PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Strikes

daft fader
15th Mar 2001, 01:30
Probably been asked before, so forgive me.

What are the likely effects of a lightning strike on an airborne aircraft? Are aircraft with glass cockpits more liable to damage?
Has anyone an unusual/amusing experience to relate on this topic?

tired
15th Mar 2001, 02:16
In theory there should be no effects whatsoever, glass cockpit or steam-driven. The aeroplane is supposed to be so constructed that all it's relevant pieces are bonded together and the electricity (which is all that a lightning strike really is) is discharged to the atmosphere through a convenient static wick. That is what has occurred to me on the few occassions I've had one - just had a little marking on the paintwork.

However, sometimes the effects can be a little more spectacular than advertised, I assume because the bonding has broken down for whatever reason. There are many stories of a lightning strike on the nose which travels down the aisle as a fireball and exits out of the tail. In all the stories I've heard of this variety, there never seems to be much damage to the aeroplane (other than the brown marks on the seats :)). There are also instances where the strike has caused partial, or complete, electrical failure, with all the attendant problems. A friend of mine had a case like this many years ago in an old Turbo Commander - he lost just about everything on the panel. Fortunately he was VFR and remained so until landing, so no great problem. I think those sort of occurences are rare though, thankfully.

Deep Stall
15th Mar 2001, 03:51
Got hit one evening on the way into EGPF. The lightning struct on one of the conductor rods on the nose(146) about two feet in fornt of me!! It gets your attention!! However, no ill effects to the a/c systems, found the exit mark after landing though, the bolt had managed to gouge a three inch scar under the port aileron with scorching all around to boot. Cue another lenghty tech delay, ahhh dont you love the 14sick!!!

Checkboard
15th Mar 2001, 14:07
Hasve a look at Lightning Strikes (http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20000604-3-000261.html) from the Tech Log archive. (http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=A%3A000002&SUBMIT=Go)

------------------
Tech Log forum moderator

PFM
16th Mar 2001, 15:23
Does anyone know the most likely temps for a lightening strike? (CX tech question)?

PilotOfficer
16th Mar 2001, 15:44
Believed to be hotter than the sun's surface, but of exceptionally short duration (thank goodness!) :)

DreamCatcher
16th Mar 2001, 15:52
As a holiday pax on final into Kos - struck by ball lightening. Saw it strike the port wing and flash over onto starboard.

Stewardess came on with the usual, 'Ladies and gentlemen, nothing to worry about, you may have noticed that we've just been struck by lightening coming in to land. The aircraft is perfectly safe and there's been no damage.... (pregnant pause)... fortunately!'

Same trip on return to Manchester, into the descent, skipper came on and said, '(L & G etc.) For practice, the co-pilot is going to attempt to land the plane. Should be good for a laugh!'

This was a week after the Manchester plane fire.

Good eh? Bloody funny. :)

------------------
If you're not on the edge, then you're taking up too much space.

F/O Goon
16th Mar 2001, 19:53
I got struck by lighning a few months ago.

Felt like someone had hit us under the nose (under the feet!!) with a large plank of wood!

Made a large bang and the pax saw a flash.

We were very surprised (under statement!!) because the cloud was a very harmless looking Cu- we didn't even have the weather radar on!!

No damage whatsoever noticed by us. Very thorough going over by engineers (apparently our trim systems - particularly ailerons - are susceptible to damage) and no damage spotted by them either. Small exit mark.. about 1/4 inch under nose and no entry mark.

Both ADFs (fine at the time) died about a week later...... hmmmmmmm..... dunno about that!!

The Capt I was flying with has since been struck again..... electric personality!!!

:)

[This message has been edited by F/O Goon (edited 16 March 2001).]