Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Flying Instructors & Examiners
Reload this Page >

FAA Ground Instructor CGI AGI

Flying Instructors & Examiners A place for instructors to communicate with one another because some of them get a bit tired of the attitude that instructing is the lowest form of aviation, as seems to prevail on some of the other forums!

FAA Ground Instructor CGI AGI

Old 10th Jul 2013, 08:43
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Ground Instructor CGI AGI

Hi Bros, I need some help here.

I would like to obtain FAA CGI / AGI by self study. I am a non-US citizen and do not live in US, however I visit New York regularly.

Anyone knows how I can register for the exam? There is no online application on the FAA website.

Thanks a lot!
Sammmy Sam is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2013, 02:42
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Augusta, Georgia, USA (back from Germany again)
Posts: 234
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can take the FAA exams at many testing centers in the US. I've always used CATS via the local community college - something like $129/test. AOPA members save ten dollars.

You will have to take The FOI test as well as any BGI, IGI, and AGI tests you want. No instructor endorsement required.

Take the exam results to the FSDO and eventually get your instructor certificate in the mail.

I have BGI and IGI.

Hope this helps.
LTCTerry is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2013, 03:25
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,923
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can take the tests at any of these locations:


As LTCTerry said, you'll have to do both the FOI and AGI writtens. You'll have the results walking out the door. In theory you could set up an appointment with a FSDO for some afternoon, complete the tests in the morning, and have your cert before dinner.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2013, 01:47
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much LTCTerry and MarkerInbound. May I confirm the information again.

1. I can do my self-study now, (using the package like Gleim), and when I am ready, go for the exam.

2. Then approach the test center as on the list from MarkerInbound for test and Instructor Certificate, no need to register/contact FAA office.

Thanks Again!!!
Sammmy Sam is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2013, 02:35
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,273
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not quite.

* Study however you like.
* When ready for the exams - FOI + certificate specific ie AGI, BGI &/or IGI - book an exam with an exam centre.
* After you pass FOI + BGI/AGI/IGI book an appointment with an FAA FSDO for the issue of the certificate. Bring government issued ID & exam results. The FSDO will issue a temporary certificate for you to use until the permanent one arrives in the mail.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 13th Jul 2013 at 02:36.
Tinstaafl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.