PDA

View Full Version : Nescafe instant hot coffee or something much worse !!?

parkfell
29th Nov 2001, 01:41
I saw this product the other day. It looks about the same size as a tin of coke, but is in fact "instant hot coffee". You just press the red button on the botton of the container, and instant hot coffee thanks to an exothermal reaction.

Fine on the ground, but what about activating it at altitude. Boiling point being a function of pressure etc etc.

Should this be allowed on board? What would happens if accidentally activated in the hold at altitude?

Worth a closer look perhaps? :eek:

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: parkfell ]

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: parkfell ]

karrank
30th Nov 2001, 14:03
Should go well with Qantas domestic's new in-flight meals, consisting of a sturdy cardboard box with three biscuits and a block of mouse trap... :rolleyes:

Deaf
1st Dec 2001, 03:05
From the point of view of boiling it should be ok if it is arranged so you can't have a boiler explosion type of thingy. The extra heat would just go in vapourizing a small amount of water.

The other question is what is the exothermic reaction and what are the end products. IIRC(hazy) some of these self heating cans had caustic materials which is not good for a/c structures.

LevelFive
1st Dec 2001, 19:52
Instant hot coffee in a can/tin hasn’t made it to the states yet. How does it taste? Does it come in different flavors, sweetened, cream? It sounds like just the thing for flight crews who are now barricaded in the cockpit.

ohitsmonday
1st Dec 2001, 22:36
Parkfell
Currently brought to several UK charters attention this week. Checked out the chemicals that react to create the heat - non classified as DG.
As for the heat itself, I tested one, the coffee was luke warm (Level 5, it tasted awful). On first appraisal I don't think there is much danger from them, but certainly warrants further investigation.