Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

"Virgin Australia Mk II could launch in as little as three months"

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

"Virgin Australia Mk II could launch in as little as three months"

Old 30th Apr 2020, 06:03
  #221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,302
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=SOPS;10767918]Twiggy is in the mix it seems.


Well, how does one make a small fortune out of aviation...?
KRUSTY 34 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 06:05
  #222 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,159
Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Des Dimona
With limited cash and effectively no income, there isn't much time to sort this out.
What is their cash position? That's what I'd like to know.

You can rest assured that management bundled at least $30 million for Deloitte plus a million or so for exec team wages into the Captain's lifeboat before scarpering off to leave their trade creditors and landlords on the badly listing Costa YaShirt to fend for themselves. I guess we now have to wait weeks/months till the second creditors' meeting to see how low they ran the cash reserves before entering VA.

Last edited by MickG0105; 30th Apr 2020 at 06:55. Reason: Typo
MickG0105 is online now  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 06:51
  #223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 82
Posts: 259
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Twiggy

Originally Posted by Paragraph377
Another billionaire who likes to pretend he is in it ‘for the little people’, a supporter of the average Joe. More BS. Twiggy is in it for Twiggy. The way he set up the Government to take a slap from the Chinese Diplomat at a live news conference where a Minister was speaking shows the ego, pride and audacity of these tossers. Anyone who calls themselves ‘Twiggy’ has to be a jackoff. I have more respect for Gina, at least she lets you know she is in it for herself!
He probably has been called “twiggy” from when he was a kid.
I very much doubt if he gave himself the nickname “ twiggy”.
Very much an Australian thing to call someone with the name Forrest “twiggy”.
RodH is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 07:17
  #224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 220
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Paragraph377
Another billionaire who likes to pretend he is in it ‘for the little people’, a supporter of the average Joe. More BS. Twiggy is in it for Twiggy. The way he set up the Government to take a slap from the Chinese Diplomat at a live news conference where a Minister was speaking shows the ego, pride and audacity of these tossers. Anyone who calls themselves ‘Twiggy’ has to be a jackoff. I have more respect for Gina, at least she lets you know she is in it for herself!

good to see tall poppy syndrome is alive and well
chookcooker is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 07:55
  #225 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: MEL
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Twiggy can chum up with a state-owned Chinese airline to buy Virgin Australia. Anybody for 'China Very Southern' or 'Panda Air' ?
MelbourneFlyer is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 08:05
  #226 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,877
Received 153 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Des Dimona
Today was just a formality - the business is a train wreck as long as COVID is around. With limited cash and effectively no income, there isn't much time to sort this out.

What I don’t understand why there is any interest at all? Airlines around the world are laying people and asking for government hand outs. I just can’t see the attraction.
SOPS is online now  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 08:15
  #227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Unfortunately not the Orient
Posts: 387
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 32 Posts
Maybe that’s why Twiggy is going so crazy about the Australian sentiment towards China at the moment. He’s lined up Chinese money behind a tilt at VA.
SandyPalms is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 08:23
  #228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Moe's
Posts: 162
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chookcooker
good to see tall poppy syndrome is alive and well
Took the words out of my mouth...disregard the man’s endless philanthropy, he’s a billionaire so he must be a prick right? Typical straaaayan attitude.
flamingmoe is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:33
  #229 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: aus
Posts: 1,295
Likes: 0
Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RodH
He probably has been called “twiggy” from when he was a kid.
John Andrew Henry Forrest
rattman is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:49
  #230 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 71
Posts: 1,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chookcooker
good to see tall poppy syndrome is alive and well
Thank you chicken choker.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:58
  #231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Singaporelah not any more
Posts: 14
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Sandy, After his little "Rat" attack last night, he has shown his reasons for Pro Chinese development, he wants to take Virgin with Chinese $. Fat chance now. .
ULH Extreme is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 11:19
  #232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 220
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Paragraph377
Thank you chicken choker.
ooh snap!!

