PDA

View Full Version : Concorde aog at JFK

TopBunk
7th Aug 2003, 00:08
Apparently one concorde is aog at JFK. Departed LHR 5/8 and landed JFK having shut down #3 engine at some point. On ground it was discovered that the firewall between #3 and #4 had burnt through. Requires both engines to be taken off to fix.

FarTooManyUsers
7th Aug 2003, 04:23
Did the aircraft return to London this evening ? I saw a Concorde over Knightsbridge on approach to LHR this evening around 8pm.

The return flight is showing on the BA website as cancelled.

Max Angle
7th Aug 2003, 05:34
BA must be looking forward to October when they can get rid of Concorde. Sad to say it but the old bird seems to be getting a bit past it. Never thought I would hear myself say it but the time has come for it bow out gracefully and I think BA are doing the right thing. They may wish that they had stopped a little earlier.

Airline Tycoon
7th Aug 2003, 05:38
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98234

gordonroxburgh
7th Aug 2003, 19:33
G-BOAD returned last night (6th Aug)
G-BOAC was on the LHR-JFK flight

alexis_lambert
7th Aug 2003, 22:10
How do you find out exactly when and what time Concorde flies?

SteveQB
7th Aug 2003, 22:49
I find http://www.flightarrivals.com to be pretty accurate (only for flights to/ from and within the US though).

Steve

FarTooManyUsers
8th Aug 2003, 00:36
BA0002 has a predicted arrival time of 19:09 this evening - anybody know why ?

NigelOnDraft
8th Aug 2003, 01:21
I hope you're taking the p*ss - or this website is going to get very full if we diagnose every time a flight is 1 hour late!

NoD

Airline Tycoon
8th Aug 2003, 01:21
alexis_lambert,

Departing Heathrow BA001 is scheduled off blocks at 1830L. If its ontime expect take off at the following times:

Runway 27R 1850-1900

Runway 09L 1855-1905

Concorde does not depart from 27L/09R

Arriving into Heathrow BA002 is scheduled to arrive "on stand" at 1800L but it could "land" as early as 1715L. Best check BAA or BA website for estimated arrival time.

Concorde will land on which ever runway is active for arrivals.

Hope this helps.

gas path
8th Aug 2003, 01:30
On ground it was discovered that the firewall between #3 and #4 had burnt through. Requires both engines to be taken off to fix.
Actually a pneumatic duct clamp had failed and the resulting hot air leak caused the fire warning, The damage consisted of heat damage to the fibreglass insulation blanket which has been replaced. It did not require engine removal and it did not burn through the firewall!

donder10
8th Aug 2003, 04:57
Did it just return as BA9150?

PierreH
8th Aug 2003, 05:40
Was 90 mins late out of JFK due to minimum rest time limits for crew arriving on BA1 the night before - they had to stop in Gander on their way to JFK and hence the extra time needed.

BA2 would have made up more time if we didn't have to hold over Weybridge.

Top flight - Thanks to all concerned !!

PierreH

411A
8th Aug 2003, 10:12
Stop at Gander?
Just like in the old days, with the Stratocruiser.

My, how the N Atlantic aviation scene has come full circle.
Bring back the 1649's and DC7C's....at least they could make it nonstop:E

Jordan D
8th Aug 2003, 18:05
What was the reason for Concorde's unscheduled arrival in Gander?

Jordan

Rollingthunder
8th Aug 2003, 18:11
Well, the media has reported it as a re-fueliing stop due to high fuel burn due high air temps at the moment. Wait to be corrected.

Paterbrat
8th Aug 2003, 18:59
On the flight path to Heathrow and look out the window every time I hear her, she continues to be irrisistable and all the more so when I realise she will be gone soon.

Guessing that it was due a re-release requirement on the Gander stop RollingT.

Those were fat ladies in comparison 411A, I have been swept of my feet by beauty.

gordonroxburgh
8th Aug 2003, 19:53
The Gander stopover was for performance issues on the dept and climbout from LHR due to the heat.

Crew had a fuel plan for both but Gander always looked likely as the a/c was BA heaviest (G-BOAC) and it was full with 100 pax.

The BA001 the following day was delayed by 90mins to allow the temp to drop down to around 27/28C, so that a stop would not be required.

PAXboy
8th Aug 2003, 21:01
Given the temperature, I expect that we shall have the same again today.

Note that I cannot resist saying 'we'? I am scheduled on BA0001 today and still cannot believe that it is going to happen. All the years and now ... tell you about it later! :)

Fright Level
8th Aug 2003, 21:18
What was the reason for Concorde's unscheduled arrival in Gander?

