Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Pilots Target Scottish Homes

Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Pilots Target Scottish Homes

Search this Thread

Old 26th Jun 2008, 05:54

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the 70s in Belize, the only low-flying complaint we got from the locals was "why aren't you?".
Old 26th Jun 2008, 12:02

Cattivo:

You need to go out and purchase a sense of humour and, since you responded to Archimedes and still manage to mistake my statement, (the "Porridge" one), as being by Airborne Artist you should probably do a course in remedial reading and comprehension.

I was making a joke, I'm sorry, (actually - that's a lie, I'm not, but it's polite to say it... ), if it went over your head... In order to try to prevent such a misunderstanding, (if you look really, really closely), you note that, right at the end of the post there was a . The implication of said smiley is that one is "having a bit of fun" as witnessed by the post's assertion that two aircraft carriers might fly low over "porridge wog land" targeting rowing boats...

You owe Airborne Artist an apology if, for no other reason, than you have proven that you type way faster than you think... Man up.

As to the "anti-scottish sentiment", having lived abroad for 20 years now, I was utterly unaware of said sentiment. However, when the elected leaders of Scotland make comments such as "The MoD is a blight...", then I can fully understand that the sentiment may raise it's ugly head. I would also suggest that the sentiment wasn't the result of that single statement but rather the result of a pattern of such statements and if the good people of Scotland don't like the sentiment I would suggest they quit voting in the type of leaders that make such boneheaded and divisive statements. By continuing to do so the people of Scotland are giving their tacit approval and therefore, probably, deserve what they get.

As to the Scotsmen and women who fight and die in the British Armed Forces: I was proud to serve alongside all the nationalities of the British Isles and, till the day I die, will continue to assert that they are, all, the finest soldiers, sailors and airmen/women in the world - bar none!
Old 26th Jun 2008, 16:47

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Cattivo

See, the problem with your post ORAC is that the carriers aren't built yet... so there's nothing to complain about... But, by 'eck there's going to be some bitching when they both start flying low over Porridge-Wog-Land and targeting rowing boats...

Post No. 23 on this thread, clearly written, as he himself says, by Airborne Aircrew

Now - does Airborne Artist (note the difference spelling after the first 'A' of the second word) get his apology? And did you mean that I was the idiot for pointing out your error, or were you referring the person posting about 'Porridge'?

If I might suggest, before you reply to this one, how about putting down the spade and stepping carefully away from the hole you're digging for yourself?
Old 26th Jun 2008, 17:49
Red On, Green On

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Attn Cattivo

Cattivo wrote:
but its bloody typical for some of the idiots on this forum (ie airborne artist) to use a flippant article with little credence as an excuse to mount an anti-Scottish attack
Could you please explain what you think it is I wrote that is anti-Scottish, or otherwise explain your comment.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 22:44

Both of these Airborne chumps carry the same sentiment. Lets use a low flying complaint (which only happen in Scotland of course) to have a dig at the Scots. One says "well lets take their council tax income away then" and the other uses a phrase that includes the word "wog". Thats offensive in any sphere of society so don't get on your high horse with me. That sort of language spoken would earn your uneducated ass a severe reprimand. Idiots.
Old 26th Jun 2008, 23:27

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Er... read airborne_artist's reference to council tax again, Cattivo.

Gibson said that the MOD was a blight on the lives of Scots. In response, Airborne Artist's said, and I'll quote it here to save you going back and finding it:

How much is the RAF in Moray and Fife worth to the local economies? How many civvies are employed, and what about the council tax paid by those who buy homes in the local area?
Which, I cannot help thinking, would be regarded by most people as being nothing more than a set of questions designed to point out that the MSP's observation that the MOD is a 'blight' on the economic life of Scotland and its inhabitants is a profundly silly thing to say. MOD personnel living in Scotland contribute to the local economy and to the local government funding and if, as Mr Gibson desires, the MOD ups and leaves, then that funding will reduce as the people go elsewhere. And if MOD employees end up redundant, then they will become an economic burden.

While I can see why you consider Airborne Aircrew's posts to be unacceptable rather than harsh banter, I fail to see how on earth airborne_artist's post can be taken to be an attack on Scots or Scotland. Pointing out that Gibson hasn't thought his charge of 'blight' through properly is not anti-Scottish.

And I'm sorry if you think I'm getting on a high horse, since I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that your attack on a_a is unjustified because you've clearly misinterpreted what he said.
Old 27th Jun 2008, 07:34

Jeez, some people are very touchy aren't they.

Do I get grief for being English? of course I do.
Do I give it back to the Scots? again, of course I do.
Is any of it meant seriously? of course not.

while there has always been rivalry and banter between the 'home nations' very few people actually take it seriously, although most of those that do tend to be the non-English

(and yes that's an example of the p*ss-taking I'm on about)
Old 27th Jun 2008, 07:39
Red On, Green On

Both of these Airborne chumps carry the same sentiment
Idiots.
When the going gets tough, the tough call people rude names. Love it....

