PDA

View Full Version : Was there an Emergency Landing at LGW around 4pm today?

J-Class
18th Aug 2003, 00:19
Was there an Emergency Landing at LGW around 4pm today?

I was sitting in the garden in Holmbury St. Mary, Surrey (on the North downs - not far from OCK) at this time when a plane - possibly a 757 or 767 - flew over very low (I estimate no more than 2,500 ft) in a sharp bank and descent to take it down to LGW. I followed its 180 degree turn and its descent for as long as I could - but I can't see Gatwick landings from my garden. It looked very unlikely that the pilot would manage to line up with the LGW runway given where he was in the sky.

Couldn't tell airline markings - I think the aircraft had a dark underbelly (possibly grey?). I also thought that one of the engines was producing a fine line of bit of black smoke and the other wasn't - although it didn't appear serious.

Everybody was rather taken aback by the low level of this plane - we are used to getting a lot of traffic stacking for LHR, plus plenty of high level transit traffic. We don't normally get LGW approaches - the LGW approach traffic is visible in the far distance. This plane must have joined the final approach to LGW with a few feet to spare.

I must admit that the women and children in the garden were all rather scared, and I jumped up to follow the plane's progress - something was definitely wrong.

Anyone know any more?

pilotwolf
18th Aug 2003, 00:56
May be the Nimrod returning from Redhill show?

SilentHandover
18th Aug 2003, 01:28
It was indeed the Nimrod, it got airborne from 08R at Gatwick, turned left, did an overshoot at Redhill for their display and then pootled off to Eastbourne for a display there.
Looked very impressive from the tower. The skipper of a Birdseed was obviously impressed as he asked for a look around the Old Bird when she landed.

Mattuk
18th Aug 2003, 02:10
I was at the Eastbourne Airshow on Friday. It was fantastic and the red arrows especially were something else!

To my knowledge I think a Nimrod didn't turn up because they had an engine failure (heard this from the bloke on the PA). Don't know if it is related but if it was the same aircraft, it might be?!

Matt

J-Class
18th Aug 2003, 02:37
The Nimrod - that makes sense, especially with the colour I thought I saw.

Glad to hear it was a planned event - it certainly woke me up out of my Sunday afternoon slumber, and it was certainly banking at at an unusual angle for a civilian plane.

Also explains why it was so loud - I guess its engines aren't the most modern!

Random Electron
18th Aug 2003, 05:49
Why is it that when it is parked at it's West Park stand, it always seems to have it's bomb bay doors open? Surely they were not arming it??

Bumblebee
18th Aug 2003, 08:20
Last year they had it parked up all week next to the old Comet...
Oh....I dunno......what lengths will the RAF go to, to get spare parts these days..? :rolleyes: