PDA

View Full Version : New version of the 747 ?

concordino
12th Aug 2003, 23:32
Have recently read that Boeing is offering a version of the 747 called 747 advanced.

Seems that Cathay is a potential buyer for Boeing's latest offer.

Does anyone have anymore details to this news or yet a performance sheet.

BTW i have tried Boeing's recent press releases but no luck.

Thanks

ORAC
12th Aug 2003, 23:59
747 Advanced (http://www.fischer.homeip.net/747adv.pdf)

The key problem, however, is the intended use of the 7E7 engines. They're being designed as bleedless engines. That is intended to stop Airbus using them as an option on updated models of their present jets. Change that, to accommodate the 747, and you let them in as well.

747FOCAL
13th Aug 2003, 01:17
Where did you get the pdf info on the 747Advanced? :O

ORAC
13th Aug 2003, 01:32
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.... :ooh:

Notso Fantastic
13th Aug 2003, 02:03
What a beauty! What a great design. Incredible to think the 747 has been passenger flying for one third the time since the Wright Bros first flew! That if the B52 stays in service as long as projected, it will be in operation for almost a century! Way to go, Boeing!

RogerTangoFoxtrotIndigo
13th Aug 2003, 17:15
Reading through flight on R-R's proposed 7E7 engine, they are looking to use a Scaled Trent 900 core which they are developing for the A380. They say that bleed air or no bleed air is not really a problem.

This is another Boeing red herring as they look to spend $10 billion on reinventing the A330. Taking this to its logical conclusion if R-R develop a super efficent engine for whatever bull Boeing are feeding the press today, it will make the A380 even more fuel concious and may even fly on an A380 before the 747 XYZstrechER IGW. In short they are cutting their own throats.

Boeing are running this as a spoiler because of the paris sucess of the A380. There is no way that a 40 year old design is going to be more efficent than a modern one. I even saw an article saying that boeing had a bolt on body kit that improves aerodynamic efficency by exploiting the area rule, woooooooooo! new thinking if you dont count the BAC lightining designed in the 50's

Boeing desperation pure and simple.

concordino
13th Aug 2003, 18:25
ORAC,

I am unable to download the link, tried many times but no luck.

I hope i am not missing a lot.

Let me know if you have an alternative method to viewing it.

Cheers

Pax Vobiscum
13th Aug 2003, 19:31
Works for me, concordino, a 2.5MB PDF.

Do I get a prize for spotting the typo on p3 (reads 131 in business class - should be 85)?

I really must get out more :O

canuck slf
16th Aug 2003, 01:44
Can anybody tell me what these trailing edge wedges do?
I can imagine it is an aerodynamic improvement, but what are they and how do they improve the wing performance?

Thanks in advance.