Last edited by airborne_artist; 27th Jun 2008 at 07:52. Reason: spelling
Old 27th Jun 2008, 07:51

Has anyone thought to find the English translation from Italian of Cattivo.
As far as I can remember its "naughty" or thereabouts.

Personally I think Cattivo is the idiot here

GF

Last edited by GANNET FAN; 27th Jun 2008 at 12:53.
Old 27th Jun 2008, 08:14

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Do I get grief for being English? of course I do.
Do I give it back to the Scots? again, of course I do.
Is any of it meant seriously? of course not.
Spot on. Can't stand the separatists meself.
Old 27th Jun 2008, 08:51

God I miss low flying in the UK.
Hmmm....... searching for the irony here.

Is this you, then, CWGrizwald?

YouTube - Jeremy Clarkson in an F15E - Briefing and Flight.

Last edited by Zoom; 27th Jun 2008 at 09:10.
Old 27th Jun 2008, 12:02

Cattyvo:

You were given perfectly good advice, here:-

If I might suggest, before you reply to this one, how about putting down the spade and stepping carefully away from the hole you're digging for yourself?
You probably should have taken it.

You latest response is straight from "The Internet for Dummies". A touch of "avoid the apology expected of you" mixed with a cupful of Righteous Indignation. Stir in a spoonful of well seasoned Ad Hominem Attack and, bingo, you have your well reasoned response.

Whether your indignation is well founded or not, you still owe Mr. Artist an apology for attributing something you deem so offensive to him in error. To date you have proven that you are not man, (or woman should that be the case), enough to do so.

As far as political correctness is concerned: My level of political correctness is indirectly proportional to the thickness of your skin. I've never been a great fan of a petty form of mind control perpetrated by the weak in a desperate attempt to control those whom they cannot by strength of will. If you don't like such "foul" language it would be appropriate for you to remember that this is the internet and, if you don't like it, you don't have to turn on your computer. Censor yourself, not me!

Lastly... In three short messages you have used the following phrases:-

its bloody typical for some of the idiots on this forum (ie airborne artist)
then shut the xxxx up
thats a great contribution. Idiot.
Both of these Airborne chumps
would earn your uneducated ass a severe reprimand. Idiots.
... and then you bash on about someone being insulting!!!

It's been a pleasure watching you storm the moral low ground...

Apologize or poke off...
Old 27th Jun 2008, 12:54
Red On, Green On

AA - thanks for the support - love the moniker BTW

Cattivo - just assume that the article had been about an elected representative of Lincolnshire who had said:

"The MoD is a blight on our economic lives and on our everyday lives here in Lincolnshire" and I then asked the same questions about the economic value of the RAF to the county. Would most readers have assumed that a) I was anti-Lincolnians and b) that I was suggesting the RAF moved out of Lincolnshire? I doubt it.

As it happens I'm not anti-Scots, nor was I suggesting the RAF should leave Scotland. I was simply asking rhetorical questions that Mr Gibson had not considered, to point out what was, in my opinion, a sweeping and very inaccurate statement.

Keep up the tirade of epithets, but I doubt they'll stick - my last substantive rank was Corporal
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 14:46

Good for the RAF I say, training is training, if the locals don't like it, then........Tough bloody titty!!! Next time you moan & whin about it, make sure a Harrier is flying over your head so we can't hear a moaning word you're saying

Be cool to be targeted by a Harrier, Tornado, Hawk or a Typhoon....Not for real of course, don't fancy on eating a 27mm bullet or play chicken with a 1000lb bomb
Old 3rd Aug 2008, 19:10

Volunteer

I'll be over from the states on holiday in the Highlands for a week beginnign October 18 - so if you see a small rental car on the road by Loch Laggan, please feel free to use me as a simulated target. I promise not to mess up your aim by driving on the "wrong" side of your roads.

Cheers
TB
Old 6th Aug 2008, 19:55

Slightly OT but an amusing aside to the original post.

During the filming of "The Blue Max" (1966), there was a break in filming during one of dogfight scenes for the camera plane to get back up-sun. The pilot of the Pfalz (Fokker DR1), decided to have a stooge about, and saw a chap fly fishing in the middle of a wide river. He went low level down the river to-wards the fisherman "firing" at him. The fisherman on hearing the rata tat tat, looked up to see the Pfalz bearing down on him, whereupon he dropped his rod and ran for cover.
Although it was far from funny for the poor chap fishing; I must confess that I would have found it very hard to resist the temptation.

If in doubt BANG OUT.
Old 7th Aug 2008, 08:18

I always think what a shame it is when articles like this come out. Sure some people will complain about low flying jets but I bet for every one complaint there may be hundreds of people who thought that Harrier/Tornado/Eagle/anything else fast and pointy flying very quickly and very low was one of the coolest things they have ever seen. Its just human nature to complain about something they dislike but do nothing about something they enjoyed!