PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook - The Delights Of Corfu

beamer
19th Aug 2003, 20:34
Ah - Corfu, a small island of paradise off the coast of Albania.

A delightfully situated airport with an interesting approach when cloud is gathering in the bay followed by a marvellous smooth runway surface.

I have been into Corfu twice over the last week or so; on both
occasions the landing runway was 35 with nightime CAVOK conditions together with still air. The majority of operators seem
quite happy to descend visually overhead the GAR VOR letting
down over the bay righthand downwind for an expeditious visual
approach to land. However I have noticed two TCX aircarft carrying out the full cloudbreak procedure using the KRK VOR which takes an inordinate amount of time. On the first occasion I had to hold for 7-8 minutes prior to backtrack for departure on 35
whilst another aircraft from my company was told to join the hold whilst the TCX 757 was carrying out the full procedure.

My question for TCX pilots is simple - are you allowed to fly a visual letdown for Corfu at night or does your Ops Manual insist on an instrument approach ?

I do fully appreciate that the peculiar conditions associated with
Corfu in respect of terrain, weather and high instrument approach minima make this particular airfield a little more challenging when conditions conspire but when the place is busy
an expeditious approach can help all concerned.

Then there is the issue of Airbus aircraft unable to launch on 35
but thats another story..................

Rwy in Sight
21st Aug 2003, 22:58
I am nor at all aware about the SOP of TCX but I am aware of the airport from a SLF perspective. My understanding is that Rwy 35 is the runway for landings and only rarelyy 17 is used for that purpose. For take of is the other way around.

I think there is a radar for the approach and an ILS can't be used because of the terain.

Just my 2 cents worht

Rwy in Sight

beamer
22nd Aug 2003, 02:17
RUNWAY 35 IS INDEED THE MAIN LANDING RUNWAY WITH A CIRCLING APPROACH FROM VOR OR CLOUDBREAK PROCEDURE ON 35 TO LAND ON 17 IF REQUIRED.

FOR DEPARTURE 35 IS NORMALLY USED BY AIRCRAFT WITH SUFFICIENT PERFORMANCE - ie 757. RUNWAY 17 IS AVAILABLE FOR AIRCRAFT WITH LESS PERFORMANCE MARGINS. OBVIOUSLY
THE PREVAILING WIND WILL HAVE AN EFFECT ON ALL AIRCRAFT.

PROBLEM LIES IN THE DEPARTURE OF AIRCRAFT ON 17 WHEN THE
PREFERRED RUNWAY FOR LANDING IS 35 - INCIDENTALLY BOTH
RUNWAYS NORMALLY REQUIRE AN EMERGENCY TURN IN THE EVENT OF A POWERPLANT FAILURE UPON DEPARTURE

Boeing 7E7
22nd Aug 2003, 18:36
As a frequent operator into of Corfu, I think it best that the pilot flying the aircraft does what he is most comfortable doing and not worry about what somebody else would like them to do. If that causes other aircraft to hold then so be it. What impact does holding for 6-7 minutes have on the length of the entire duty day of close to 10 hours?

expedite_climb
22nd Aug 2003, 18:45
There is no TCX ruling on visual approaches at CFU.

However as 7e7 says it is up to the guy flying the thing as to what HE or SHE wants to do, sorry but thats life. CFU can be a dangerous place if not treated with respect.

I have been held up on arrival / departure many times before at many different airfields because the AMM/BY/MON/MYT/ any other airline, has done the full procedure when I was ready to go visual.

moleslayer
22nd Aug 2003, 20:39
Corfu at night...........

Company rule at my outfit...........

Instrument approaches only.

Moley.

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
23rd Aug 2003, 05:27
Might be something to do with the GAR being u/s for a while.If you are coming in from the west there is only an arrival via KRK and if you say you are "visual" from Latan (is it?) you are telling porkies.(The field is obscured by hills untill almost on the extended centerline of 35).Routing in from the North (Tigra?)you can honestly call visual and do your best Yee Har home spun approach.
Also remember that during darkness you may be "good visual" with all the nice twinkly lights ,but it's the big dark empty bit that will kill you.
By all means extend some courtesy to other users but fly the approach you are comfortable with.Keep the vegatation out of aviation.

beamer
24th Aug 2003, 17:40
The original question made no implication other than to wonder if there was a TCX policy on this matter. Clearly if the pilots feel that
an instrument approach is required regardless of weather conditions that is their choice - no problem other than the fact that it may disrupt the flow of arrivals and departures - Corfu is not unique in this respect.

Pilot Pete
25th Aug 2003, 09:38
I think Homer has summed it up quite well, Corfu particularly.

PP