it’s okay mate. I’m not rich, so no need to be jealous/bitter/twisted
chookcooker is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 11:38
  #233 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: act
Posts: 181
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His forefather- John Forrest- was the first Premier of WA, so because he’s a young one off the family tree he is just a twig. Get it? Not a difficult concept, like”Junior “ , or “ Taddy”, or the myriad of other nicknames given to younger siblings
Vref+5 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 11:46
  #234 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 71
Posts: 1,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chookcooker
ooh snap!!

it’s okay mate. I’m not rich, so no need to be jealous/bitter/twisted
Oh dear, you thought that was a snap?! My my aren’t you a conceited one. Ummm, I don’t think so mate. And I’m sorry to hear that you’re not rich. Aviation has looked after me rather well !!
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 11:54
  #235 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: A house
Posts: 645
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Shame it did nothing for your personality!
Chadzat is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 12:02
  #236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Chester
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the topic - there may be an interest by Forrest in VARA and the WA operation, but I can't see the attraction for the complete entity. He's not the sort of guy who would stake an operation without a guaranteed return.

It needs to be remembered that all the so called "interested parties" are just that and they will only be looking at a debt free start up using some of the assets of the carcass. So the debt has to disappear and that can only occur if the company is somehow wound up. No one is going to take a 100% haircut if the losses can be reduced to a lesser value by stopping the cash outflow now.
TCAS v2 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 12:10
  #237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 283
Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Paragraph377
Oh dear, you thought that was a snap?! My my aren’t you a conceited one. Ummm, I don’t think so mate. And I’m sorry to hear that you’re not rich. Aviation has looked after me rather well !!
This account has to be some kind of elaborate troll account. Nobody not not heavily on the spectrum is this self unaware.
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 12:41
  #238 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 71
Posts: 1,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by das Uber Soldat
This account has to be some kind of elaborate troll account. Nobody not not heavily on the spectrum is this self unaware.
‘Elaborate’ is a big word for you to use das Uber Driver. Don’t go getting yourself all confused. Now, you and Chad go and find something productive to do like write down aircraft rego’s or send pen pal messages to Geoffrey Thomas.
Paragraph377 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:25
  #239 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 283
Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Paragraph377
‘Elaborate’ is a big word for you to use das Uber Driver. Don’t go getting yourself all confused. Now, you and Chad go and find something productive to do like write down aircraft rego’s or send pen pal messages to Geoffrey Thomas.
Yikes.

I think there is a village somewhere looking for you kiddo.







das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2020, 21:14
  #240 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Zealand
Age: 71
Posts: 1,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS v2
Back to the topic - there may be an interest by Forrest in VARA and the WA operation, but I can't see the attraction for the complete entity. He's not the sort of guy who would stake an operation without a guaranteed return.

It needs to be remembered that all the so called "interested parties" are just that and they will only be looking at a debt free start up using some of the assets of the carcass. So the debt has to disappear and that can only occur if the company is somehow wound up. No one is going to take a 100% haircut if the losses can be reduced to a lesser value by stopping the cash outflow now.
Unless he wants to purchase a small portion of the company not because it makes loads of money, but to simply ensure that his mining interests are serviced by a regular FIFO service. Mining is and will remain his focus, not airlines. Smart man. As a hypothetical, he buys in, if the purchased chunk is big enough he gets a seat on the Board so that’s good. But what if it isn’t profitable? Does it matter? He loses say $50m per year in the airline but it keeps his mines operating which personally fills his pocket with hundreds of millions of dollars per year. Sounds good to me. Even better, he might break even on his invested component or even make a couple of bucks. But the methodology behind his buy-in is to keep his mines staffed and operating 24/7. That’s where the money is, mining. And that’s his motivation. That said, who cares what his motivation is, if it keeps Pilots in the air then that is a good thing.


Paragraph377 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.