the best 52 instructor (Gennady) you too can have a ball at about £180 per hour - money well spent IMHO.

BTW, the answer to the thread elsewhere in this section about short field takeoffs is to discard your Cessna or Piper, and slip into a 52 ...

Not an 11 though - they seem to be a little ground-huggy with those stubby wings.

[This message has been edited by Southern Cross (edited 07 December 2000).]

Old 7th Dec 2000, 17:47
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Wink

Yak 52 ugly? Our's isn't! (it has a spinner to sharpen that blunt nose). But it looks even better from the inside. And Southern Cross is right about short field take offs - open up that Vendeneyev (glorious!!), gear up, hold the aeroplane down 'till the windscreen is full of the trees at the far end, and ease the stick back - you zoom up to circuit height in a couple of seconds.

I would think a '50 is even more fun.

Oh, and I can also agree that Gennedy Elfimov (Genna) at Skytrace is THE Yakman. An excellent instructor and very highly experienced on type (his displays are gobsmacking). I learned more about Yakking in a hour with Genna than I would have thought possible.

SSD

[This message has been edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver (edited 07 December 2000).]

Old 7th Dec 2000, 23:48
AC-DC

Talking

Thank you H.P
It is a real Beauty. At one point I was looking to buy a Yak 18. Making the homework I was advised not do touch them mainly because of the engine.

Old 8th Dec 2000, 13:09
Horsepower

Cool

More drool-worthy pics, info and pilot reports on various warbirds at
<A HREF="http://www.warbirdalley.com/index.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.warbirdalley.com/index.htm</A>

Maybe Santa will bring me that P-51 this year...

Old 8th Dec 2000, 13:33
stiknruda

Wink

SSD - your Yak 52 back from the doctor's yet?

You need to see the Yak 11 in the flesh! I'm still planning on getting my ample flesh inside one!

sNr

Old 8th Dec 2000, 15:05
Southern Cross

AC-DC: You were poorly advised. The M14P is a superb engine. Touch wood, very reliable, powerful and sounds great. OK, it takes a little more work to start than simply jumping in a turning the key like you average Lycoming or Continental, but its performance is far superior IMHO.

Unlike your average 4 pot Lycoming, if you are unlucky enough to drop a cylinder, the engine doesn't just give up - in common with radials from other manufacturers, you can potentially lose several cylinders and the engine still develops sufficient power to keep flying.

Fuel consumption can be high if you run hard, but then one shouldn't compare it to an IO 360 because you're not comparing apples with apples...(although perhaps you were comparing the 18T with other 4 place tourers - I will admit that the 18T is a bit of a blunt instrument).

Old 8th Dec 2000, 16:01
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Stiknruda - no, it hasn't even gone to the doctors yet. Sorting out insurance takes longer than I'd have thought possible (for those who don't know, one of our group - not me - landed it gear-up).

The M14P is a lovely engine as SC says. It needs a bit of TLC but repays in reliability, power, and sound ;~)). But watch out for those hydraulic locks on start up.

I've got an M14P manual at home (available from Richard Goode) and it makes interesting reading. It's one well-engineered engine.

SSD

Old 8th Dec 2000, 23:18
AC-DC

Southern X.
Thanks for the reply. No, I did not compare it with the PA28 etc and did not care about fuel. I liked the sound and the old look but I was concern about the maintenance costs as I was told that they are troublesome. However, one question.
If the engines are so good why they are 700/750h TBO?
Anyway, too late now.

Old 9th Dec 2000, 15:38
Tricky Woo

fish

I'm currently sniffing around North Weald for a share in a Yak 52. Anyone know of one that's going?

Old 11th Dec 2000, 17:25
Southern Cross

TrickyWoo - I have sent you an e-mail as I might have what you are looking for!