PDA

View Full Version : Is This You???

Soulman
7th Aug 2003, 18:39
Hey Guys,

Was surfing Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/) this evening and I came across this:

Woo Hoo! (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/397386/M/)

Any RAF guys out there like to shed some light on the fun they get up to at Mach Loop? :p

Cheers,

Souls.

P.S > As always, photo remains copyright Dimitris Triadafillou

Runaway Gun
7th Aug 2003, 21:16
Great photo there. Although they aren't pulling that hard - the old Dom is restricted to 2Gs. Still, beats a desk job.:ok:

pulse1
7th Aug 2003, 21:36
I seem to remember a pilot being cout martialled for rolling a Dominie. Anyone know what happened to him? Must have been in the 70's.

PS. I think that the guy in the back of the Hawk is making it clear that if there's any blame for whatever happens, it isn't him.

Bob Viking
8th Aug 2003, 01:12
I think anyone who has been through 208 sqn will agree that the mach loop is a great little playground. Going through the A5 pass at the end of almost every low level trip is a bit special as well.
To all those who are wondering why I didn't mention 19 sqn, I'm currently doing my tac weapons in a much flatter environment, so I can't speak for them!

warplane.co.uk
8th Aug 2003, 04:21
Snapped this F3 going round the loop in June. Lost or just concentrating?

http://www.warplane.co.uk/bondcar/f3_cockpit_13june.jpg

Closer....

http://www.warplane.co.uk/bondcar/next_right_then_straight_on.jpg

regards
Chris

Whipping Boy's SATCO
8th Aug 2003, 14:11
Probably just filling-in some pointless bit of paperwork (1771, OJAR, 292 etc)....................

Huron Topp
8th Aug 2003, 20:24
Take-away menu, maybe?:ok:

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2003, 03:40
Has the official report on Dimitris's AIRPROX (first pic) come out yet? :E

Runaway Gun
9th Aug 2003, 04:38
Domitris uses a digital SLR, with a 400mm Image Stabilized lens. With the digital SLR sensor being two thirds the size of a regular film SLR pickup, the lens is magnified to the power of 1.5. This means that his camera has the use of a 600mm lens, and that's before he has possibly used his teleconverter. This is a huge magnification. And when sitting on top of a hill above the target aircraft, he gets some fantastic shots.

The Dominie crew is certainly flying within the limits.

Ex Douglas Driver
9th Aug 2003, 11:28
Runaway, I take it that with all that techno speak, it was you trying to pull the wings of the Dominie?

You, hat, Boss' office, noooooow!!

:E :E

warplane.co.uk
9th Aug 2003, 14:42
Just to second Runaway's comments.

The location which the Dominie was shot from is around 500ft up, the bend in the road behind the aircraft is approx 1 mile from the photographic location. The compression of perspective caused by big lenses makes the Dominie look like it is flying much lower and closer to the road than it actually is. The use of a 6megapixel camera also allows for a great degree of cropping when producing an 800x600 monitor picture - Making the aircraft look bigger in the frame.

As fun as the Loop is (for us up the hills as well as those tearing through), we never see anything that makes you wonder about safety, the low level work always seems to be done with the uttermost professionalism - keep it up and keep coming down the vallies!

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2003, 21:09
Runaway Gun and Warplane,

I take it neither of you knows what an AIRPROX is then?

Clue: It has NOTHING to do with height.

Runaway Gun
9th Aug 2003, 22:25
ST,

I know exactly what an AIRPROX is, but since this photo does not involve a second aircraft, I only assumed you were relating it's proximity to the ground/photographer/powerline/bridge or some other random object. If there is another aircraft in the frame that is in a dangerous situation then I'm sorry - but I can't see it.

:confused:

Cheers, RG.

ShyTorque
10th Aug 2003, 01:12
RG,

Glad you know about AIRPROXs but I have never heard it used relative to a single low flying aircraft before, it certainly has NOWT to do with the 500ft rule and they are never used to apportion blame.

The other aircraft involved in the "AIRPROX" WOULD have been the one flying towards the Dominie, i.e. the pilot's eye view of it would have been the same as ours.

HEY, BUT I WAS JOKING!

Tsk. Some people are SO defensive :\

:ok:

Runaway Gun
10th Aug 2003, 01:32
Ex DD, No Sir, it wasn't me. My days of low flying (legal or otherwise) are pretty much over.

Shy Torque, Well done !! You got me - I bit way too hard.

Warplane, thanks for your support. Please send in some more of your photos.

Cheers, RG. ;)

FFP
10th Aug 2003, 19:45
Runaway !

