Engineers & Technicians In this day and age of increased CRM and safety awareness, a forum for the guys and girls who keep our a/c serviceable.

Cat A Lic usage

Old 14th Sep 2018, 11:41
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: too far north
Posts: 19
Cat A Lic usage

Anyone know if a Cat A Lic can be used as a stand alone qualification?

For example:
A privately owned aircraft is being washed at the airfield at which I work.
The A Lic allows routine lubrication to be certified.

Could I certify the lubrication of flight controls and undercarriage quoting my Lic number as certification?
Or can a Cat A only be used within the realms of a Part 145 organisation?

Thanks in advance
Emeroid Eng is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 12:29
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 53
Posts: 2,602
Pretty sure you need to be in a 145 environment..........

There are several categories of licenses which cover different levels and disciplines and a variety of routes exist to achieve them (This Blog Focuses on CAT A).

What is an EASA Part 66 CAT A Maintenance Engineers Licence

The Category A Licence: Ramp or Line Maintenance Certifying Mechanic typically performs relatively minor maintenance tasks and “simple” part replacements that may be required and to subsequently certify these tasks.

Cat A Aircraft Maintenance Engineers Licence (AMEL) allows the holder to issue certificates of release to service (When supported by an Approved Maintenance Organisation – AMO (145) following minor “Task Trained” scheduled line maintenance and simple defect rectification within the limits of the tasks specifically endorsed on the company authorization.

The privileges related to the certification shall be restricted to work that the license holder has personally performed (or is directly involved but requires assistance – for example wheel change) in a Part-145 organization.
TURIN is offline  
Old 14th Sep 2018, 13:36
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: too far north
Posts: 19
Thanks TURIN
Emeroid Eng is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 15:04
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moo moo land
Posts: 270
A licensed engineer "A" or "B" can only work within the limits of a part 145 Company approval . So the old days of just quoting your license on the paper work and earning a bit spare cash are a dim and distant Memory.
lowfat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.