Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Government Loan to Virgin Australia

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Government Loan to Virgin Australia

Old 9th Apr 2020, 06:23
  #301 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Qld
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

VA axes what remains of the domestic network except for a single SYD-MEL service. This leaves only the single SYD-MEL service and the charters as the operating flights in the VA network.

Are we witnessing the death knell of VAH?
DanV2 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 07:45
  #302 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Jungle
Posts: 638
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
Err the opposite of that I believe.
Every day EXCEPT Saturday.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

They mean RPT I guess? FIFO still operating through VARA?
If Virgin goes under, can VARA survive on its own or will Virgin take VARA down with it?
smiling monkey is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:10
  #303 (permalink)  
34R
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Age: 52
Posts: 238
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VARA is Virgin
34R is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:15
  #304 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 402
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 34R
VARA is Virgin
VARA is Skywest. Seperate AOC.

The cats arse will be back. The fokker 50s ferried back in from whoever, wherever, and theyíll roll on again. Like last time.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:20
  #305 (permalink)  
34R
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brisbane
Age: 52
Posts: 238
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blueskymine
VARA is Skywest. Seperate AOC.

The cats arse will be back. The fokker 50s ferried back in from whoever, wherever, and theyíll roll on again. Like last time.

Hope you're right....... What was the AOC status for VANZ and Tiger?
Genuine question
34R is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:23
  #306 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,957
Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts
If VARA have their own AOC there is a chance it could be resuscitated and sold off.
neville_nobody is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:26
  #307 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP VA, the little leprechaun will be very pleased!
machtuk is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:33
  #308 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Qld
Posts: 161
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skywest and Hazelton/Kendall (now REX), which were all on separate AOCs from mainline AN's AOC, was sold off and restarted when AN collapsed.

VA regional is using the Skywest AOC. So it'll likely be the same case if VA was to file voluntary administration shortly, Skywest (VA Regional) would be restarted through the existing VARA AOC as soon as it's possible after administration.
DanV2 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:46
  #309 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minus the Virgin name, so Branson who didn't come to the rescue can't make his 10%.
normanton is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:49
  #310 (permalink)  
-41
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: a
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a standalone VARA would be easily destroyed by AJ.
-41 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:52
  #311 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,565
Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
So we get left with ******* Qantas. Here comes $1000 Melbourne Sydney flights and $3000 economy to Europe. All to keep a bunch of cosseted prima donnas in Sydney. Get rid of Qantas. They are a bunch of parasites.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 08:52
  #312 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, N.S.W. Australia
Posts: 149
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neville_nobody
If VARA have their own AOC there is a chance it could be resuscitated and sold off.
The AOC is separate:
Holder Name:
VIRGIN AUSTRALIA REGIONAL AIRLINES PTY LTD
Town/City:
WELSHPOOL
State:
WA
AOC Holder Country:
Australia
Type of AOC:
Australian
CASA Office:
Western Region
Operations:
Aircraft Charter, RPT
AOC Application Status:
Issued
Issue Date:
27/09/2019
Expiry Date:
30/09/2022
Bankstown is online now  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 09:00
  #313 (permalink)  
-41
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: a
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She'll be right QQ will buy the mainline 73 AOC 😂 minus the Branson baggage
-41 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 09:15
  #314 (permalink)  
ABP
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanV2
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...dney-melbourne

VA axes what remains of the domestic network except for a single SYD-MEL service. This leaves only the single SYD-MEL service and the charters as the operating flights in the VA network.

Are we witnessing the death knell of VAH?
Qantas about to announce 1B737, 1A230 and 1DH8 operation too.
ABP is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 09:26
  #315 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
So we get left with ******* Qantas. Here comes $1000 Melbourne Sydney flights and $3000 economy to Europe. All to keep a bunch of cosseted prima donnas in Sydney. Get rid of Qantas. They are a bunch of parasites.
Sunfish you are a parasite yourself.
normanton is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:05
  #316 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 243
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
And now Virgin announces that theyíre stopping ALL domestic flights bar one return SYD-MEL.

If thatís not a company in desperation I donít know what is.
You have states closing down their borders - absolutely no one is flying.

Have you been to an airport recently? I have:
Melbourne - was empty with hardly any cars driving from the Tulla up to departures or arrivals.
Sydney - we taxied for 34L (as they were only using one runway) and there wasnít a single arrival or departure the whole time, and we were the only ones taxiing.
Gold Coast - we were the only RPT flight for the day

In case you havenít realised, the country is in lockdown. Whatís the point in flying empty aircraft around? Iím not sure what loads on QF (I would be genuinely interested to know) are like, but they are very very low on VA.

And as the poster above said, QF arenít far from doing a similar thing. To be honest, Iím glad VA got in first with this - I would hate to know how much money is being spent flying around empty planes.
Colonel_Klink is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:47
  #317 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: moon
Posts: 3,565
Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
My interest is the development of the australian economy.

‘It is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your ‘30,000” jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.
Sunfish is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 10:56
  #318 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,153
Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Colonel_Klink
And as the poster above said, QF arenít far from doing a similar thing. To be honest, Iím glad VA got in first with this - I would hate to know how much money is being spent flying around empty planes.
QF basically have already.

Loads are low on all airlines but there are goods and people that still need to be moved intercity by air quickly, they canít wait for the long times that road transport takes in Australia. Freight, mail, organ transplants, compassionate travel, transfer of key critical health, emergency and government personnel. A lot of trade is now being done online and by order instead of in stores, lots of that goes by air and the current freight only fleet isnít big enough to carry it all, thereíll need to keep some pax aircraft airborne transporting a lot of that freight so they might as well sell some tickets. There is only a skeleton network operating, but the government will need to subsidise that bare skeleton network for critical issues. It actually wouldnít cost too much for a few months as itíd be no more than a one or a few flights per day between cities.

The airlines will also need to keep some pilots current or when the lockdowns are lifted and 5 million Australians want to travel and visit their family and friends all over the country again (in China as soon as the lockdowns were lifted people flocked everywhere) and get the economy back on track there wonít be enough current pilots to fly them all suddenly.
dr dre is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 11:04
  #319 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 279
Likes: 0
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
My interest is the development of the australian economy.

ĎIt is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your Ď30,000Ē jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.
this is a brilliant post. Long enough to print out and use as toilet paper.
cloudsurfng is online now  
Old 9th Apr 2020, 11:23
  #320 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Unfortunately not the Orient
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
My interest is the development of the australian economy.

ĎIt is axiomatic that this requires Australian companies to be outward looking and internationally competitive to grow and prosper for the benefit of the Australian economy. To be clear, that term benefit means investment, international sales through competitiveness and resulting jobs and prosperity.

To achieve the above requires seamless and efficient international travel capability, inbound and outbound, from Australia.

Qantas does not provide anything like a service that supports the rest of the Australian economy.

To put that another way, your Ď30,000Ē jobs are at the expense of maybe 500,000++ Australian jobs because you act as a gatekeeper or parasite, preventing fast seamless access for Australian business to the rest of the world. In addition, your international services are biased towards Sydney which gives NSW a larger share of inbound investment than it warrants.

You and your management are quite capable of strangling any economic recovery post Covid - 19. Therefore it would be better for Australia to either nationalize you or let you go to the wall so that we can have true unfettered competition.

To put that another way, Qantas monopoly is a disaster for the Australian economy.

Nothing personal. You are just an economic pest.
axiomatic? Been a while mate, welcome back.
SandyPalms is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.