PDA

View Full Version : BWIA - What are they like?

Ianj
17th Aug 2003, 23:39
Hi!

Just wondering if any body can give me some information on BWIA and what are they like to travel with and would like to hear other peoples experiences with them.

I am due to fly with them soon Heathrow to St Lucia and wondered if any one had any information on Service and what to expect.

I have also heard that they use the very dated Tristars and wondered if they would use this a/c for this route or whether they would use the A340 which they now have.

Thanks for any info.

Ian J.

BAe 146-100
18th Aug 2003, 00:30
Hi,

I have not flown on BWIA, they use the A340-300 mostly to LHR. This (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/279477/M/) picture of the Tristar cabin show how dated it looks. :yuk: Although I'm sure that the A340 cabin will be much better :ok:.

BAe 146-100

Mr A Tis
18th Aug 2003, 03:42
Well I flew on their ancient L1011 last year. Relax, it is now grounded. However they do wet lease a Portugese L1011 for some services into LHR & the weekly MAN service.
We were bussed out from the gate at MAN to the wrong aircraft ( a Virgin 747)

My return trip from BGI to MAN was cancelled, we were eventually flown out to Trinidad and then eventually to LHR, where our shuttle tickets were deemed wrongly made out by BWEE, arriving in MAN about 9 hours late.

Their single A340 is ex Air Canada & does NOT have seat back entertainment & one of the toilet doors fell off. Apart from that it was a good trip, you pay for all drinks in economy.

You get the traditional Barbaden feel as soon as you step aboard, chilled out , relaxed & laid back, we're late.........but hey were're here.......have some rum punch. Crews seemed friendly enough.

Tower Ranger
18th Aug 2003, 03:56
HI IANJ

I flew to Trinidad POS via St Lucia last year on thier "brand new" A340. Expect the absolute basic service and you won`t be disappointed. Expect everhing to work and you`ll be extremely dissappointed.
Didn`t get off to the best start, two hours late out of Heathrow due a slot they said . Balix they where loading cargo untill twenty mins before departure and wouldn`t do anything about air conditioning so some pax forced cabin crew to open the doors.
En route service was ok but food wasn`t and the nearest TV screen was about 20ft away which didnt matter because because both our seats were bust and couldn`t get sound anyway (on the way back one worked). The pull down table on one of the seats was bust so we had an intimate lunch using mine.
We paid F all for the seats so couldn`t really complain it took off flew straight n level for quite a while n landed Ok but I`ll never be on one again!
Good luck TR

BAe 146-100
18th Aug 2003, 04:50
Hi,

Mr A Tis, the airline that operated some services from MAN was Euro Atlantic using the L1011. BWIA are now using Air Plus Comet 747-200's and also European 747-200's from MAN.

BAe 146-100

Wycombe
18th Aug 2003, 18:40
I flew to UVF with VS last November (the Sunday non-stopper from LGW)

The pax that should have arrived on the BWee 340 shortly after us didn't arrive until the next day - courtesy of, I think, Air Atlanta, who positioned a 747-200 into LHR to operate the service - if you were only going to the Carribean for a week, this would would be a real pi55er.

There was a supplement on our Package to fly with VS (or BA) over BWee, but I'm glad we paid it.

VS have also added more flights since then.