Biz Jets, Ag Flying, GA etc. The place for discussion of issues related to corporate, Ag and GA aviation. If you're a professional pilot and don't fly for the airlines then try here.

China visa ...?

Old 8th Jul 2016, 12:37
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Paris
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question China visa ...?

Hi there,

What Chinese visa would you recommend me for a private flight in, about 1 or 2 day stay and back with a commercial flight (most likely from Shanghai ?)

Thanks in advance,

Falcon51 is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2016, 10:30
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Only upon request
Posts: 867
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe business or crew visa should be both suitable.
Just involve your handler and have them confirm to you that you'll be able to land as crew and depart as pax with the visa you intend to have.
FLEXJET is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2016, 02:06
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 70
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need a "M" (business) Visa. You can get one if you want but you'll need a letter of invitation. You could do a "C" (crew) visa or "L" (tourist) Visa. The requirements for Visa's change all the time so check with your handler on what you'll need on your trip.

These may be of some help...

China Overflight and Landing Permits ? Part 1: Changes in Lead Times and Revisions | Universal® Operational Insight Blog

China Overflight and Landing Permits ? Part 2: Permit Considerations | Universal® Operational Insight Blog
Lucky8888 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2016, 02:50
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where the Quaboag River flows, USA
Age: 70
Posts: 3,358
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be very careful--if you are crew, you must travel on a crew visa; if pax on business, a business visa. If crew entering as crew, but airlining out--you must have a letter in Mandarin and English explaining why you entered as crew but are traveling out on an airliner.

I have seen this done wrong and it will be painful. Jepp or UV handlers should be able to work the details. I've done it right and it's simple. We had a crew change during the trip, the details were missed, the crew member stayed in a rather tatty hotel on the airport for the night, missing their flight.

galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2016, 03:51
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you need to be on the Gen Dec. In and out. If for some reason you come in on Gen Dec and they need to commercial you home you're in deep shit.
Best is to get a letter of invitation for $75 (many sources, very common) then send it and the application to Visa Express, and get a ten year, unrestricted in and out, 60 day stay business visa. That way you can commercial in and Gen Dec out and vice versa and you'll never have a problem. Costs about $500 but is tax deductible.
moondriver is offline  
Old 18th Jul 2016, 01:10
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 56
Posts: 93
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get yourself a business visa. You may normally only hold one China visa at a time, so make it a useful one.

The added flexibility will pay for any up front fiddling, and you can avoid the additional time and costs of special handling letters and escort staff if you have to enter or depart as pax on a commercial flight (or by road!).

I've had a hot/cold relationship with crew visas over the past ten years. After being intercepted by immigration for the umpteenth time for repositioning on a commercial flight with a crew visa, the CIQ supervisor told me to get a business visa and stop causing trouble. Good advice! I have never had a problem with a business visa, travelling as crew or as pax.

Regardless: keep your handler in the loop with what you have. They can't help if they don't know.

Happy trails
envoy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.