PDA

View Full Version : CRM definition?

PFM
9th Mar 2001, 19:04
Does anyone have a practical CRM definition? The company I work for has adopted an absoulte "War and Peace" sized definition.

VH_KAM
10th Mar 2001, 02:30
CRM is the effective utilization of all available resources - information, equipment and people - to achieve safe and efficient flight operations.

Barbers Pole
10th Mar 2001, 02:38
We now call it Crew Resource Management, having combined cabin/flight deck CRM training.

An active process to identify threats to safety, communicate them to the PinC, carry out a plan to avoid & mitigate their potential consequences.
Instruction on the limits of human error & the nature of error & how to manage errors once they occur.

SentryIP
10th Mar 2001, 17:04
PFM,

Teamwork and crew coordination required to safely and effectively achieve a common, well defined goal. However, I also like vh_kam's definition.

Amin http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

------------------
FIRST, FLY THE AIRPLANE!
[email protected]

Gentleman Aviator
10th Mar 2001, 21:57
Greetings,

I recently attended a CRM Trainers Course. Those of us on the course created our own definition over a cup of tea:

"CRM is the effective use of all available resources, teamwork & open communication to promote safe, professional operations"

Terribly difficult not to blah on into multi-sentence nonsense!

fernando
15th Mar 2001, 04:07
It should be Company Resource Management, and not just crew or cockpit, cause the entire company is involved in getting the aircraft from A to B in a safe and efficient way.

F/O Goon
16th Mar 2001, 20:05
Here here Fernando.

In my forums I always call it Company Resource Management.

One of the original definitions came from John Lauber (NTSB 1982) <one of the original CRM Gurus>:

"CRM is the use of all available resources - Software, Hardware, and Liveware - to accomplish a safe and efficient flight."

(Yes - the term "Liveware" does make me shudder a little.... but I use this quote because it is "from the horse's mouth" so to speak!)

Or, alternatively, you could try:
CRM = Captain's Right Mate!!!

.....works for some people!!

:) :) :)