PDA

View Full Version : Contingencies

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
21st Aug 2003, 12:10
Curious to know what procedures you have in place at your facility when you have to "abandon ship" due to fire or other emergency circumstances.

Goldfish Jack
21st Aug 2003, 13:31
Our procedures are covered in the SOPs.

The first and most important thing is to determine the exact problem and does the building have to be evacuated. Once this decision is made, very basically the following are done:

1. Put on ATIs: "Evacuation in progress, all a/c to comply with last clearances. A/c to monitor 121.9 for instructions. No starts accepted due evacuation. (Why 121,9 - it is our ground freq).

2. Phone the next ATCCs and closest ATSUs and advise them we are accepting no traffic UFN and state reason.

3. We have several dittels, which the controllers can take with them to the rendevouz point.

4. Staff are told to proceed to the rendevous point and await further instructions. (There is a list of things they have to take with them to this point)

5. This will all change in the next year when we get a on-line simulator facility , which is to be housed in a separate building next to the ATCC, with its own power supply, etc etc.

Fox3snapshot
21st Aug 2003, 13:43
Ask the Staff at the Ohakea Center in New Zealand......Their Center actually did burn down!

Needless to say they have some well laid out SOP's to cover the evacuation.... and the melted clock on the wall from the old ACC serves as a reminder.

:ooh:

22nd Aug 2003, 07:46
Fox3: The clock hasn't been reinstated yet since refurbishment for Skyline in last few months.

Are you familiar with said clock or just been told about it by someone who is?

The reason for the original question is I'm wondering how many facilities out there have a neighbouring facility which takes over the airspace and how many provide solitary coverage for a large area.

Next question is what is the long term plan if your facility is decommissioned by an unforeseen circumstance? (Earthquake or similar)

Fox3snapshot
22nd Aug 2003, 23:49
Yes am familiar with said clock having worked there....but not skyline? Is that a new operating system, company, washing machine???? I have been away from there almost 6 years now.

:p

25th Aug 2003, 06:43
Fox3

Check your PM

For anybody else that's wondering Skyline is a Lockheed Martin ATM system.

Airways has installed it in NZ. The boys (and girls) are still "getting used to it." :confused: :uhoh: :mad: :}

Fox3snapshot
25th Aug 2003, 10:15
Could be worse....you could be using Raytheon Autotrak 2....or whatever they claim this upgrade to be!

"If you want it, your gonna have to pay for it!"

The standard response from all these opportunist Engineering companies that claim they are providing the cutting edge for ATC Radar systems.....would be nice if the engineer geeks with their pocket protectors and company profit share criteria actually consulted with ATCO's and Aviators on the real needs of our systems.

Sorry, little grumpy cause my radar pooped itself again ....oooogh but who needs radar, RVSM is on its way and of course there is TCAS!!!!!

Quadroople redundancy they say.....well with the amount of software glitches you need it!

:uhoh:

Scott Voigt
25th Aug 2003, 12:18
Fox3snapshot;

It's a good thing that we are still getting to work on some of the equipment before it gets fielded... New administration seems to not want to do it that way, but hopefully we can show them the error of their ways...

I wonder if Autotrack 2 is the Raytheon system that we through a LOT of change have turned into STARS??? It was no where near ready for prime time when they first started working on it. Still has some issues that we are working through.

regards

Scott

Fox3snapshot
25th Aug 2003, 12:34
Well here is the entertaining thing..

I was working AUTOTRAK 2100 when I happened upon the Singapore airshow last year and Raytheon was showing off Autotrak 3 or something well beyond your average unit's budget!

What was most entertaining was the fact that the goopters selling the product were not controllers....sorta like buying an Aibus 340 from a Pizza salesman!

Needless to say when we went to Autotrak 2 ???? Lotsa bells, whistles and other completely useless gadgets, ultimately we felt jipped!

One day, God Willing, the management and engineers will ask ATC and Flight Crew, what is required to make an efficient Aviation System!

Not convinced it will happen within the next millenium but here's hoping.

Good, Better, Best,

Fox3

:suspect: