PDA

View Full Version : ATC unit visit / LHR

FlightDetent
6th Aug 2003, 22:52
Hello everyone!

On numerous occasions I've noticed "invitations" to ATSUs in various forums over here. As I am due to fly one of our scheduled services to LHR in about two weeks time, I was wondering if there would be any restrictions to foreign nationals.

I'd indeed love to say hello and see the big picture. Furthermore I would be very grateful for any indeas how to arrange such a visit or peek. The more officialities that can be avoided the better, since I am elegible to speak for my company only as far as my private self.

Whole morning will be free for me to do so, that is any time any length needed not to detain or disturb anyone. And yes, we stay in one of 'em threshold hotels.

Thanks.

PS: I have not searched NATS web pages yet, I was hoping for a shortcut from you.:ooh: We love to take shortcuts just as as much as you love to make them for us. I know you do, don't be shy...!:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Aug 2003, 17:36
You need to contact ATCO TWO on here.. But be forewarned, they're all raving mad over there. It took me 23 years to escape and I still can't undo the straitjacket!

Enjoy it - it's a truly magic place.

Andrew Sinclair
7th Aug 2003, 19:11
It is a fantastic place.....I visited in June this year and wrote an article about it....here is an extract.

The Last part of the tour for me was indeed the most impressive, visual control, call-sign 'Heathrow Tower'. This is a small gallery at the top of the building. Here ATCOs control the departures, arrivals, ground traffic and even the airfield lighting. This is a seriously busy place and this was apparently a quite day. It is impressive to see a control (or whatever the collective noun for ATCOS is) of professional ATCOs at work. Methodical, cool and in control. At 3pm, the daily runway switch played out in front of us. Every day the departure traffic and the arrivals traffic swap parallel runways to provide better noise abatement. As a large ballet played out over hundreds of acres of land, it was the climax to an excellent day.

ATCO Two
7th Aug 2003, 19:49
FD,

Check your Private Messages.

HD,

Spend a fair bit of time at the "factory" nowadays with Thames - makes me feel quite young again! Thanks for arranging the do at BBs, it was excellent. Hope to see you soon.

Best,
A 2

Topofthestack
7th Aug 2003, 22:36
FD,

Just be aware that you might not get to see much out of the windows as you'll be constantly bowing to greater beings, and remember that all the really important work goes on about 3 miles north of there at the London Terminal Control Centre (LTCC)!

Jordan D
7th Aug 2003, 23:31
Just wondering if there are any special requirements ACTO Two to visit? I'd like to see what it was like, and I'm not flying anywhere soon ... just some young guy in the cadets going to Uni, who'd like to see what it was like ...

Jordan

Point Seven
8th Aug 2003, 06:46
FD

You will truly be in the presence of The Best Of The Best at the Tower of London.

If only Jerricho was there, all would be perfect....

P7