PDA

View Full Version : Latest Available Point To Go Around

flyingmach.79
18th Aug 2003, 14:54
JUST A QUICK ONE FOR YOU ALL.

JUST WONDERING WHAT WAS THE LOWEST HEIGHT OR LAST POINT IN RELATION TO FEET THAT A GO AROUND COULD BE EXPEDITED IN COMMERCIAL JETS??

DOES IT DEPEND ON RUNWAY LENGTH

THANKS

expedite_climb
18th Aug 2003, 15:13
You can go around from any point, you may however, touch the ground during the go around.

jtr
18th Aug 2003, 15:52
Can still go around after touch down, just make sure you haven't pulled the reversers. Lose about 40' in the 744 for a g/a on AP

flyingmach.79
18th Aug 2003, 17:47
OK THANKS, LET ME THROM THIS ONE IN, WHAT IF ON APPROACH AND THERE IS AN AIRCRAFT ON THE RNWY. WHEN WOULD IT BECOME IMPOSSIBLE TO GO AROUND?

seat 0A
18th Aug 2003, 19:50
Latest point is just before you pull reverse.
However in these cases I personally make the decision at 100 feet.

Cheers

BTW, you do know how to work your caps lock, dont you?

flyingmach.79
18th Aug 2003, 20:43
YeS I OnLy ReAlIsEd I Had been typing it all in caps after i had finished.
thank for the advise thats just what i wanted to know.

flyingmach.79

Intruder
19th Aug 2003, 01:03
It is never "impossible" to go around, until the airplane is on the ground and braking has commenced. Many/most airline FOMs prohibit attempts to go around after the engines are in reverse.

When the last opportunity is to go around and miss an aircraft on the runway depends on too many factors, each of which may be constantly changing, for a simple answer: rate of descent, aircraft weight, power setting, margin above stall speed, position of the airplane on the runway, height of that airplane's tail...

While a 747 may lose 40' in a go-around performed in a normal manner, it is possible to reduce that by non-standard measures if the only other option is to hit another airplane.

df1
19th Aug 2003, 17:11
May I just expand on this a little by asking just how difficult would it be to initiate a go-around from an on the ground situation? Assuming the autobrakes are in effect, the spoilers are deployed. Surely a significant initial speed reduction has already occured - even without reverse.

Also, how would you figure a new rotate speed?

Thanks.

SQ Fugitive #2
20th Aug 2003, 08:50
I think you will find that once the thrust levers are advanced the spoilers will stow and the autobrake will switch off. As long as reverse has not been selected the engines will only take about 3-5 seconds to spool up.
During Base training (touch and go circuits) the proceedure is to land with the spoilers disarmed and the autobrakes off. The reconfiguration to T/O flap and re-trimming takes around 7-8 seconds. V ref is used as the rotate speed.
The difference during a Go-around would be that the flaps would be in the landing config therefore alot more drag would ensue during the lift-off and climb to clean up.
In short the aircraft is certified to do it and quite capable within the landing distance of the runway in use.

NigelOnDraft
20th Aug 2003, 15:38
df1...

As SQ says, the aircraft is designed to cope with a GA initiated after touchdown - obviously a certification requirement.

We have, in BA, on 2 fleets had this in the latest sim schedule to emphasise this can be done, and the problems that can arise. In the 757/767 it was more the FD not behaving correctly (easily solved by pressing the GA switches again a few seconds after liftoff). In the Airbus you get a config warning (too much flap I think).

Pilots need to be aware of this - the Qantas BKK overrun, and a less serious one a little closer to home were incidents where at least one pilot said "Get it down" close to touchdown. As suggested, "Go Around" might have been a better call.... and without worrying whether the aircraft had, or was about to touchdown...

The point about reverse is that once reverse has been selected, to go around would be very nasty, potentially fatal, should one reverser not restow correctly.

<<Also, how would you figure a new rotate speed?>>
Well - the bugged Vref would be a good starter for 10... once power has stabilised. A bit too much speed will not hurt at all....

NoD

TopBunk
20th Aug 2003, 16:33
df1

A speed reduction would have occurred after touchdown, but don't forget that you're at the beginning of the runway at say 120kts, with perhaps 3000m remaining - a lot faster than you are when you commence the take off roll!

Intruder
20th Aug 2003, 22:31
Also, your landing weight is, on the average, MUCH less than takeoff weight, so less runway will be needed to accelerate to the lower rotation/takeoff speed.

In practical terms, I cannot think of a situation where a go-around after commencing braking would be advisable. Takeoff roll would not be that much shorter than a max-braking rollout. If you were to hit something on the runway, doing it at as low a speed as possible would be preferable...

Number Cruncher
21st Aug 2003, 04:54
Do go arounds occur often with airlines?

I've flown many times but didn't experience a go around until last Sunday (B735 into Stansted from Prague very close to touchdown). As PPL holder it didn't seem a big deal, but to everyone else, well....

Presumably they can be both pilot and/or ATC initiated assuming flying into a full ATC field?

JJflyer
21st Aug 2003, 07:07
Long long time ago in London Gatwick ( Must have been around 1984 or 1985) with a Finnair DC10-30. My old man flying, cleared to land, touch down and at the same second a B747 tail emerges from the fog. Go around. On next attempt no aircraft on RWY other the one that was supposed to be on it.

Cheers

JJ