PDA

View Full Version : British Midland Interview Question

DownIn3Green
16th Mar 2001, 23:54
I heard it from a reliable source that one of the questions that may be asked on the British Midland interview is "What are the benefits of an all flying tailplane?

My firend has an interview there and trying to prepare himself he asked me what I thought. (I guess he thinks I am most wise about things aeronautical)

Anyway, I'll impress him with my knowledge by "using a lifeline"., ie-polling ppruners, because, frankly, I don't have a clue what he's talking about, and I don't want him to realize I am not aviation's answer to Regis
Philbin.

Thanks for your help...

Honest Frank
17th Mar 2001, 00:06
I too had this question along with other technical questions I cant quite remember.
Caught out on the spot I replied with an honest answer,"I know what an all moving tailplane is but I'll be f*cked what the advantages are!"(well-not exactly in those words!!!!!!!)
I DID pass the interview by the way....

Bally Heck
17th Mar 2001, 01:13
Er...improved C of G envelope and er reduced induced drag through a range of angles of attack...I think...maybe.

Anti Freeze
17th Mar 2001, 02:00
Variable incidence ?

4 reasons

The requirment for large C.G. range

The need to cover a large speed range

The need to cope with possibly large trim changes due to wing leading and trailing edge high lift devices without limiting the amount of elevator remaining

The need to reduce trim drag to min

Spout that lot in an interview and you probably will not get in for being a smart arse ( no I am not, page 35,Handling the big jets, good book)

I wonder if it is copyrighted !

What am I doing its Friday night

[This message has been edited by Anti Freeze (edited 16 March 2001).]

Skylark4
17th Mar 2001, 02:44
Apart from being aerodynamically cleaner than the conventional tailplane/elevator set up, I understand that it overcomes the problem of control lock up or reversal at transonic speeds. I would hope that you guys do not intend to investigate the veracity of this statement.

Mike W

Hugh Jorgen
17th Mar 2001, 14:04
Always remember the people asking these questions are the ones that looked it up the night before!!

curmudgeon
17th Mar 2001, 16:41
"A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer."

Just don't tell them this in the interview!

smallfish
19th Mar 2001, 20:45
Flying tails tend to be pivoted at their aerodynamic centre, the upshot of which is that you get no torque through the pivot and no stick load (unless you stall the tailplane). Flying tails therefore will be fitted with some kind of feel system to provide feedback. This tends to be a simple spring trim on light aircraft and hydraulic or electrical autotrim on the heavier variety.