View Full Version : Customs At French Airfields - Help!

Pollyana
9th Aug 2003, 17:57
I am flying to Abbeville from Shoreham. Abbeville is a customs on request airfield. No one speaks english at Abbeville to ask them! How do i go about informing customs that i am on my way? Is there a number I have to call or a fax? or do the FBO sort it out? (ie. Abbeville?)

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Aug 2003, 19:55
P

Have you had a look at the appropriate plate in your flightguide?

Hampered by sleeping nipper on one arm, let me know if it isn't on there and will get mine out.

FD

Keef
9th Aug 2003, 20:43
I usually fax the Customs number at Abbeville a day or so before, with details of ETA and folks on board. Never yet had any more interest than a message to phone from the airport when we arrive (once). "Merci, monsieur" when we did.

It's "autoinfo" so circuit calls in French on the "Unicom" frequency. But you know all that from the AIP or your Flight Guide.

Fujiflyer
9th Aug 2003, 21:09
Pollyana

I have had a similar problem myself, several times. My solution has been to translate my request into French using http://ets.freetranslation.com/. Watch it though, some of the translation results have been total rubbish. I think though if you call them (0033 3 22 24 05 21), try and get the fax number and then fax your details through including passport numbers then all should be okay (keep a copy of the fax, to take with you).

One thing: Do remember that you must also have Customs clearance on your return. I got a bollocking at Tours last year for not doing so - I did not realise this requirement.

An option which you may want to consider is stopping at Le Touquet where you don't need to give advance notice. Then you are covered for all further European flights except for the return to the UK.

flymeboy
9th Aug 2003, 22:26
FD,
No, the flightguide just says "Customs on Request". we will fax them as suggested - then they have it all in front of them - probably easier than trying to do it over the phone in schoolgirl French!
Thanks guys,
Pollyana :O

bluskis
9th Aug 2003, 23:07
Nothing has changed since my last post on Abbville.

According to Jep. Customs requirement is 24 hours notice.

Phone no given is 0033 3 222 40521.

you probably won't get an answer between 2.15 and 3.45 pm local time

Fax no is 53980 .