PDA

View Full Version : ATC Visits - USA

spudskier
8th Aug 2003, 11:24
I know, there have been one or two other threads about this.... but in the US is it possible to get a tour of an ARTCC or Class C or higher control tower? (PPL working on Inst/Comm)

I was told at the Dayton Airshow by the head ATC supervisor there that they didn't do visits anymore after 9/11 and would possibly consider it if the alert level went down to green or blue... or if i knew a controller personally who could vouch for me...

anyone else run into the same thing? Not talking about Class D towers... been in those.

Scott Voigt
9th Aug 2003, 09:33
Spudskier;

At this moment, the security condition is such that we are not allowing visitors who are not of an operational need or govt. employee. I keep hoping that it will end so that we can get back to teaching Raincheck...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety and Technology Chairman

FWA NATCA
9th Aug 2003, 10:24
Spudskier,

I wouldn't give up on visiting a US facility yet, contact the facilities that you would like to visit and or the regional office for that facility. With enough advanced notice you may be able to visit them. They may preform a security background check first but that will depend on what country that you are from.

At the EAA air show in OSH last week we had the six French pilots that flew the Beluga to OSH up to the control tower for a visit after coordination with the Regional Office.

I also gave them one of the coveted Controller Pink Oshkosh shirts as a gift.

Mike

spudskier
11th Aug 2003, 21:08
FWA, very nice!!!

Thanks, I'll keep trying. I am from the states, lived here all my life. and if it meant I could get a tour I'd have no problem submitting to a background check.

I can completely understand how they'd be wary of letting tours into ATC facilities. It's just too bad it has to be this way... even the FAR/AIM recommends pilots get a tour of ATC facilities! or excuse me, "highly encourages"

FWA NATCA
13th Aug 2003, 01:57
Spudskier,

Since you are a US citizen all you need to do is call the nearest facility and request a tour.

Mike R

cb9002
14th Aug 2003, 02:23
Mike

Doesn't seem to work like that...

Boston area say no visits, seems inevitable so I thought I would try a smaller facillty.

Phoned up my local airport (Lebanon, NH) who also said

No visits for anyone due to FAA "Alert condition Orange"

What the hell would a terrorist do at Lebanon airport? Spit at one of the cessnas?

contact_tower
14th Aug 2003, 05:05
I dare say the yanks are getting a bit paranoid.

I mean, it's fine to be causious, but surely there must be limits?

Scott Voigt
14th Aug 2003, 05:07
From some folks in govt security there are no limits <sigh>.

Scott