Unusually high temperature is the reason. Not sure if this is cruise alt related having never been up there, or lower fuel sg due high ambient.

donder10
8th Aug 2003, 22:50
It went out with a full load and so with the very high temperature didn't have enough gas left to make it JFK.

411A
8th Aug 2003, 22:59
Just goes to show how really impractical Concorde is...fast, absolutely, sleek, yes.
But when you have to make a fuel stop (or delay departure), then it's suddenly not so fast, and the fuel cost is even more, with the stop.

Bring back the DC-7C....or even 707. :E

Jordan D
9th Aug 2003, 00:07
Now come on 441A ... I think more of the world's pop would fly on the bird rather than on any old 707 .... still the best by far ...

now here's a thought .. when the economy picks up, why not take out the plans for Concorde that are in some Airbus vault, and build a few more models ... or is that plain stupid? (sorry about the pun!)

Jordan

BahrainLad
9th Aug 2003, 00:30
Airbus have got a lot more in their vault than that Jordan!

The plans for the BAE AST (Advanced Supersonic Transport) for one..........

Fright Level
9th Aug 2003, 01:53
There is an AF Concorde on the ramp at Dulles. I thought AF had already stopped flying them? It's parked next to an old Dak though, so perhaps they're setting up a little museum in the corner?

The_Banking_Scot
9th Aug 2003, 01:58
Hi Jordan D,

I think it had something to do with the high tempreatures at LHR that day affecting the fuel load?

Not sure on the full technical reason:confused:

However I'm sure we will be enlighted soon.:O

Regards

TBS

JW411
9th Aug 2003, 03:15
EDDNR:

The "little museum" that they are setting up in a corner at IAD is probably the biggest aircraft museum in the world!

It is called the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Centre of the National Air and Space Museum which you might know alternatively as the Smithsonian. It is due to open soon.

PAXboy
10th Aug 2003, 07:48
Feed back on 0001 Friday 8th

If you disagree with what I report here, then take it up with the captain of the flight as all information as heard from the captain as I was sitting in 17c. ;)

Departure delayed due to repair of a fault with the actuator of one of the engine vents required for supersonic flight.

We sweated in the cabin for 40 mins as it was one of those "We think we can fix it any second" faults and not worth putting us back in the loung. On reflection - they should have! The external air con truck could not handle the heat and it was a sauna.

We briefed for Gander stop as we were also limited on departure. We had to go out 27R, due to maintenance work on 27L, "Currently a ramp in the middle of the runway, due to resurfacing and that could damage the nose gear."

Made it in one hop, due to fuel saving exercises undertaken by crew. Flight time 3 hours 24 minutes. Some of us did rather wish that we had to make the stop in Gander!!

Yes, it was rather fun. But I won't talk about it here as I will never stop. :)

Fright Level
10th Aug 2003, 19:00
JW411 thanks for the info, I only saw two "museum class" planes there, Concorde and the Dak ;-)

Looks like Concorde will be WAT limited again today, so lucky pax possibly routing via Gander on todays service (PROB 20). Concorde relies heavily on fuel transfers for C of G and with full loads at the moment, the high temps are pushing the limits of flight planning.

Jordan D
11th Aug 2003, 22:46
How long are the flights going to continue via Gander? or is assesed day-by-day? Also why Gander?

Jordan

PAXboy
12th Aug 2003, 00:09
The flights are assessed one by one. On Friday, the captain advised of the possibility when we were in the lounge. He came through to use the PA.

During the flight he gave updates as to how the fuel burn was going. For example, external air temp was 10 degrees C higher than typical for the time of year and that persisted to more than the half way mark. We only had confirmation that we were going direct to NYC at the diversion point, just over two hours in. We made NYC in 3hrs 24mins.

Gander is chosen, I understand, since on departure the a/c can once again go supersonic on the 'hop' down to NYC and so make up some time.

Jordan D
12th Aug 2003, 19:21
Thanks PAXboy ... I was wondering why Gander (which is technically military if I remember correctly), as opposed to St Johns, which is down the road?

Jordan

Curious Pax
12th Aug 2003, 22:13
A slight deviation from the matter at hand, but no doubt many Ppruners put in for the Concorde tickets up for grabs during its last week with BA - anyone heard anything yet? One can always hope, but I suspect that I will spend the rest of my leaf being jealous of PAXboy!

PAXboy
13th Aug 2003, 01:05
Well CP, I wish I could have had all of the PPRuNe network along for the ride. I sat next to a retired fireman who was reasonable company but did bitch about a number of things. A fellow PPRuNer would have enjoyed it more, I suspect!

I plan a small item in the SLF forum shortly. Thus far - four days on - I am still bemused by the realisation of a boy hood dream. :D