Fear not me old ! I was below 250` twice whilst flying this w/end . . . . . . . . . . . . :ok:

MajorMadMax
10th Aug 2003, 19:47
How 'bout this one?

http://www.airshowaction.com/oldbox1/015.jpg

:ok: Cheers! M2

This is the other shot I was thinking about...those were the "days"! :ok:

http://www.ae.utexas.edu/~aiaa/webgraphics/f4.jpg

Cheers! M2

Runaway Gun
10th Aug 2003, 19:58
From what I remember from reading the SOP's, AIP's and VFG's and the like: Low Flying is excepted when taking off and landing.

But then, I'm pretty rusty on the theory. :p

It makes it hard to explain why after a very low pass you were inverted at Vne, didn't have your gear down, and that your parents house didn't have a runway in the backyard.

MajorMadMax
10th Aug 2003, 20:03
OK, I have a nice pic of a F-4 in Turkey just above the highway, if anyone has a way of hosting it on a web site to post here please PM me.

Cheers! M2

jungly
10th Aug 2003, 23:50
Agreed the DOM shot is super.... nice work and beats FL350 et al - but just wondering why at Low Level these pilots arent wearing helmets/visors?
Whats the birdstrike protection like on the DOM? (or perhaps they just dont fly that fast?)

Serious questions...so if youre one of the, thankfully few, uptight crab-fats not interested in giving a useful answer....please refrain.

Runaway Gun
11th Aug 2003, 04:24
They certainly are fast enough, up near 300kts, but the crew are not supplied with helmets. That's a lot of V squares with a rooster impact!

Semicolon
12th Aug 2003, 03:36
The Dom averages 210 at LL, 300kts is 20 above Vne. Dom crews don't need helmets or visors for protection, their sheer professionalism is protection enough against suicidal birds.

Runaway Gun
12th Aug 2003, 06:29
Yeah Okay, I said about 300kts, but to be exact it's 284 KIAS, if my Jane's all the world aircraft book is to be believed.
An average speed of 210 may be right, but we're talking about worst case scenario, where the TOT is only reachable at near full throttle, an impact with suicidal chickens who jump real high and are wearing their own helmets. Taking into account the chicken's forward airspeed (with a 10 knot tailwind at a 25% downward gradient as it jumps off the hill) then you can easily see a 300kt impact.
Besides, I'd love to see a Nav sortie take place at that exact speed with the stud changing his mind every few minutes "we are late- go faster"" soon to be followed by "oh no, we're early - go slower!" , and "Lookout Captain - Kamikaze Chooks!" :p

ft
12th Aug 2003, 16:51
If someone can host a 23 meg AVI, I have one of some spectacular low-flying by (I think) the French AF. Drop me a PM or something.

Dunno if I can mail it out though... anyone know what I'm talking about and where to D/L it?

While we wait, some amazing air footage (http://www.df.lth.se/~michael/Ghost.mpeg) of a local piece of pride and joy.

And another film clip (http://www01.peoplebank.com/staff/damir/videos/waddington-2000/wmv/vigen-landing.wmv), something for the fast jet drivers out there to try to copy.

Cheers,
Fred

Ralf Wiggum
12th Aug 2003, 21:26
FT,

The first Mpeg is huge (42MB). Perhaps you ought to warn eveyone of it's size!!! It took me a while to download and I have Broadband.

As for the movie, very slick yes, but how on earth did Seweeden ever win the eurovision song contest with songwriting like that on the Mpeg?!

ft
12th Aug 2003, 21:50
Ralf,
figured it'd stream. It didn't? Well, they're warned now. :)

Yeah, I was gonna put in a warning to mute the sound but forgot. Whoever made the music selection should be used for separation testing!

If he or she has realized the error of his/her ways and is really sorry about it, we'll make it a drop of retarded munition... ;)

Cheers,
Fred

Runaway Gun
12th Aug 2003, 22:03
Sure, it's a huge download, but the quality is great. Terrific to see something a little bit different for a change. As for the soundtrack, at least it wasn't Billy Ray Cyrus !!

Banggearo
13th Aug 2003, 01:36
Great download more of the same please, am I going mad or did anyone else spot the one imposter in the film (the mighty Fin). As for the soundtrack, maybe I've been over here too long, but I quite like it.

contact_tower
13th Aug 2003, 04:45
Ahh.... The Ghost Sqn from Ängelholm, my former workplace. Shame it's closed though.

Fox3snapshot
13th Aug 2003, 15:01
Hey guys, try compressing the videos to reduce the download size. Plenty of programs out there that do it and the quality will hold up if done properly......not evryone has the squizzy broadband and my "one's and zero's" are delivered by camel out here.

Some of the pics and general themes here are repeats of the old thread on page 12 (currently may move slightly as posts go up) "Shocking example of low flying" also worth a look is "low flying Omani Jags" further back on the posts.

Good Better Best
Never let it rest
Till the Good is better
and the better best!

:ok: